Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all!

I am posting here to see if anybody knows the size of the bolts that attach the VTEC spool valve solenoid to the engine? I was trying to remove the three bolts to replace the solenoid, but they were really tight and I stripped two of them on accident. Any feedback or experiences on removing them would be helpful!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I learned about this one the hard way a few years ago. To avoid the problem, use only a 1/4” ratchet with 6 point socket, and get the right leverage so you can take the bolt out cleanly. The easiest way is to put a pad down over the engine radiator and lie down on top of the engine from the right side. First remove a bolt to push away the tube running above that gets in the way (AC I think).

Once the bolts are stripped, however, the best way to get them out is with a stripped bolt remover. Work carefully and methodically to get them out, because this is probably the last chance you’ll have before you have to move the engine to remove them.

The factory bolts are cheap soft metal and stripped easily. Any hardware store that carries metric bolts will have suitable replacements that will be superior to the originals.

Sorry you’re going through this, hope it turns out OK!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is very thorough and helpful, Hylourgos! It is so tough to remove these bolts; there is very little space to access them and me having big hands makes this job harder than I thought.

·
Registered
2004 SOP EX/AWD/MT
275 Posts
I also use a 1/4 driver for the vtec solenoid.

Maybe converting the bolts to studs/nuts might help with future stripping issues...

·
Registered
40 Posts
BTW, To answer one of your first questions: the bolts are around 2 to 2 1/2 inches long. Two of the same length, and one is slightly longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts