Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All..

got tired of my stock head unit and aux cord for the iPod/iPhone. purchased an Alpine iDA-X305 with the bluetooth attachment. i think i got the head unit install dialed thanks to all the posted info on the forums here, but was wondering if anyone has installed the bluetooth in the E. i'm thinking of pulling the overhead storage compartment/map lights unit and drilling a hole on the left side 'runner' (almost overhead), and installing the mic there. then running the wire thru the headliner and on down to behind the dash...

my question is... has anyone had any luck, and/or done this? also.. is it going to be too noisy at highway speeds to even bother? mine is a bit quieter with two layers of carpet in the back, but it's still loudish at 70mph.

thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I use my Garmin Nuvi 760 for my bluetooth. I have a mic running from the Nuvi to the overhead console. I haven't embedded the mic inside the console yet. It is attached using the small plastic mount it comes with. I will eventually install it inside the console similar to what you describe.

It has worked very well so far even at highway speeds. I do not have any form of noise reduction installed on the car. No complaints yet. People on the other end can usually hear me clearly. Other times, it's mostly due to the signal.

There are two things that people have commented on, however.
  • One: When I am using it, there are many instances when my voice will still be clear, but the volume is lower on their end.
  • Two: There are also times when my voice sounds like I am talking from the bottom of a well or from down a tunnel without the echo for lack of a better description.
I say go for it. The only question I can think of in regards to the mic's performance is: Will the console structure convey enough sound to interfere with it?

When I finally embed mine in the console, I plan to use a bit of foam as a mounting point for the mic to act as kind of a buffer against any vibrations come from the console's structure. I am no engineer and cannot say if that will work, but I intend to test it. :roll:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Install complete...

hello all...

finished the install. looks pretty good and works well. i have yet to test it doing 70, but in the driveway sounded great! took about a day to do the entire install (a bit of screwing around getting the wiring correct). I stuck the bluetooth unit behind the stereo in a space towards the diver side.

Parts list to adapt HU to stock 7 speaker amp and speakers...

Alpine iDA-X305 and Alpine KCE-400BT
Metra Part #99-7863 (Dash install kit) 03'-06' Element
Metra Part #70-1725 (wiring adaptor harness)
Hardware store 1/2" inner diameter rubber O-ring
also... an old RCA plug splice in the subwoofer...

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looks good dude. So how did you do it? I just started a thread asking how to run the mic from the headunit up to the rearview but I see you've done it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I'm installing mine this weekend.

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow nice.. How did you do that?? I am trying to find out where to put mine. That looks like alot of work so i was thinking behind the steering wheel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mic install explained...

not too hard really.. kinda time consuming.

1) remove map lights at the back of the console with a small flat head screwdriver. they pop right out.

2) behind them you'll find to bolts (i think 9mm), anyways remove both of those. pull out the unit towards the rear of the vehicle. as you pull down and back, you'll have to disconnect the map light wire (it has a quick disconnect harness tab).

3) pop down the collar around the rearview mirror, i just used my fingers.

i drilled the hole so as to mount the mic on the outside of the storage box. you'll see what i'm talking about when you pull it down. it took awhile to get the hole the right size without making it too big. i used clear silicone to hold it in place and to dampen any vibration it might encounter.

i ran the mic wire thru the headliner out towards the windshield out to the passenger A pillar. i ran it behind the top of the pillar, then down the back of the pillar behind the rubber gasket. i popped off the end trim panel (the one that faces the door) start at the bottom, then work you're way up to remove this trim. at this point, it should be fairly easy to run the wire to the head unit behind the dash. i dropped the glove box, but i don't think you have to do this... it did make it easier!

oh yes.. after the silicone dried, i popped the rubber gasket on the outside as a trim piece and to hold it in place.

good luck everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
not too hard really.. kinda time consuming.

1) remove map lights at the back of the console with a small flat head screwdriver. they pop right out.

2) behind them you'll find to bolts (i think 9mm), anyways remove both of those. pull out the unit towards the rear of the vehicle. as you pull down and back, you'll have to disconnect the map light wire (it has a quick disconnect harness tab).

3) pop down the collar around the rearview mirror, i just used my fingers.

i drilled the hole so as to mount the mic on the outside of the storage box. you'll see what i'm talking about when you pull it down. it took awhile to get the hole the right size without making it too big. i used clear silicone to hold it in place and to dampen any vibration it might encounter.

i ran the mic wire thru the headliner out towards the windshield out to the passenger A pillar. i ran it behind the top of the pillar, then down the back of the pillar behind the rubber gasket. i popped off the end trim panel (the one that faces the door) start at the bottom, then work you're way up to remove this trim. at this point, it should be fairly easy to run the wire to the head unit behind the dash. i dropped the glove box, but i don't think you have to do this... it did make it easier!

oh yes.. after the silicone dried, i popped the rubber gasket on the outside as a trim piece and to hold it in place.

good luck everyone!

Hey thanks the instructions. So after I take out the overhead compartment there's enough room between the headliner and ceiling? Meaning I don't have to pull the headliner down in anyway? Ok sounds simple enough. Not sure what you mean by end trim panel (dash trim?). Did you pop the A pillar piece off? I can't thank you enough for this info.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That's a great install, Smoove! peace.gif

Question: I originally thought you were going to install the mic out of sight when I read your first post. Why did you decide to have the mic partially external instead of having it embedded behind a small hole?

I was thinking of having mine completely out of sight behind a small hole when I do my install. I've been lazy about it. I do like your install, it's very clean. Great work. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
OK I got what you're saying about the weatherstripping and everything. Had to dig a little bit more into the threads to find what I'm looking for. Got everything bookmarked and ready to go...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Good luck on your install, Tao. Let us know how you did with it and post your result. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok im going to try this..
One question is there room for the GPS antenna up there? Maybe on top of the plastic box?
I tried today to run it on the back roof under the plastic things that slide off but the wirer was too short to reach the head unit. Looking for another option??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks all...

Snuffleupagus, i installed the mic hanging down as to expose the other mic parts higher up on the mic itself. as i understand it, these are there to capture ambient noise and the bluetooth unit uses this to 'cancel' out road noise. i could have installed it flush with the console.. and it would have looked much cleaner.

as a side note, it works great at highway speeds, and most people can't even tell i'm driving. the bluetooth attachment was $100 with everything included..

i'm not sure how big your GPS antenna is, but there is a little bit of room up there. i think you could squeeze it in there, depending on the size.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I got everything installed yesterday. It was cold as hell out... I got lazy and just ran the mic down the opening behind the stereo.. then popped the panel off under the steering wheel and the ran the cable up that way. Got it vecro directly infront of the cluster behind the steering wheel. Looks good, sounds ok.

On a side note, I followed brendan's tutorial on creating a cheap Sub connector plug and it worked out great. Didn't have to splice into the factory Sub harness.. just plugged it in. Soldered two small paper clips (cut to size) to the wire leads of a single RCA cable. Stuck it in to the corresponding pin outs... had to attach them to the release pin holes for it to be snug. Taped it up and that's it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts