Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've managed to put about 1400 miles on the E since buying it two months ago. So far no problems until last week my wife called me to report that the brake light was on and wouldn't go off and then the ABS light came on too.

When I got home I checked it and it was totally normal. Being a guy I assumed she did "something" like have the parking brake handle slightly up.

Yesterday I took the E to the gas station to fill it up (that's when I get to drive it) and it did it to me. For the 5 minute drive to the station both the brake light and ABS light were on. Brake fluid level was full and brakes felt normal. After filling up (270 miles on 12.9 gallons = 20.9 mpg for those keeping score. Mama's got a lead foot.) I started up and all was perfectly normal - no lights.

Anyone else seeing this? I'll probably take it in to the dealer next week but it will likely be working perfectly then. I did check for a loose connection on the ABS module but it looked OK (but what do I know.)

K

·
Registered
253 Posts
No, but my check engine light was on when I bought my E and it wouldn't go off so I took it in and they said it was a bad sensor. Hopefully that's all yours is.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My engine light came on twice with-in 900 miles of ownership. The first time, the dealer just reset it by Honda Codes. The 2nd time, they just replace a small part in the CPU < sp > and coded it again. I have about 5,000 miles and it hasn't come up again :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm sorry, it was my air bag light. :oops:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is apparently an intermittent problem. It hasn't happened again (yet) so I'm hesitant to take it in to the dealer just yet. I'm afraid it will get a quick checkout, nothing found and handed back to me with a shrug. I wish it would stay on all the time.

Thanks for your input. My neighbor who's a professional car mechanic specializing on exotic imports suggested it might be a faulty brake light connection which triggers the lights. Hmmmmm.......

K

1 - 5 of 5 Posts