Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just thought I'd post up my experiments with a new device I just pikced up--the Blackberry Remote Stereo Gateway.

First off, I've been trying to decide what to do with my audio in the car--I have all my music on my a)Sony Ericsson phone and b)My 1G Ipod touch. I don't want to upgrade the head unit because where I work cars with nice stereos often get broken into. I was really interested in the setup many have where your ipod is in the glove box and controlled with the HU-I would even prefer a usb key/thumb drive in the glove box. However I am now being told that it has to be the xm ready version of the HU if I want full control--which the canadian 2007s didn't have. I see there are some that act as a 6 disc changer but it seems the number of folders is limited to the number of discs-6.

Anyway, to my point. I bought the Blackberry RSG with two purposes in mind--1 I want to stream music from my laptop to my stereo which seems to be working flawlessly, best non wired solution yet!! The second was to try out in the Element to see if this would be a suitable audio solution. After a quick test it seems it may be a pretty good deal. It does have to be hard wired to the aux input and the cigarette plug for power and then it sits in the first little nook on the dash. This thing is tiny(pics to follow). I like the functionality..I setup my music with my phone while I'm heading to the car-hit play and once the car starts, the bluetooth kicks in and the music plays. No fumbling, trying to plug in the aux cable every time.

Obviously the million dollar question is can I make it stealth? I'd like to hide the cables as much as possible and maybe even the unit itself-the less on display, the less likely my car will be visited by greedy hands.

I'm going to play around a bit today to see what I can rig up, but I'd like to hear nay suggestions on stealthing up this method.

Thanks
JASON

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
jason,
sounds pretty cool. you could hardwire the mini jack plug into the factory radio behind it in the dash and grab power there too. then you could put it anywhere you wanted and not see that it was there. let me know if you need the diagrams if you cannot find them on here in the many audio threads.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Yoda, that's what I was looking for, I'd be pretty comfortable hooking up the rcas....as far as wiring the power--it is done through usb but comes with a usb to regular plug cable so I'm not sure how I'd go about this. Obviously I'd want the unit to come on with the car.

As for diagrams I saw them when I searched so I should be good with that.

Finally just a little note-despite streaming audio it does NOT stream phone calls through the HU. Disappointing but I understood this going in..besides I don't talk on the phone in the car anyway.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
get a cig to usb type adaptor and wire a female cig plug pigtail up to the switched power behind the radio when you are tying into the aux in. we have done this countless times for sat radio, portable gps units, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seeing as you are wise in the ways of car audio, what's your opinion of this setup?

Will I be able to find a better setup where I can plug a thumb drive into a port in my glove box and run from the HU despite not having an xm ready HU?

thanks for the info/wisdom

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i think it is a pretty neat little device although it does kinda suck that it doesnt stream phone calls too. check out the link below for a usb input for your radio. this guys stuff is good, i have used it before on cars that other people we deal with didnt have adaptors for. just pull your radio out and see if you have the open port or one that is being used that the t harness shown further down on the page can plug into.

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_adapters/grom-usb2-hon1.html

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I picked up a Clarion FB275BT in white from Crutchfield for $60 on sale a few months back. This is the deck without an optical drive (no CD, no DVD). I use SD cards but it won't read SDHC cards so it's limited to 2 GB. But it also streams stereo audio from my phone, T-Mobile G1, or any A2DP (or whatever it's called. So I have an 8 GB microSD card in the phone loaded with MP3s. What's extremely cool though is now Pandora internet radio is available for the G1. With the unlimited data package on my phone, which youhave to have with the G1, T-Mobile forvces it on you, I can stream Pandora through my HU too. All that with a $60 HU and it sounds great. The only drawback to this unit is no AM and the FM tuner kinda blows but I only listen to talk radio when I have it on so I'm not too disappointed. The Black version of this deck is available for around $120. It has an aux input too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to hijack my own thread into a grom thread but I looked into it and I can't figure out the text display and folder limitations. Seems to be a lot of ifs. Basically my biggest gripe/concern is the folders. Can I browse my collection through the head unit by artist or only CD01, CD02. Second, is the honda non xm unit limited to 6 folders or 99? Finally, if I don't have XM ready HU will I see track names or just CD01-Track01?

If these two issues are addressed I'll just keep my bluetooth for the house and order the grom unit, but if those are the limitations then I'm going to stealth up my bluetooth adaptor.

Just to follow up on the blackberry gateway, I drove around with the Gateway just sitting on the dash with my big clunky cig lighter charger just to see how it works out--pretty sweet. The phone(sony ericsson 750i) and gateway automatically sync up everytime i turn on the car and all I have to do is hit play. The best part is when I leave the car, the connection is lost and my phone stops playback...I don't have to hit stop. Then the phone wedges nicely in the dash nook to the left of the steering wheel for easy access. Finally, because the phone is the remote I can pass it around to those in back to play dj without worrying about cords. All in all a sweet product. One big down side is the phone automaticall turns off the screen after a bit, so no constant display of track info.

As for home use-well, I bought the ILUV bluetooth adaptor and plugged it into the headphone port on my laptop, plugged the gateway into my stereo on the otherside of the room, setup my ipod touch(1G) with the itunes remote app and ran itunes on the laptop. I now have music (without having to hardwire my laptop) running to all the speakers I had wired throughout the house and I can control the music with the iphone wirelessly anywhere in the house--again, killer product. So far I only had the music breakup when I fired up the microwave.

Thanks
JASON

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i believe (not totally sure) that if you dont have the sat ready radio then it doesnt have the ability to display names. the second part he might know how it works on the element specifically if you ask him, alot he doesnt post because it doesnt pertain to all models and he doesnt want people thinking that it does things with their model that it might only do on another.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got one of these Blackberry A2DP stereo gateways just yesterday and I love it. I've been looking for a simple solution to pump stereo out to my E's stereo without wires for quite some time now. After searching for quite awhile I thought this was the simplest and most elegant solution for streaming music and podcast from my iPhone. And because it powers on and off with the ignition I don't have to do anything special to turn it on.

As for making the unit stealthy, I haven't had the time to properly hide it yet but that will be a pretty easy feat because of it's small size. Rather than hook it up to my AUX connector though I have it plugged into my USA Spec PA11 - HON iPod interface unit. I've been using this unit for nearly a year and a half now and I couldn't be happier. It allows me to control my old 40GB iPod, which is kept in the glove box, from the head unit and 1 aux audio source. Using the RCA audio cable that came with the Blackberry device, I hooked it up to the iPod interface unit. As for power, I added a add-a-circuit and installed a extra power outlet under the dash behind the fuse door.

It's a pretty slick setup if I do say so myself. I am looking to update the USA Spec iPod interface unit sometime in the future to a newer model that supports displaying the track info on the head unit and powering the latest iPods and iPhones. The whole combo is a pretty easy set up if you don't count having to remove the face plate from head unit.

Some pros and cons about this set up.
Pro - Easy streaming of your A2DP stereo bluetooth device to your stereo.
Pro - Set it and forget it performance.
Pro - Very good audio quality. Well at least in my opinion.
Pro - Very small size. Will be extremely easy to hide even if you use the standard AUX and power outlets.
Pro - Cheaper than other devices I've seen.
Con - Can't control the bluetooth device with your stereo but then again, I'm not sure if any of these type of devices can.
Con - Doesn't work for phone calls. I have a separate BlueAnt visor mounted Bluetooth device for this.
Con - Blackberry device power switch is really sensitive. Make sure to put it somewhere where you won't accidentally touch it because it turns off (and on) with the slightest touch.
Con - Blackberry device doesn't come with a power cable.

Long story short, the Blackberry stereo gateway is a winner in my book. I like it so much I'm thinking of using it in other places such as in my home hooked up to my stereo receiver. I think most people that consider one of these will be very happy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been a loooong time but I thought I'd post a follow up. I'm still using this setup now with an iphone and it works brilliantly. It's kinda neat when I cue up the music on the way to the car...the music plays through the iphone speakers and then once the car is turned on it transitions smoothly to the stereo. Also, the second the connection is lost-the car is turned off-the music stops without me having to do a thing. Loving it!

As for a more stealthy install, I'm still gunshy about taking the dash off/splicing and dicing so I have a usb cigarette adapter plugged into the outlet in the trunk. I ran the cable tucked in along the panelling so that it is invisible and then into the glove box. The aux cable is a little less stealthy-just ran it from the port on the dash up along the top/underside of the nook so it is not visible and then down the side and into the glove box. Overall it'll do till I work up the nerve to pop the dash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts