Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need a bit of help.

My gf's office is attempting to throw out a gorgeous bookcase to make room for some new furniture. They told her if she wanted it, she would have to make arrangements for it to be picked up. Obviously me having my trusty E, she asked if I would be willing to help. The only downside I told her was that even though spacious, the E is still limited as to what and how much it can hold.

So I was wondering if anyone knew any of the actual interior dimensions or has also moved a similar item before and can confirm that it would clear? She managed to measure it for me:

5 ft - 7 inches high
3 ft - 8 inches wide
1 ft - 4 inches deep

Note: Unfortunately I do not have the capability of removing one or both jump seats, and thus they will have to be folded up. I plan on having my gf help me move the actual bookcase, so there would have to be enough room for her to sit in the passenger seat.

Any help would be appreciated, as I plan on picking up the item later tonight (assuming it can even fit).

Thank You

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Getting old, cant remember. Hold on, I'll do what you should have done.

SEARCH

See post #9 in this thread !

Dom

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just an idea I'm throwing out there is...roof rack?

·
Registered
19 Posts
It should fit, but it will be damn tight. I put a love seat in the back of mine that just fit and was about that long, though I had to move the driver seat up a few inches to accommodate. If the book shelf laying down flat it should be easier since the backs of the front seats are further towards the front at the bottom. On it's side you may be able to put it at an angle to help a little.

The alternative is to lay the passenger seat flat and lay the right rear seat flat and slide it in on a side on top of them, and then your gf can sit behind you in the left rear seat. That way there is guaranteed to be enough length. At 3'8" it may just barely fit on its side without scratching the ceiling... though it could be a little iffy.

The final alternative, if you're just taking it a few blocks, is to keep the clam shell open, strap it in and go slow.

The best way to know is just get a tape measure and get the dimensions for yourself. See if the bookshelf disassembles easily, perhaps? And always strap it down if you can.

Edit: damn, people here are fast

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Not a problem getting it to fit inside. You will even be able to close the tailgate and hatch.

Obviously the 5'7" is too wide to go anyway other than straight into the Element. The 3'8" is narrow enough to fit either through the tailgate or if she measured it slightly off, you can do what I had to do once and remove both headrests off the front seats and install through the side doors. The side doors are actually a much larger opening than the rear doors.

But this isn't very big and would slide right in either laying on the 3'8" side or the 1'4" side. Both should work without issue.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn, you guys are good. Yet another reason I love being an E owner and EOC member ;)

Well she should be pretty pleased to hear this. I might even tell her to drive herself or wait for me at her office so I can utilize all interior space. I just wanted to make sure it was possible as I will be picking up in D.C. and moving it to Alexandria.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Just be sure to take the books out before moving......................

·
Registered
202 Posts
When I read the title of your thread I thought you wanted to INSTALL a
bookcase in your E...which would have been cool! I'm always toting around a dozen different field guides, maps, manuals, atlases, etc...

·
Registered
126 Posts
The width and depth are no problem at all and the bookcase would fit either on its back or on its side (rear dimensions are roughly 44 or 45"). The length could pose a bit of a problem in my opinion.

If I remember right (i've moved several long items) you have roughly 60" of space from the tailgate to the seats if the seats are all the way back. If you move them forward, you could gain the additional 7 inches of length (though you'd have to contend with the center console still), depending on how well you can squeeze into that smaller space (I'm 6'4" and need all that legroom :))

Your best bet may be to fit it on its side, at an angle from behind the passengers seat to the rear left of the Element.

Worst case scenario... lay the bookcase on its back, which will allow you to close the hatch and just leave the tailgate open. Make sure you strap the hatch down of course so it doesn't flap.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So just to follow-up my query.

Mission was a Success! Though it did not come without its minor complications. Those who suggested moving it into the E via the side doors were spot on. I never realized just how limited the width of the back can be when loading something into it. The space provided by the clamshell doors were JUST enough to scoot the bookcase into the E.

I managed to put my seats in the hollowed-out portion of the case, thankfully.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I forgot to take photos :(

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aye, I think she forgot to mention/measure the edges that actually jutted out a bit from the rest of the bookcase, but again I'm glad we squeezed her in.

And as I read the title again, I do realize how many people would expect my OP to detail a in cabin bookcase project for my E :p

Unfortunately I'm not that much of a bookworm

·
Registered
164 Posts
When I read the title of your thread I thought you wanted to INSTALL a
bookcase in your E...which would have been cool! I'm always toting around a dozen different field guides, maps, manuals, atlases, etc...
I like that idea!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts