Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...

I am looking at replacing front and rear pads on my 2005 EX and need some advice on choosing the correct pad for my needs.

Use: Mainly in town traffic driving
Temp: South Louisiana, we average 85-100 during the summer months and 30-45 during the winter.

I am not sure what type of pads OEM are. Currently I have roughly 45k miles on the odometer with some pad left up front. I was going to change them all while I had the box off of the ground.

Ceramics or Semi's? Need help please.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
This thread may help.

A quick search revealed at least 15 threads that hold information you can use.

Dom

·
Registered
816 Posts
ceramic ,,,and if your not rough with the car and your doing the pads yourself,,get the oem pads from the dealer,,,atleast your saving the labor money..btw...there very easy to change on the element,,incase you never did them before..good luck,,and remember to also grease the slider pins..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok folks...

I went to my local Advance Auto store to pick up a complete set of pads for a DYI project that I can do. I looked at the Wagner Thermo Quiet pads. They offered semi's for the front and ceramics for the rear. Is this the same pad combination that Honda puts on?

Or, would it be better for me just to get some OEM;s from the dealer?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
158 Posts
brake parts

Pads: I use HONDA OEM pads. They come with shims, a grease packet (and pad springs for the fronts), while for many aftermarket pads, these items are either not available or must be purchased separately. The OEM fit and quality are there. The aftermarket pads are only a little cheaper, so I prefer the OEM pads and think that they are the bast value. The OEM pads are relatively soft material, but remember that the purpose of brake pads are to stop your car, not last forever.

Rotors: I replace the rotors whenever I replace the pads, and so use aftermarket rotors as they are only a fraction of the cost of the HONDA OEM rotors. The old rotors can be recycled. It is cheaper to just replace the rotors every time I replace the pads rather than machine the rotors. I prefer not to use new pads on worn rotors as they do not give optimum braking.

So, in summary, I use OEM pads and inexpensive aftermarket rotors, and replace the rotors whenever I replace the pads. In my experience, this is the best value, due to low cost with good braking performance.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Advance Auto store to pick up a complete set of pads
FWIW I picked up a set of semi metallic AAP pads for the front of our 97 CRV recently. They've worked out great so far and I do mostly in town driving with that car.

In addition to greasing the pins be sure to bed in the pads and if you have a few extra minutes bleed or change the brake fluid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts