Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been a long saga of garbage. I bought a money pit with out getting it properly inspected with a buyers check (first mistake). I had issues with the car from the beginning. I had phantom problems with my V-tec solenoid, it had been replaced several times, and the oil was flushed, but it still had intermittent issues. I also had occasional valves misfiring. I even got my valves adjusted/realigned by the dealership under their recommendation when the car would stutter a bit on start up (intermittent). Eventually the stuttering got worse and I started getting a small amount of the dreaded grey smoke out of my tailpipe. (My original post about vtec issues, which seemed to be an early symptom)

Because I had no money, and because the smoke was such a small amount, my friend suggested i try some sealant in my radiator (second mistake). I don't suggest this route, it bought me a few months but now I wonder if I destroyed more in the engine. I will mention that my heat stopped working pretty immediately after I put this **** in my radiator, the grey smoke out the tail pipe did stop as well as the stuttering while starting.

Eventually, maybe two months later, when I was driving home one night i pulled over to make a few texts and left the car idling. It wasn't long before I noticed some steam coming out of my engine, my engine was overheating and my coolant reservoir was bubbling. You think they would add some annoying beeping if your engine is overheating instead of a dim light under your temp gauge...

I was sitting there idling for 3-7 minutes, as far as I know it could have been overheating before I even pulled over (I hadn't driven very far). So likely it was overheating for 5 minutes, but it could have been as long as 15(!).

so my question is: Now What? What is the probable damage/what else could I have destroyed through all of this?

As far as I can tell I have three options.

1. Get the head-gasket replaced, and take the head to a machine shop to regrind the surface if it needs it. (I have thought about doing the head-gasket my self. I'm not afraid, i've researched it quite a bit, but would be by far the biggest procedure i've done on an engine. ) Am I too far beyond it being worth doing the head-gasket?

2. just get a whole new(used) engine. I'm leaning towards this, because it's a similar price and i don't know what else that sealant ****ed up. (someone suggested if I can find a junkyard they might do the swap there themselves, and I could save some time and money this way).

3. junk the car (it has 130,000 miles on it, relatively good shape).

Please suggestions on how to proceed and other parts to test would be very appreciated!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Also plan on a new heater core and a new radiator and possibly all new coolant hoses from the ***t put into the radiator to plug your bad head gasket.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bet you are right about the heating core. The radiator how can i test it to know if i need a new one beyond a normal pressure test? Or do you think it's gone cause it's likely gunked up with sealant?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Definitely don't go with option C - get a low(er) mileage used engine and have it swapped out for the one you have. It will cost a bit up front but a lot cheaper than car payments. Given the unknown and seemingly dubious history of this engine,I wouldn't go the route of replacing the head gasket...just too many other things that could be wrong to make that $$ down a hole.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree with dgale. The issues of adding the sealant do add to the mix. If you could find a good Ins. Auction or private sale total that had a good lower miles engine plus the other parts you will need you could do okay, if you are handy.

The sealant would effect everything in the cooling system. The salvage vehicle could provide you with all the parts you would need.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For any one interested, i'm nearing the end of my engine swap. I put the element in storage for a few months as I had plans to go out of state and didn't have time for this project before I went.

First i replaced the heater core as well as the radiator, and cleaned everything else out to get rid of the sealant.

The swap isn't completely smoothed out, today I just got the engine started. Right now just dealing with any issues coming up, one of which seems to be a kind of exhaust leak somewhere, and fixed a loose fitting on the coolant. I'll make another update maybe with a few pictures (we didn't document it thoroughly by any means).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts