Honda Element Owners Club banner

161 - 180 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,820 Posts
Wire nuts.
Unless you tin the conductors first, these nuts tend to break strands, have little/no resistance to vibration, and unless wrapped with tape, don't protect the conductors from exposure to moisture. You have to be "nuts" to use them for anything smaller than 14 ga inside "house" wiring.

For light gauge interior DC wiring, stakons crimped to the conductors work. For exterior wiring, use professional type crimped pin connectors, automotive ID connectors or soldering with added insulation such as shrink tubing or 33 tape.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Question, I no longer have the actual DOME light. It was replaced with the kids TV. What actually makes the dome dim after the doors close, is it something in the Dome or can I still tap into this Green wire & have the rear dome dim?

I am adding LED puddle lights also & thankfully AztecRol directed me to this thread. I want those lights to turn on & off when the doors open. I just hope that because I dont have the dome light anymore it wont cause any trouble for me. Let me know your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Question, I no longer have the actual DOME light. It was replaced with the kids TV. What actually makes the dome dim after the doors close, is it something in the Dome or can I still tap into this Green wire & have the rear dome dim?

I am adding LED puddle lights also & thankfully AztecRol directed me to this thread. I want those lights to turn on & off when the doors open. I just hope that because I dont have the dome light anymore it wont cause any trouble for me. Let me know your thoughts.
The dome light actually dims because the ground wire, green wire with red stripe, goes to the ECU. The ECU does the dimming.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Use a pair needle nose pliers to pinch clips that are holding the harness in
place. There is also a tab on the back side of the clip. Then pull the harness
assembly loose. This will allow beter access to the wires.
Just did this mod using Free_man_E's directions and the wiretaps as originally described in the first thread. Worked great! Knowing how much trouble people had with getting enough room to do this, I disconnected all the little harness and plug clips. I also unclipped the blue plug from the white one. This allowed me to access the wire furthest back through the dash support. The end result took just a few minutes and everything is out of the way once re-installed. Thanks to everyone for the tips beforehand!

·
Registered
715 Posts
I read a lot of these posts and there was a lot of confusion as to the wires. I just did the mod and both wires are ground wires. the green/red is for the front light and the green/white is for the rear light. So, anyone just wanting to hook up footwell lights that work with the front dome light should hook their ground to the green/red. and positive to an always on positive source. If you want your front and rear dome lights to work together, just hook a jumper between both wires as has been stated in previous posts.

I found it difficult to get to the wires from the glove compartment area, but if you snap off the flat cap on the end of the dash (you see it when the door is open), you can pop the little connectors loose that holds the wiring harness in place and there is a hole large enough that you can get to your wiring from the end of the dash to attach the jumpers without having to try to do it from under the dash. It's real easy that way. I guess I should have took some photos, but it's too late now.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have had this MOD for several years and just noticed it stopped working. May have to have a look and maybe replace the connector thing. Each dome light works independently but not together. Still love the LEDs that I replaced everything with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did this mod tonight and it works great. used the little spice block channeled out and just took a few tight minutes to get everything snapped together.

because I was in there, I spliced another block onto one of the wires with a "ground" wire coming off that is capped for now. I'll use this to [soon] connect to my new footwell LEDs. I tried it to make sure it worked, hooking the LED strand ground to this tap, and the red to a 12v source. Came on great with the dome lights, and dimmed as hoped/expected.

One question... I have a aftermarket JVC nav unit in the car that always takes another second to power down after ignition is off. After mod, I noticed a hiss in the speakers, although it doesn't seem noticeable when music is playing.

Could I have just never noticed this, or did I do something to cause a hiss in the electrical that the speakers are now picking up?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Any idea if this mod will work on the 2nd Gen CRV? seems like they would share the same wiring as far as interior lighting goes and my girlfriend wants this mod in her 2005 CRV. She's just jealous of my Element now...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just done it to my e, thanks working great

·
Registered
39 Posts
Will this mod work on an SC?

Edit*

It looks like Basset Box has done the mod.. Looks like I have a project for this weekend.
Yes, I can confirm that this works for an SC. Works like a champ on mine, change the bulbs to LEDs while you're at it.

161 - 180 of 193 Posts