Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the vehicle is in decent shape except of the engine. I'm trying to figure out what my options are.
1. Replace the engine $5000 ( Expensive. Will I gen my money back? Where is break even point?)
2. Use a sealant and trade it in? ( Not a fan of passing my problems on )
3. Donate and take a big loss.
4. ????

Do you think it is worth it to put a new engine in an E at 200K miles for $5000?

What's the best way to sell a vehicle with a blown head gasket?

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
227 Posts
4. replace the head gasket with the engine cylinder head machined.
5. put in a used engine.

do you have a reason for the head gasket going bad?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Been there before with another vehicle.
1. Assess the body, interior. Before anything, make sure you are happy with the condition of the rest of the car. An investment in the engine only makes sense if the rest of the vehicle is worth it.
2. Try to find someone reliable that can do the work without shop rates. It's a big enough job that someone would be willing to take it on. Shop rates are gonna kill ya. I have an arrangement with a knowledgable guy where I pay cash with no receipts in exchange for a killer hourly deal. Makes all the difference.

It can be done in such a way where you can feel very good about the outcome. And then you know exactly what you got. It all comes down to the $$$$$$. Do some leg work. Ask around. Many people "have a guy" Find a good one

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do #4. Get a service manual, replace the head gasket yourself. Take your time, follow the instructions. Honda sells a gasket kit that includes all the gaskets and seals (head gasket, intake, exhaust, valve cover, VTEC seals, etc.) you need to replace the head. If your timing chain is still original, take the opportunity to do it and the tensioner as well. How much oil was it using? I did this to my daughter's 2008 at 205,000 plus pulled the pistons, honed the cylinders, and installed new rings and rod bearings to cure a quart almost every tank of gas oil consumption problem. With the head off, go ahead and have new valve seals installed.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi, the vehicle is in decent shape except of the engine. I'm trying to figure out what my options are.
1. Replace the engine $5000 ( Expensive. Will I gen my money back? Where is break even point?)
4. ????

Do you think it is worth it to put a new engine in an E at 200K miles for $5000?

Thanks
Scott
Since you are in the rust belt I have to ask, how bad is the rust on your E?
Also, did a repair shop quote you 5k? You should be able to get it done for half that. Lmk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Head gasket is easy and about $500 including planing the head.. there are Youtube videos that show you how to do it in about 4-5 hours total time not including the time at the machine shop. The the most frustrating part is setting the timing chain. Follow their directions and you won't screw up... it usually takes me 2-3 times because the chain jumps when you install the tensioner and you have to guess how much beforehand. The head gasket is not something you did wrong. Subaru and Honda of that vintage used a head gasket supplier that wasn't up to the job. The new ones hold great.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Head gasket is easy and about $500 including planing the head.. there are Youtube videos that show you how to do it in about 4-5 hours total time not including the time at the machine shop. The the most frustrating part is setting the timing chain. Follow their directions and you won't screw up... it usually takes me 2-3 times because the chain jumps when you install the tensioner and you have to guess how much beforehand. The head gasket is not something you did wrong. Subaru and Honda of that vintage used a head gasket supplier that wasn't up to the job. The new ones hold great.
Forgot to add... antifreeze clogs up cats so you MUST replace the cat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Someone backed into my 2003 EX with a trailer hitch and I did not know it. He put a hole in the radiator and it slowly dribble-drained. Long story short, 30 minutes later I was driving down the interstate with the temp gauge PEGGED. I saw no steam, of course, since it had no coolant whatsoever! The car had 260K miles and was running strong too. I hoped I caught it in time and replaced the radiator but it was too late for the engine. I wound up with a cracked head from the heat.

I found a used engine on ebay with a warranty and had it installed by my trusted local backyard mechanic for a total of $3200 (engine, labor, and parts). Now my E had 50K and a new lease on life and another 10+ years! If the REST of the car is still really good, that might be an option for you as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would recommend using Costco auto service. I had a blown head gasket too, and shopped around using the site and found a place that did it for less than $3,500.

Here's the link to my problem that might help you.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been there before with another vehicle.
1. Assess the body, interior. Before anything, make sure you are happy with the condition of the rest of the car. An investment in the engine only makes sense if the rest of the vehicle is worth it.
2. Try to find someone reliable that can do the work without shop rates. It's a big enough job that someone would be willing to take it on. Shop rates are gonna kill ya. I have an arrangement with a knowledgable guy where I pay cash with no receipts in exchange for a killer hourly deal. Makes all the difference.

It can be done in such a way where you can feel very good about the outcome. And then you know exactly what you got. It all comes down to the $$$$$$. Do some leg work. Ask around. Many people "have a guy" Find a good one
Thank you very much for your feedback. I think this is a very good option. Scott

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4. replace the head gasket with the engine cylinder head machined.
5. put in a used engine.

do you have a reason for the head gasket going bad?
Driving to work in May of 2019 the bottom band clamp let loose. All the coolant fell out and the temp gauge spiked before I realized what was wrong. Had it repaired and pressure tested and thought all was good. 10 Months later it starts to run hot. Take it in and it tests positive for blown head gasket. I think it took 10 months for the head gasket to finally go. But it is verified. Coolant and oil in cohabitation .

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do #4. Get a service manual, replace the head gasket yourself. Take your time, follow the instructions. Honda sells a gasket kit that includes all the gaskets and seals (head gasket, intake, exhaust, valve cover, VTEC seals, etc.) you need to replace the head. If your timing chain is still original, take the opportunity to do it and the tensioner as well. How much oil was it using? I did this to my daughter's 2008 at 205,000 plus pulled the pistons, honed the cylinders, and installed new rings and rod bearings to cure a quart almost every tank of gas oil consumption problem. With the head off, go ahead and have new valve seals installed.
Wow. I wonder if I am up to the job. Thanks for having such confidence in me. I do have the honda mx manual. I have most the tools. It seems like a new motor would be the easier choice.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since you are in the rust belt I have to ask, how bad is the rust on your E?
Also, did a repair shop quote you 5k? You should be able to get it done for half that. Lmk
I'm just North of Detroit and the the rust is moderate. The vehicle looks good. Very little surface rust.. but most of the 10MM fastener heads are reduced to 3/8 after I use pb blaster. So far removing the fasteners goes like this.
PB blaster ( back and front)
10MM box wrench. work back and forth till wrench slips .
PB blaster
Use a 3/8 wrench
and then finally the bolt will come free.

I've got the fans and rad out right not. Trying to get the thermostat out.I only have on bolt out of three free.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't see any discussion on using a sealant. Should I even try the sealant? I've bought blue devil. I'm trying to do that now.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
4. ????

Thanks
Scott
Just wanted to thank you to everyone for all the help thinking this through. As we discuss I get a little more confident.
Thank you very much.

Scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to thank you to everyone for all the help thinking this through. As we discuss I get a little more confident.
Thank you very much.

Scott
I bought my new E, unknowingly with a blown head gasket. It was minimally warped <.003mm> and fixable. If the heads are too warped, you need a new engine. It was 1700 for the head gasket repair but he threw in a ton of other things that needed doing for no extra labor cost. If you could find a new engine for less, you might opt for that, instead.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought my new E, unknowingly with a blown head gasket. It was minimally warped <.003mm> and fixable. If the heads are too warped, you need a new engine. It was 1700 for the head gasket repair but he threw in a ton of other things that needed doing for no extra labor cost. If you could find a new engine for less, you might opt for that, instead.
Thank you. I've decided not to apply a sealant for exactly your experience. I'm thinking I'm gonna do the head gasket myself.
Scott

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello everyone: I'm moving ahead with the head gasket repair. I'
Hi Fleetwd. No oil usage and I ran a total of 5 quarts of antifreeze through the engine before I stopped driving.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts