Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally afters years of wanting one, I made the decision to begin the search for a motorcycle. I have never owned one, or ridden one beyond a 20 ft ride that resulted in a stall 8 years ago. I was able to sell my Jeep with a broken engine and used some of the cash to pick up a used '95 Kawasaki ZX-6R.

Picks will come once I take them.

Before I do that let me share my first ride experience. I have been reading about what to expect and what to do. I have also been able to speak with a coworker who builds his own bikes and he helped me decide on the bike and what to look for.

Due to my lack of experience (none!) I had the seller deliver the bike to my house. I went on a road trip to buy a helmet and finally mustered up the courage to take it out. It was really awkward in the beginning but I was able to stay on top and cruise around the neighborhood ****ing, breaking, cruising and maybe a tad bit of speeding. That cannot be confirmed because the speedometer doesn't work.

While cruising around I decided to hit up a real road. I lived, but at a stop light (over 1/4 mile from home) it died. I began pushing it home because I didn't know what the problem was. All I know is it was 108 out and the oil light was on. I got it fired up once more but it died again. Jeans, helmet, and heat do not mix well. I made it home and cooled off in the pool.

I spent the evening and this morning cruising around some bike forums. I got some good information, bought a few chemicals to use and went home to try it all out. I went to add seafoam into the gas tank and..... it was empty! Oops. I went to fill up my gas jug and added it to the tank. I got my first lesson, no gas light! my second lesson is check the easy stuff first!

I was able to cruise around the neighborhood this afternoon and made it home with it running for the first time. Yay!

Moral of the story is, I have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Enjoy it and good luck with learning! Of course post pictures when you have a chance. :)

·
Registered
4,174 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
The best "accessory" you can buy for your new bike is a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course.

Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You'll love the motorcycle experience. It can be most enjoyable, especially when riding with others and country cruising. Be aware of the stage when you think you've got it mastered and be careful. ;-)

I bet you're glad to be rid of the Jeep.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Definetly take the class. I had people who had been riding for 20+ years take the class with me and they said it was a real eye opener and they were surprised they survived so long without it!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am searching for a course that fits my schedule and isn't a financial raping. I found a beginner MSF course that may work for me. It claims that you exit the course with the experience of 2 years of riding. My girlfriend won't get on until I take a course anyway, so it must be done. I also won't let her on until I am much more comfortable on it. A passenger can wreak havoc. Thanks for the good advise folks.

Here it is:

EDIT: What did I write in the original post that required censoring? I can't figure it out. It makes it look really bad though.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
IMO more green is better than less green on a Ninja, but this looks good. Congrats again and thanks for the picture!:)

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Nice looking bike.

Another safety suggestion: Read "Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well" by David Hough. Lots of accumulated wisdom and tips.

And wear ATGATT!

EDIT: What did I write in the original post that required censoring? I can't figure it out. It makes it look really bad though.
Dunno. The forum software blanks words automatically; sometimes it's no smarter than MS Word's spell-check.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a huge soft spot for sportbikes from 89 through the 90s. I just love the looks even if they're seriously outdated when compared to the new stuff.

Over the years I've had a couple of Yamahas that have a similar look (96 yzf600r and an old FZR1000) and still love the looks of them along with the older ZX6 and ZX7s.

Even though it's older they have a lot of pop for a 1st timer so be safe and keep the rubber side down.

Peace!
Pete

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice looking bike.

Another safety suggestion: Read "Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well" by David Hough. Lots of accumulated wisdom and tips.

And wear ATGATT!
Any gear suggestions? I picked up a helmet already. I am shopping for other stuff though. I definitely need some stuff for hot weather.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just took my MSF class about a month ago in 98 degree weather in a parking lot!!!! Whew was it hot!! Passed with flying colors and I had never been on a bike or shifting before (though I can drive a manual and was scooting around on a 50cc Ruckus). You should have no problem passing the class.

Gear Recommendations: I got these Alpine Stars gloves with Carbon Fiber knuckles. They also have mesh breather areas on the fingers to let air in!
http://www.alpinestars.com/SMX2_A_C_Glove/pd/np/142/p/356775.htmlReally nice! Got them at Cycle Gear (it's a chain store, you may have one near you or online). Also, Joe Rocket makes mesh jackets with padding a must have in hot weather! Wear light colors!!

Note: I personally don't get gear to match the color of my bike. I stick with neutrals (black, grey, white). You never know when you will upgrade bikes. You definitely don't want to buy new gear every time either. Used helmets don't sell! Hope this helps and have fun!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm halfway through with my riding course. Luckily for us it rained last night so it was a little cloudy and cooler when we started at 6am. But by 11am it was brutal on the blacktop (high 90s w/ humidity which we aren't used to). We also had to wear long pants, long sleeve shirt, gloves, helmet and boots. Not the desired attire. One more day and I will be done. Unfortunately we may have to deal with some higer temps. It has been very fun so far and some very helpful habits are being formed.

For gear I picked up some Joe Rocket gloves and a textile jacket. I may take them back and buy used off Craigslist, not sure. I wore the jacket around the neighborhood on Friday and and it is fine when moving along.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Every motorcycle I ever rode had a valve on the fuel line to switch to reserve so that I knew when to stop for gas. If you haven't found yours yet, keep looking.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It claims that you exit the course with the experience of 2 years of riding. My girlfriend won't get on until I take a course anyway, so it must be done. I also won't let her on until I am much more comfortable on it.
Just a bit of advice from a 10yr roadracer.

No MSF course will equip you with two years of experience. The MSF should be mandatory imo but the only way to get 2 years of experience is ride for 2 years.

I wouldn't take a passenger until you've mastered things like panic stops, countersteering, being visible to traffic, etc.

Please don't stunt. Sure wheelies look cool but please don't give into the temptation. If you're feeling nutty do a trackday. Run with the basic group and work with control riders. You'll learn more about your bike in 2 days on the track than you will in 2 months on the street. It's not about racing, it's about control.

ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) I know it gets hot, I live in Florida and know all about heat, it doesn't matter. ATGATT, ride safe, never be someone's blindspot and watch out for people who turn left in front of you.

Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts