Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using the Bosch Platinum +4, +2 or standard electrode spark plugs
in any vehicle? If so do they provide better all around performance for the
price? Lastly, are they really worth it? If so I plan on putting them in a Chevy
350 small block.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
I don't recommend them. I put 'em on a performance car several years ago and the electrode wire on several of them broke inside the ceramic. I didn't know there was a problem until one wire crept out and finally shorted against the cathode.

When it happened the power loss was so sudden I thought it sucked a valve. :shock:

Their technology may have changed since then, but as you can tell, I still don't trust 'em.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade the OEM spark plugs (which I think are Iradium (spelling?) tipped) with the Bosch Platinum+4 spark plugs, part number 4428. They make them, because they are available on www.boschusa.com. Think it's worth it?

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
[quote:2e233609b0="ZosoRules1:"]Bosch says if you don't receive better gas milage and better performance, then they will refund you the money.[/quote:2e233609b0]
Go ahead... just try collecting on that. Any improved performance/efficiency from nothing more than changing spark plugs is going to be unmeasurable by techniques available to the average driver. Conversely, any lack of improvement is going to be equally unprovable.

Bosch's marketeers know this and are exploiting the lack of ability to prove/disprove it. Spark plug manufacturers have relied on marketing gimmicks for a long time. Stick with your stock plugs, and, if you're still inclined, replace them with the Bosch plugs when the service schedule calls for it... at 110,000 miles.

Put the bucks you will save by not buying the plugs towards a tank of gas.

·
Registered
264 Posts
[quote:84af12562f=" "]Never buy gimick plugs. They are all a waste of money.[/quote:84af12562f]

You mean these don't work, they use the power of ultra sound to "shatter fuel mists" and guarantee a 40% reduction in fuel cost.

http://www.americanewsnet.com/shopping/auto/supersonic.htm

Yet when I look at there fuel savings chart it only looks like you will achieve a savings of 1/5th or 16.7%.

It also promises an increase in "Pulling power" of 20%, but this won't happen until after 200 miles. :shock:

Money back guarantee, nothing to lose. :wink:

·
Registered
474 Posts
I remember right before buying my E I was doing a tune-up on my 98 mini-van. I bought all the parts including those Bosch +4 platinum plugs. My mechanic told me to return those plugs because he had replaced quite a few because the head of the plug was easily fouled/broken. Basicly said heir reliability sucked. This was importent at the time as to replace spark plugs on the short wheelbase Plymouth Voyager with the Mitsubishi V6 meant getting the van up on the lift and then squeezing your arm up into the bowels of the motor to get the bottom 3 plugs. Big pain-in-A changing out the plugs on that motor.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
...Bosch +4 platinum plugs. My mechanic told me to return those plugs because he had replaced quite a few because the head of the plug was easily fouled/broken. Basicly said heir reliability sucked.
Whew... I feel vindicated. I mentioned my travails with the Platinums someplace else, but the context is better here.

I put Bosch Platinums in a performance V8 I had a number of years ago, and it wasn't a week before at least two of them broke the center electrode internally, one eventually creeping out of the ceramic and shorting against the cathode. I was going "warp speed" and the sudden loss of power made me think I sucked a valve... which was a possibility since I had just rebuilt the heads. Imagine my relief when I discovered the shorted plug.

Went back to good ol' Champions and had not a lick of trouble thereafter.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Back when I had a CRX and had to time to work on my car I used all kinds of different plugs including Splitfire. The only plug that even gave me improved performance were NGK Platinums. NGK was and still is the OEM spark plug provider for Honda, and considering Iridium is said to be better than Plainums and your Element has the NGK Iridiums, then that would mean that your Element already has the best plugs possible now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
WoW...I never expected to get that much advice on spark plugs :shock: Thanks though, I've put the money toward other Element stuff....a cleaning/reoiling kit for my new K&N intake. I've read the threads on the intakes, they aren't too bad to install?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I do agreed with the responses.

I too have fallen for this gimmicks, claiming smoother response, increase fuel efficiency, last longer then typical resistor plugs.

The truth is multiple point discharge plugs are harder to gap, discharge point is not optimize, because at time two point can discharged at the same time, this occurrence give you a mediocre sparks. :roll:

Saves your money, put it toward a new set of tires. :D

Take care,

·
Registered
89 Posts
There will not be multiple discharges.

The only advantage of multi-electrode plugs is that in case one or more of the electrodes are fouled or otherwise not able to fire, then it only takes one good electrode to fire. Or, in other words, if you have an engine prone to foul plugs (like a classic English car with SU carbs running rich at idle... NOT like a modern i-VTEC engine with advanced engine management), then the multi-electrode plugs can help improve the ability to at least get the plugs to fire. Emphasis on "can". You're assuming likely failure of the plug to start with before there can be a benefit.

However, it would defy physics for there to be a multiple discharge in a single spark plug.

FWIW I've always had the best luck with NGK plugs.

·
Registered
474 Posts
"Went back to good ol' Champions and had not a lick of trouble thereafter"

My buddy/mechanic recommended I go with the Championspark plugs as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah,
I agree with MikeQBF also. I bought into the marketing gimmick when I was driving a Jeep Cherokee & put in a set of Bosch Platinums just before I went on a driving tour in the NC mountains. Accelerator response was absolutely horrible.....didn't want to accelerate properly around 45MPH which gets really critical in the mountains. Drove about 400 miles that day and it was the most pitiful driving experience I ever had in a vehicle of any type. Threw them out after 600 miles & replaced them with Champions & everything went back to normal.......

·
Registered
496 Posts
Spark Plugs?

I know, I know the book says wait until 110,000 miles but has anyone changed thier spark plugs yet?

If I were to do it I would replace them with the same ones that came stock.

I would NOT install the Bosch Platnum plugs. I installed the Bosch ones in my old Acura and took them out within 1,500 miles as they were complete junk.

I only have 34,000 on my E so i think I will wait until the trip to Ohio this July for the Big Meeting.

To me spark plugs are like gum. They are so cheap and easy to install why not change them when they start to go stale?

Interested in my fellow EOC members thoughts.

Joe Mama

1 - 20 of 101 Posts