Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading numerous threads about all the different upgrades and what not... when the thought occurs to me: Why not boost bottles? Obviously, I don't know a lot about these things so I'm asking the community because I think this might be a fun question.

Are there some interesting answers? Besides just poking fun at me. Is it possible to put something like this on an E? How might one do it? What might it do to the engine? How fast could you "boost" (maybe past that limiter I read about that I didn't know the E had, hm). Stuff like that. It could be fun at lights against unsuspecting punk teenagers I bet. ;-) You know who you are, 6 people in a 4 seater so close to the ground you could lick the pavement. :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Street racing is for irresponsible children I frown upon contests of speed at lights, let them go. Do it on a track. But for installing nitrous, I'm sure it can be done. I think I spied a N bottle on the Kicker E, but with stock engine internals, I'm sure you couldn't pressurize that high at all.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Nitrous has it's place. However, for the average person, it's just an added expense/Pain in the butt !

If you notice, the majority of people looking to increase the overall performance on this forum, are also looking to maintain reliability. Daily driving with Nitrous, does not provide reasonable economy, and a sporty feel all the time. You have to press the button. You have another filling station to go to. That's not always convenient, or easy to find. In some instances it may be more than 50 miles, to get the cylinder filled.

Something like a turbo/super charger provides a more user friendly interface. It also gives you the power/economy on a daily basis. Seamless operation during your normal drive to work or get grocery's.

That's to say nothing of the obvious safety concerns!

Like was mentioned above, nitrous is more of a toy for street racers. It gives them some bragging rights.

Dom

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Yes, I can almost see that...

You're sitting at the light, waiting for it to cycle for the third time because it didn't turn green for your lanes the last two times, and a hopped up Impala sidles up in the other lane. An obnoxious kid barely in to his first year of legal driving sits inside while some kind of auditory mayhem spills out of the open windows, pounding the leaves on a tree over on the other side of the sidewalk with repeated concussions.

He looks at your toaster and then the tiniest hint of a smirk curls up on the side of his face. He keeps looking, head jerking in time to the obscene rap on his sound system... and then he can't contain himself. The jerk nods at you and smiles. You know what it means, don't you?

Reaching down, you flip the switch. You know what it does but he doesn't - not yet anyway. Oh yes... Smile nicely and look innocent. Uh huh.

The light turns amber on the cross street. This is it!

Your toes shove down on the gas pedal. Deep, under the hood, a solenoid slams open and NO2 rushes through a regulator, up a long metal braided hose, sucks down inside the engine, mixes with gasoline vapors inside the cylinders, and the last moment of its existance as nitrous oxide is over when a spark suddenly ignites the explosive mixture.

Your Element doesn't quite know what to do next. The front wheels begin to screech in horror, grabbing desperately at the pavement, belching blue smoke and skittering back and forth while your brave steed prepares to burst out of the gate... and then you're moving. Your neck tenses, prepared to fight the acceleration. Your gut clenches too for the same reason. On your face is a look of sheer pleasure because you are about to amaze and strike dumb yet another young know nothing punk...

There's a BANG and a clattering sound from under the hood as your surprised engine feels the effects of a massive surge of horsepower. Your wheels stop belching blue smoke as they finally match up with the speed of the pavement beneath them...

which isn't moving at all...

The sound of your dying engine block is softened by the spray of oil, coolant, and the steady hiss of NO2 which hasn't yet gotten the news to shut off for another couple seconds. The spasm taking the front wheels finally quiets down when you skid to a stop, mere inches from where you started.

The punk's smile is gone. He really is amazed and struck dumb... until he smiles again and gently pushes down on his own gas pedal and cruises off down the boulevard.

You should get out of your E at this point and make sure that the engine, now incontinent and gently losing the remaining oil on to the road beneath the front wheels, hasn't caught on fire.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Yes, I can almost see that...

You're sitting at the light, waiting for it to cycle for the third time because it didn't turn green for your lanes the last two times, and a hopped up I ::

Content shortened ::

The punk's smile is gone. He really is amazed and struck dumb... until he smiles again and gently pushes down on his own gas pedal and cruises off down the boulevard.

You should get out of your E at this point and make sure that the engine, now incontinent and gently losing the remaining oil on to the road beneath the front wheels, hasn't caught on fire.

Oh you were at the same set of lights ! :D

Dom

·
Registered
106 Posts
One moment please

WHILE I reach for a rag to wipe the oil and anti-freeze off my face......

wait, that was prose....not real, but more real than life.

hope your doing that as you livelihood....
I'll watch for your credits.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
desinia: OMG!!! That... was... F ing hilarious!!! ROFLMAO!!! I admit, I was just curious is all but when I read that I was laughing like an insane animal in a very quiet hallway in a hospital @ 1am. TOO funny. :lol:

I don't intend to anything like that to my vehicle, as I said I just don't know enough about such things to know why no one here has talked about such -- and now I have at least an inkling. Thanks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Once upon a time an enigma of sorts existed in the element world.
One of epic proportions.It is now just a legend.:cry:

THE HELLEMENT driven/owned by user name HONDAGHANDI.

To answer the OPs' question...
where ever the mind can go the mind will follow.

That said,just remember when you make a car faster than stock, you need a multitude of mods to support that increase of speed.
It becomes a very hectic endeavor.
For the E,stick with weight loss, maybe a CAI,and some driving lessons.:smile:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Street Racing

One of the reasons I enjoyed the post....

I have a 2" scar on my right calf.....

From where a piece of clutch made it through the firewall back in the early 60's.

never blew an engine...but got real good at swapping clutches.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
One of the reasons I enjoyed the post....

I have a 2" scar on my right calf.....

From where a piece of clutch made it through the firewall back in the early 60's.

never blew an engine...but got real good at swapping clutches.
I blew a rod out the side of a straight six block once. It made a bang like I don't want to remember and a ball of flame that singed my right leg and ruined a sock. No real burns but painful anyway.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wow some of you guys really don't know much about N2O. Lol this thread makes me want to put my Zex kit in my E instead of my Teg.
Nitrous is no more dangrous or likely to "blow the welds on your manifold" then a turbo or super charger, If used correctly.
You can "turn up the boost" & blow a motor too ya know. I have seen rods hanging out of oil pans from turbo cars too.
A turbo kit cost what about $3000.00 or so right?
N20 kits range from $300-$1000.
So lets say I get a $650.00 kit so subtract 650 from 3000 = 2350.
Ok to fill a 10lb bottle its costs about $45 so 2350 divided by 45 = 52 fill ups and some change for a coke.
You should get 6 or so passes out of a full bottle so 52 times 6 = 312 passes.
So for you guys that have boost & drag race how many passes have you made & did you upgrade anything along the way or break anything?
Someone thats looking at nitrous is more then likely looking to drag race so it is a good option for a DD that hits the track on weekends. When your driving around town with the bottle off you have the same gas mileage as you did stock. With boost if you get on the interstate or pass a car you will hit boost from time to time & lower your MPGs.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I watched a kid with an Audi A4 blow up his engine at a stop light because he hit the button as he was pulling away from the line trying to race a camaro. That was loud. He had a really nice wet injection set up prior to the detonation.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I can't imagine anything sillier than an E in a drag race. Sorry.
look for the youtube on the HELLEMENT and you'll change your mind
the SOPI drift Element is also quick

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Wow some of you guys really don't know much about N2O. Lol this thread makes me want to put my Zex kit in my E instead of my Teg.
Nitrous is no more dangrous or likely to "blow the welds on your manifold" then a turbo or super charger, If used correctly.
You can "turn up the boost" & blow a motor too ya know. I have seen rods hanging out of oil pans from turbo cars too.
A turbo kit cost what about $3000.00 or so right?
N20 kits range from $300-$1000.
So lets say I get a $650.00 kit so subtract 650 from 3000 = 2350.
Ok to fill a 10lb bottle its costs about $45 so 2350 divided by 45 = 52 fill ups and some change for a coke.
You should get 6 or so passes out of a full bottle so 52 times 6 = 312 passes.
So for you guys that have boost & drag race how many passes have you made & did you upgrade anything along the way or break anything?
Someone thats looking at nitrous is more then likely looking to drag race so it is a good option for a DD that hits the track on weekends. When your driving around town with the bottle off you have the same gas mileage as you did stock. With boost if you get on the interstate or pass a car you will hit boost from time to time & lower your MPGs.

Ahhhh ! You see the light. Your post emphasizes exactly what makes No2 less appealing for street driving. YOU must PRESS the BUTTON !!

With the other systems, the system is always active. They have more of a tendency to produce a mileage improvement, if driven conservatively. If properly set up, they do not harm the engine, or make it less reliable. If the parts on a turbo fail, your driving a naturally aspirated Element. Just like you would be if you did not press the button with Nitrous.

I have run No2 systems on sport bikes. So I am more than familiar with the capabilities/limitations of a nitrous system. Like you stated, it's a drag racing tool! As far as it being conducive to every day drive ability, It just consumes space, and adds weight.

I cant remember the last time I had to re-fill my turbo! :D

Dom

·
Registered
177 Posts
look for the youtube on the HELLEMENT and you'll change your mind
the SOPI drift Element is also quick
I've seen it. It still looks like a cartoon car, it's just missing the classic cartoon leaning forward with the smiley face thing. I like the E because it looks goofy. Mine looks like a Tonka Tank.

That's why, I suppose, I have a hard time taking it seriously as something it's really poorly designed to be. Just driving in a high wind is a challenge, fcol.

I'm not saying it sucks or it's stupid, I just think it's a silly car. Even tarted up, it looks silly. Part of it's charm. To each their own and all that.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I see the problem. We were talking about a humorous piece of fiction about over boosting with NO2 and not this N2O stuff you mentioned.
Ummm what?????
desinia & Dom.five cut science class a few too many times didn't we?

Nitrogen dioxide is the chemical compound with the formula NO2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_dioxide

Nitrous oxide, commonly known as happy gas or laughing gas, is a chemical compound with the chemical formula N2O
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide
Dom.five please let us know how the use of No2 on your bikes went? :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts