Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the bolt that held the power steering pump housing to the engine snapped inside the hole and I have to use an extractor to pull it out. My soon to be ex husband, who used to do the work on my 2005 element, drilled out the bolt so I can extract it. I need to know how to figure out what size bolt I need to replace the snapped bolt is. Once I get it out, that is. Alright, heres the whole situation. The bolt snapped and got stuck inside. The serpentine belt snapped as a result sensing it into the reservoir for the radiator, hurning a hole in the plastic reservoir. Oh then the battery died. So my husband started to fix everything but we separated since and he is being a complete dick so I have no one to help me fix it (I can't afford a mechanic so i HAVE to do the work myself. I am super handy and capable but I don't know too much about cars. I do have some basic knowlegde and learn fairly quickly. Stuff like I can change my own oil, change a tire, replace fluids etc. I pick up on **** really easily usually by watching a video or whatever.
Also if this puts stuff into perspective - I was in the carpenters union before I met hubby (almost 20 yrs ago. so I know tools in general). I am on my own here if i want this car back on rhe road. Which i desparatly do. Its killing my nonexistent finances not having a car and I am slipping further into debt (during a nasty divorce so I no longer have the only income from him. I didnt work after we got married. I don't have many skills so looking for a job i can walk to is not panning out in sub urban connecticut. I need my car back to make money to feed myself.). If anybody can help me out with info or tips on any of my mechanical issues here I would be eternally grateful. Thx everybody. 🤬🥵😵👩‍🔧🔧🚙

--- T.T.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So the bolt that held the power steering pump housing to the engine snapped inside the hole and I have to use an extractor to pull it out. My soon to be ex husband, who used to do the work on my 2005 element, drilled out the bolt so I can extract it. I need to know how to figure out what size bolt I need to replace the snapped bolt is. Once I get it out, that is. Alright, heres the whole situation. The bolt snapped and got stuck inside. The serpentine belt snapped as a result sensing it into the reservoir for the radiator, hurning a hole in the plastic reservoir. Oh then the battery died. So my husband started to fix everything but we separated since and he is being a complete dick so I have no one to help me fix it (I can't afford a mechanic so i HAVE to do the work myself. I am super handy and capable but I don't know too much about cars. I do have some basic knowlegde and learn fairly quickly. Stuff like I can change my own oil, change a tire, replace fluids etc. I pick up on **** really easily usually by watching a video or whatever.
Also if this puts stuff into perspective - I was in the carpenters union before I met hubby (almost 20 yrs ago. so I know tools in general). I am on my own here if i want this car back on rhe road. Which i desparatly do. Its killing my nonexistent finances not having a car and I am slipping further into debt (during a nasty divorce so I no longer have the only income from him. I didnt work after we got married. I don't have many skills so looking for a job i can walk to is not panning out in sub urban connecticut. I need my car back to make money to feed myself.). If anybody can help me out with info or tips on any of my mechanical issues here I would be eternally grateful. Thx everybody. 🤬🥵😵👩‍🔧🔧🚙

--- T.T.
I would mail order the correct Honda bolt as it is likely an unusual one not avialable at HD or Ace. Hondapartsnow or similar will have the diagrams to see what part it is and then allow you to order that exact correct part.

The rest sounds like you have more or less in hand.

Sorry for your troubles.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Looks like part #20 in the above Honda diagram. Listed as 8x45, which means it is a 12mm hex head with thread size/pitch being M8x1.25 and 45mm long. Lists price looks to be around $2. Note that the bolt will have a JIS standard hex head measuring 12mm. If you go to your “average hardware” store to find an appropriate equivalent grade M8x1.25 bolt it will come with a 13mm hex head, which is ANSI standard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Looks like part #20 in the above Honda diagram. Listed as 8x45, which means it is a 12mm hex head with thread size/pitch being M8x1.25 and 45mm long. Lists price looks to be around $2. Note that the bolt will have a JIS standard hex head measuring 12mm. If you go to your “average hardware” store to find an appropriate equivalent grade M8x1.25 bolt it will come with a 13mm hex head, which is ANSI standard.
A million thanks. Im doing that now. May the force be with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts