Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about hooking the front and back dome lights together instead of them being separate. Does anyone know if this will cause any problems? Seems like it should work fine by just splicing them together. I've searched the forums but not seen anything specific to this unless I just missed it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I did this mod today and it works great. It was actually very simple and writing this post will probably take longer then it took to accomplish it. After doing a little research all you have to do is splice 2 wires right behind the glove box. There is a Green with White stripe wire and a Green with Red stripe wire that you hook together and walla both lights come on at the same time. I chose to use some splices that tap into the two wires and then made a jumper wire to connect them. If ever I don't want this mod all I have to do is remove the jumper. If you look at the pics I am posting it will show the type of splices I got from my local auto parts store. To get behind the glove box all I did was remove the stoppers and let it open all the way till it rests on the floor. Of course all the stuff in glove box falls out if you don't remove it. When you look inside and to the right there is a 2 connectors attached together. The one on the back side which happens to be blue has the green wires. Just splice them and your all set.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the rear fades exactly like the front. If you open the rear hatch the front light comes on too. The switches on the lights themselves still work independently as well. So if you turn one on only it comes on not both. You can also use the switch to make either one not turn on with the door by just turning it off. Works good and I look forward to trying it tonite when it gets dark.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very nice DIY mod. Maybe it should be moved. I may do this as well, since I was wondering why they made them separate but haven't been bothered yet by it so I may wait.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I will vouch for the ease of this mod. I just completed this one myself and it took all of 5 minutes to perform the procedure and another 5 minutes to test all of the fade-out actions. I keep a handful of these type taps on hand anyways so all the parts needed were right there.
  1. Open the glove box.
  2. Pop out the stops.
  3. Lower the box.
  4. Look to the far right and you will see the gray wire harness with a light blue harness hiding beside it. This is where the green/white and green/red wires will be.
  5. Grab a couple taps, connect them to said wires.
  6. Grab a couple male connectors and about 2 inches of wire.
  7. Strip the wire ends, crimp on the connectors and insert into the previous wire taps.
  8. Done.
I tested all the combinations I could think of for the domes to fade out and the rear faded right along with the center dome.

Great mod!
You get the Imperial Seal of Approval!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
You impressed both ramblerdan and Empire with your mod! :shock: Holy schnikies! Are you sure you only have 6 posts?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had my eEement for only about a month and a half and wanted one for about 2 years. I discovered this site about 3 months ago and have found a wealth of information and ideas on it that I want to try. This was just something that seemed like it should be easy and after a little looking into was easier then I thought. I got a Honda Element electrical service manual off ebay and looked at the circuit. After locating the easiest place to splice together I tried it and was very happy with the result. In my joy I wanted to share with all due to all I have learned from the site. By the way I would recommend this service manual due to that it is from Honda and meant for their technicians and has, I think, every electrical connection in the Element. I won it for about 15 bucks with shipping. Excellent resource along with this site.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Cool mod! :cool:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Simultaneous Domes A Winner!

andsoitiswritten said:
Yes the rear fades exactly like the front. If you open the rear hatch the front light comes on too. The switches on the lights themselves still work independently as well. So if you turn one on only it comes on not both. You can also use the switch to make either one not turn on with the door by just turning it off. Works good and I look forward to trying it tonite when it gets dark.
After having read this earlier this morning, headed over to the neighborhood Checker's and bought the taps & male connectors. $2.59 for the parts. Just hooked up this mod and tested this evening, and yes, it works exactly as advertised!

Only thing is, I had a couple of issues with the taps and had to "wiggle" the wires around to ensure a good connection. After a few minutes of fiddling, it seems as though it's working properly. Just hope that road vibration doesn't shift the wires out of how I positioned them... :| Just be prepared for some finger-contorting too; there ain't much room under there...

Otherwise, this is a brilliant and easy mod if you want your domes to work simultaneously. Confirming what andsoitswritten and Empire have already stated, all combos of lights on/lights off seem to work flawlessly :grin:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wonderful!! Where else will you find this kind of information? No where, that's where.

Thank you for the post.
G.J.

Reactions: Element Wanderer

·
Registered
32 Posts
sweet yo!! cant wait to get this done tomorrow!!!!

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
unbelievably simple, and brilliant! well done!!

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
to make life a little easier, pull off the side panel of the dash, and push out the clip that holds the wire cluster in place. you can now move the cluster around a little which makes it easier to negotiate.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
red wire??

What gauge is the red wire? Does it have to be red(dumb question). I want to try this today but wasn't to sure about the red wire.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The male connectors for the taps accept 14-16ga wire. That's what you'll need to use. Not necessary to use "red" specifically, but just as in andsoitiswritten's case, I did just to differentiate that crossover wire from the rest of the bird's nest behind the glove compartment. Good luck!

·
Registered
228 Posts
So simple

I did this mod earlier today. Was amazed how easy it was. Thanx K-Dogg for clearing up the "red wire" for me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
woosterpuss said:
to make life a little easier, pull off the side panel of the dash, and push out the clip that holds the wire cluster in place. you can now move the cluster around a little which makes it easier to negotiate.
Easier is always better thanks for the tip....gonna do it as soon as Wifey lets me atleast see touch and smell my box I miss driving it.....

Edit:::: Just did the mod as Wifey was feeding the Baby and took me all but 5 minutes from start to finish......
Thanx everyone!!!!!

1 - 20 of 193 Posts