Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I release the brake on my E (especially when I just started the car and its cold) there is a fairly loud noise, noticed the same with my CRV. Honda tech says has to do with the metalic brake design honda uses and I would have to live with it.

Anybody else get this?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Do you mean the parking brake or the brakes? I have a huge clunk when I release the parking brake on my S-10 which is the spring popping the pedal back into position.

Iskie

·
Registered
116 Posts
My breaks squeek a little bit in the mornings when I fisrt start off. 2 corners and no more noise. I am going to mention that when I bring the car in next week to have the "rotten egg" sulfer smell looked at.

·
Registered
894 Posts
There were some posts a few months ago that said that the rotten egg gas smell is normal and will go away. Something about some protection that is put on parts of the engine and exhaust systems that burns away.

Iskie

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I'm releasing the brakes gradually, I hear a little groaning, which isn't too surprising considering what they're actually doing. It's not a sharp or abrupt sort of sound, though. Does that sound like what you're hearing?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I hear a little bit of a squeak from time to time on my S-10's brakes as well. Does not particularly worry me.

Iskie

·
Registered
17 Posts
I notice that when there is moisture outside there is a little sqeaking noise in the morning when I start it up and and when I go thru the first couple of stop signs and then it goes away.

·
Registered
62 Posts
About the brake noise, I beleve it is surface rust on the brake roters or (Disk brakes). Brake roters (Disks) will rust very easy from washing your car, rain or even morning dew. What happens is that the roters are bare metal and as the E sits all night long it gets some rust, and the noise is coming from your brake pads as they wear off the rust to become smooth again. This is normal and will not cause any problems. Next time before you start your E look at your brake disks to see if there is any surface rust on them.

Brian
SLM 5-speed EX

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not a problem for me just hope nothing is wrong. Can't see any rust, it does go away after about 10 minutes of driving. However, it can get loud in the beginning. Sounds like the E is groaning.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello! I have the same noise in the front brakes when I first start off driving. I brought it in and my local dealer said it is not a problem we should be concerned about. Apparently the two other honda SUV's have the same noise. It is "not dangerous" asnd there is no adjustment or repair for it. It's just a Honda thing(according to them) and we are supposed to disregard it. Anyone check their mileage yet?? I am getting DECLINING figures on mine (2100 miles) now down to 16MPG.(!). Dealer says nothing's wrong(?)!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Brake noise. Just after I...

Start in the morning. I back up. From reverse to Drive. I drive at a slow speed through the complex, (here it comes) I step on the brake, ( I hear a small clip-pop low deep noise) it comes from up under the carriage behind the wheel well, Thats it. I never really hear it again, till I start off the next morning.
Is there an issue or is it just the way it is? Design or ambient temp and there is adjustment within going on that is just that.

Thank you. I am listening.​

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I had the same response from the Honda techs even though my brakes sound like they are trying to eat gravel, almost like a bad CV joint type of sound. They checked everything out and said it's normal. I have my doubts since back in 04' I had a caliper seize up and frag the rotor, don't want to go through that again out of warrentee.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts