Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dear mother adored, wanted an Element badly. Well, she found one... although it appeared in rough condition. 113k miles. Red flags all over but my stepfather in the end pushed for it without even me really having a second opinion of it. So I'm in this for the long run and need help.

I have video if needed of the smoke in action if needed. This is only on acceleration. Engine sounds, feels fine. No weird noises. Rough idle when warmed up, shaky from low rpm. Can't really reverse without it dying. Considered the idling to be a different thing, tried to clean out throttle body but I feel it's not the issue even though I haven't yet turned it over after so (I'm slacking in putting the tubing back on, it was hell getting it off!).

Had a faulty vvt solenoid, leaked massive amounts of oil. Replaced entirely with a new one. Lots of oil remnants that probably need to be burned off. Could this be the issue? It hasn't really been driven much as it's still a tad scary for me to drive. The engine also smoked previously before which I suspect was the large amount of oil being burned. Engine emits smoke very mildly but nowhere near as bad previously, again I assume it's just remnants of oil being burned still.

Currently two check engine codes appeared, P0137 (O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage) & P0506 (Idle Air Control System RPM Lower Than Expected). P0137 appeared almost immediately after clearing the code.

I haven't yet checked PCV Valve and I'm inexperienced with doing a compression test... Anything else that I might have missed or could it have been from the vvt solenoid and I should continue driving to see if this smoke manages to go away? I know I kind of threw two or three completely different things here but I don't know if it's any or at all relevant. So I'm playing it safe. I'd appreciate any help to get this Element going, my mother and everyone here happy to see another tanking the roads. I'm a Toyota/Scion xB guy and my mother kind of fell in love from there but wanted something bigger.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!); 2008 LX FWD AT
1,720 Posts
If the blue smoke is from the tailpipe, then the engine is burning the oil Faulty/leaking VVT solenoid won't leak into the combustion chambers.

113,000 miles is due for a valve adjustment. Bad PVC system could be allowing oil mist from the crankcase to get pushed into the intake, which would then burn. If you can, do a leakdown test; it will help diagnose whether your rings are leaking (which would allow oil into the cylinders) or valves. Leaking valve intake valve seals will also allow oil into the cylinders.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
leaking VVT solenoid won't leak into the combustion chambers.
Arf...

113,000 miles is due for a valve adjustment.
Would I have to go to a dealership for something like this? Doing some research this seems Honda specific. Mechanics are very far and few inbetween here where I live unless I travel with it and I know it has to be limited. 10 miles away for a Honda dealership that might service... for an arm and a leg. I'm the third owner so I'm unsure if any warranty here applies and well... I forgot to mention it's a 2005 Honda Element. Far long gone for them to really care with love but would try and service.

Bad PVC system could be allowing oil mist from the crankcase to get pushed into the intake, which would then burn.
I'll check the PCV this week if I can. Seems like the obvious thing to check but I kind of did research as I went along without really checking that first.

If you can, do a leakdown test; it will help diagnose whether your rings are leaking (which would allow oil into the cylinders) or valves. Leaking valve intake valve seals will also allow oil into the cylinders.
I really hope this isn't the case. I'll try to get a friend along to help if the above isn't it. I can only really hope that it's the above.

I'll keep this posted so it isn't all for nothing. Really happy that I even got a response. Thanks man, appreciated! (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went ahead and replaced the PCV valve, it appears to have done a difference but not the difference I was hoping for immediately. The smoke kind of cleared up overtime or seemingly reduced but I'm unsure if differences should be immediate. It feels like it should be an immediate change... Going to do an oil change and give it a roll on it soon. Tropical storm here slowed things down as I was already slow enough. But I'll update once more if it clears up or if otherwise something else comes up. 🤙

1 - 4 of 4 Posts