Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI everyone,

I seem to be having the same problem as everyone else. I have a 03 ELement Ex and my brake pedal is soft and has to go almost to the floor to stop. I also have the same issue where if you sit a red light, your E wants to pull forward even though your foot is on the brake. It currently has 98K and about 4 years ago i replaced the rotors and brakes all the way around. I know I am due for brake pads within the next 10,000 miles. However, this seems to be more than a brake pad problem to me. ALso today something very odd happend and was wondering if it ever happend to anyone else. I started the car, and 2 seconds later it started chiming, and my maintenance required light and brake light lit up. It stayed on for just a few seconds and went off.

Can someone give me an idea of what might be the problem before i call the shop? :?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Check you brake fluid and make sure the it up to the full line. You could have a binding caliper slider as that is what other that mushy brakes are having. The master cyl might have gotten so empty that there is bubbles in the system.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Yes.

Sounds like the brake fluid is low. May be related to worn pads.

When was the fluid last flushed/replaced/ bleed?

You're prolly due.

Don't ignore it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brake issue

I have a 2005 honda element and my brake pads, rotors and also my right rear caliper were locked up...so I went and had them fixed. Not even 5 months later the same thing is happening...but worse now..now in addition to the brake noise my car is making a wierd noise like it is an old man creaking when i stop. Anyone else having that issue?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just today I noticed an audible but not loud grinding when I brake, rear right only.

The creaking sound, yes, I hear that too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update

I checked the brake fluid this morning, it is full however, it has never been changed. Stopped by my car shop on the way home, went for a test drive with the mechanic. He said that my brakes themselves arent that bad, however he will be checking the entire brake system tomorrow. He also saw that there is a significant amount of grease on my right front rim, and its very thick, and this could be caused by a brake line leak. Will keep everyone posted. Just want it fixed, i drive for my job and transport developmentally disabled adults.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
He also saw that there is a significant amount of grease on my right front rim, and its very thick, and this could be caused by a brake line leak.
Grease (or brake fluid) on the braking surfaces (pads/rotor) could cause poor brake performance...similar to what you've reported.

Brake fluid is more "watery" in appearance....yours prolly looks like root beer by now. If it were leaking out alot at the wheel the resivor would look kinda empty....it doesn't hold much fluid.

The "grease" (black, gooey, thick, sticky) would most likely be from the CV joints....or just flung up off the road.

If it is is coming from the wheel/hub area for sure it could possibly be the wheel bearings.

good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Within 52,000 miles I had brakes replaced three times. Front once and rear twice, and when I traded it in, They were getting bad again.:-(

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2005 honda element and my brake pads, rotors and also my right rear caliper were locked up...so I went and had them fixed. Not even 5 months later the same thing is happening...but worse now..now in addition to the brake noise my car is making a wierd noise like it is an old man creaking when i stop. Anyone else having that issue?
YES ! This happened to me last year at 37,189 miles. I took my '05 into the dealer because of a grinding noise. An unpleasant service rep rolled her eyes, told me my brakes were fine. According to the computer and the mileage they weren't due to be looked at for a long time. We had to argue and pay to have them looked at.

The brake pads on 1 side were gone. Rear brake caliper frozen. Blamed me for 'not driving enough' and living in a damp climate in New England.

Claimed rotors too rusty to resurface. Not so. But they replaced the whole thing. Cost me $650+ . This was a bad day.

My husband did the pads on the other side 6 months later.

Still have the ting-ting-ting noise on slowing down. See the post I wrote about it today... is this what you are describing ? Would like very much to know what it is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just got all new rear brake hardware

I was going through a similar situation on my '03 with 84K on it now. Brakes have been lasting around 25K (mostly city driving), and started getting noises from right rear. The brakes only had around 9-10K on them, but my shop checked them and the right caliper had rusted and seized, and trashed the rotor. The left one wasnt in too good shape either. They put in all new hardware (calipers, rotors, pads, fluid, etc). Said the replacement parts come as a kit with all that and it's more cost effective, and then everything is new again. Cost me about $500 for the whole job (both rears). Not fun, but I plan to keep it for awhile. The pedal has way better feel now than before. Guess I had gotten used to it and didnt notice. The manager said he's seeing more of this because the last 2 winters here (Chicago) have been more severe. Salt and metal is not a good combination.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts