Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to gain access to the windshield washer fluid pumps and while removing the front bumper, I keep breaking the body clips :mad:. What is the trick, if any, of removing these clips without breaking them?

Thanks for the help!
Pat

·
Registered
536 Posts
Plastic Clips

Those clips can sometimes be a challenge and no matter how careful you are they can and will break. I'm sure there is a toll made to extract the center pin but I do not where to get one. I have had my front end off three times and I have had success with using a small straight slot screwdriver to release that center pin. Depending on how long they have been installed will determine how soft or brittle the plastic is. I ordered about ten so I have them on hand when I break one. I am not sure there is a certain step by step procedure written anywhere but I do know it can be a challenge sometimes.
What is wrong with your washer motors?:D

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
>What is wrong with your washer motors?

I would surmise nothing, but he probably heard about a mod that adds 5 HP! :D

The body clips are definitely a PITA. Judging from most of the panel R/R procedures in the manual, Honda assumes you have a parts department 100 feet away and therefore considers these plastic clips a consumable.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
K-D Tools makes removers that might result in fewer broken clips, or at least less hassle.

#3729: 30° push pin pliers
#3888: 80° push pin pliers
#41840: set (3729, 3888)
#41850: set (3729, 3888, 3705 panel clip pliers)

Meanwhile, I found bumper clips, 25 for $10 here; good way to avoid wasting plastic (Honda dealers usually sell 'em one clip per package). That vendor also sells the pliers referenced above, though many others do as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My front windshield washer motor is INOP and need to replace it. While doing some troubleshooting I broke all of these damn clips...PITA. I will try using a small screwdriver. Thanks for the link for ordering these clips :).

Pat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ramblerdan: While pulling the center out is when the clip breaks, unless I'm doing something wrong, it breaks almost immediately. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm trying to gain access to the windshield washer fluid pumps and while removing the front bumper, I keep breaking the body clips :mad:. What is the trick, if any, of removing these clips without breaking them?

Thanks for the help!
Pat
Use a pick. center comes out first just put it under the center tab indent. I just did a grille and not 1 broke.

·
Registered
523 Posts
you need to pry them out gently and wiggle the screw driver back and forth, all the way around. Once the center is seperated about 3/8", I grab the bottom piece and wiggle it until it comes out. They are an enormous pain, I broke 3 or 4 when I first took off my bumper. In AZ, plastic turns to dust and they were very brittle, the new ones are much easier to manipulate. I know the frustration, just order replacements and extras and you won't stress over breaking them again. Patience is key. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered replacements and should be here Tuesday. I was being careful and gentle for the first couple, then just went ape s**t and yanked them out under frustration. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Plastic clip removal

I just removed the 5 clips holding the radiator shroud to get at the bumper and the windshield washer. After reading these posts, it was very easy. Use two thin small screwdrivers and push inward under the round part of the clip using the two indents on the outer part of the clip as a guide.. Gently pry up the center of the clip while pushing inward and it should pop up.

·
Registered
622 Posts
the clips on the top bumper are easy to remove. the problem is with the clips on the fender liner well and fender. popping out the middle of the fastener, even very softly, breaks the clip. the replacement listed on this thread lists the clips as an 8mm size but when i read other threads some have listed a 10mm size with an amazon link. i ordered the 10mm size before i found this thread so now i am curious. so which size will fit the fender liner well? i compared the fender liner fasteners to the fasteners on top of the bumper and they most definitely are different.

·
Registered
622 Posts
i found this part number on this forum somewhere, 91503-SZ3-003, and when i search it i get a lot of 10mm clips links. i really hope the size i need is 10mm since i already made my order. i compared the broken clips to a 10mm bolt and they match up pretty well. 8mm seems to be a bit small? anyone know for certain so i can know if i need to cancel my order?

note..the clips on top of the bumper have a + shape recess in the hole and seem to be a 12mm size? the diameter of the top bumper holes for the clips are bigger than the diameter of the fender liner clip holes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts