Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow E Owners:

Quick question! I'm in need of brake & rotor replacement. However, a mechanic told me to ONLY use OEM Honda pads & rotors but they seem expensive!

I found this on eBay.....

Is it a good deal? Are they quality parts? Considering brakes are pretty important I want to get good quality stuff even if it means paying for the OEM stuff.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Michael :lol:

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
IMHO, what they're selling are a lot of buzz words. There's NO reason at all you need drilled & slotted rotors on a non-track car. Also if they WERE quality components that were track-worthy, I highly doubt you could find them for that cheap. I also notice they don't have any information on the page as to what you're exactly getting - i.e. the rear rotors for the 03-06 are actually solid, not vented as the pictures show. Se here for decent pics of what they should actually look like. I smell a rat.

Based on past personal experience, I would suggest sticking with the Honda OEM pads and OEM or Brembo OE rotors

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ouch: $649.26 for brakes? Wtf?

OUCH: $649.26 FOR BRAKES? WTF?

Really? Are they serious? I called Walser Honda, my friendly neighborhood Honda dealer for a price quote on Genuine Factory Honda OEM Parts and WOW! Friggin crazy........

So, here is the low (high) down.....

Front Brake Pads: $59.99
Rear Brake Pards: $59.99
Front Rotors: $132.77 each ($265.54)
Rear Rotors: $131.87 each ($263.74)
Total: $649.26

This just doesn't seem right! Maybe I'm wrong which is why I am turning to you guys for some advise! Can someone please confirm whether or not they are in the right ballpark in terms of a fair price. I'm all for businesses making money but this seems OUTrageous!

This figure doesn't even count what I would have to pay someone to install the crap!

Thanks in advance, I think! HA HA!

Minnesota Mike :lol:

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
That is a little high, but it is from the dealer. I replaced pads and rotors on the front of mine for $250 from PepBoys.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
FWIW, when I did the same thing (replace all pads and rotors with genuine Honda) three months ago, total including shipping from Majestic was $380.

·
12,180 Posts
Based on what majestic has posted your dealer is marking up the rotors $30 each over Honda MSRP.Call around and compare pricing with other dealers or order online. I was going to suggest printing off majestics prices and ask them to match them.....But with that markup they may just tell you to take a walk.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
First off, do it yourself only if you have the tools, time, and patience.

Second, go on to ebay and get the powerstop rotors and pads with a 3 year warranty from brakeman76, its $196.00 shipped for all corners. The rotors are drilled/slotted/zinc coated and the pads are ceramic. They are great brakes
for daily rush hour commuting, they don't fade as fast as stock.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
First off, do it yourself only if you have the tools, time, and patience.

Second, go on to ebay and get the powerstop rotors and pads with a 3 year warranty from brakeman76, its $196.00 shipped for all corners. The rotors are drilled/slotted/zinc coated and the pads are ceramic. They are great brakes
for daily rush hour commuting, they don't fade as fast as stock.
I still have to ask why in the world a daily driver, even in rush hour commuting, would need with drilled & slotted rotors? Or for that matter any vehicle out of track performance?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
104 Posts
Slotted & drilled rotors are for looks only. Especially drilled rotors. The holes create weak spots that are more prone to cracking, and the reduced rotor mass increases the temp. Slotted rotors are better cause they serve to wipe the pad face clean, but that's about it. If you do some research, you will find that not one single REAL race car has drilled rotors. They are all some sort of shallow slot...

As for helping with out-gassing that most performance rotors advertise is simply bogus. Pad materials have not had problems with out-gassing since the 80's.

All the info you could ever want about brakes can be found at StopTech.com in the FAQ and Articles section...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just did the rear brakes yesterday

Purchased rotors at NAPA for $53.60 for both rotors and ceramic brake pads for $38.69.

Total cost $92.29. Not sure what drugs your dealer is on, but he's on cloud 9 for pricing. My son who knows his way around brakes, did both rear in 45 minutes. Even if you're slow it shouldn't take a DIY no more than 2 hours to do!

Even the Midas an Meineke shops will do the whole job for a lot less than the dealer!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Well, for one thing is I Autocross mine, but over time x-drilled and slotted rotors will have about a 500% chance over a solid rotor from warping. Also, being zinc coated and living where they salt in winter, they last longer and stay more balanced. The slots also help your pads stay cleaner and wear more evenly. If you drive even a little aggressive or a lot like me, they are worth it. So for 196.50 to have brakes with 3 times the autozone/murrays/pepboys warranty in my area(places dont give warranties past 1 year because of the salt), its nice to have.

Oh, and the eBay user is BrakeMotive76.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Forgot to add, why does Corvette zo6/Zr1, Ferrarri, Lambo, Audi rs?, and other performance cars come stock with drilled rotors, the cracking issues dont happen anymore since they started using champhers and better machining. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
2nd that. Cracking was only an issue on early cheap knock-offs. Drilled rotors dissipate heat better (more surface area) and slotted and dimpled keep the pads cleaner. That said, unless you drive like you stole it, not much difference for the normal driver. They were originally designed for the track, where stock rotors would overheat and glaze with the abuse of racing . Some of the "race" rotors actually perform worse than reg. rotors until they get warmed up on the track.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts