Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
It depends. Are we talking about just the brake pads or are we talking rotors too? And if you are doing it yourself, do you want to upgrade to drilled or slotted rotors?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I was just quoted "from $185" for the front discs. That includes new pads and sanding the discs if they're still good. The rears might just need new pads and that would be another $100.

This is a reputable shop that's serviced my Acura previous to my Element for a lot less than the dealer and they've done a good job of it as well.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
worst case senario and i cant DIY or ill brake it << lol get it "brake"

but yeah my front are really bad the dust on my rim is like black lol and they dont work well

so worst case senario with both front & rear rortors and pads

·
Registered
575 Posts
Probably could be anywhere from $200 - $500 depending what needs to be done and/or what you want to do as far as upgraded rotors etc. I know a $300 range is probably not what you're looking for but it depends on a lot of factors. If you have worn them down real bad you may have toasted your rotors beyond repair and need new ones. If so it's a good excuse to upgrade them:)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I just paid $215 to replace the front pads with OEM Honda pads and resurface the rotors at a reputable shop here in L.A. They also checked the rear brakes but they still had a little less than 50% life left in the pads as well as adjusted the parking brake. Pretty much in the ball park that I had figured all along.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I got all 4 rotors x-drilled/slotted and zinc coated, and all performance ceramic pads from ebay from brakeman I think for $191 shipped. I love them, it is all powerstop products, they have great customer service, had a small issue and had the replacement part the next day, he overnighted it for free. My brakes rock now, I autocrossed on the and never faded, stops so much quicker. I have had them on for 2 months now and NO rust anywhere on the rotor, it is nice living in a moist state. When you do your brakes, get CRC brake grease and lube/pack the guide pins like crazy, your brake will last for a lot longer and will wear perfectly even.
Later
Steve

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

u coulve just pmed me lol

btw thats not the first mistake i have been spelling it Hundai Nuvi up until today =P

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Q: Brake(s), Rotor(s), Tires & Alignment. How much $?

yeah so i had my brakes checked twice since i bought it last january and they both said they are like brand new

however now there is a metal crunching when i brake and a rotating scratchign sound

Its so bad that i can actually feel it vibrating

I took a look for myself tryign to find maybe a peice of metal in betweent he rotor and brake but the only thign i found was the fact that i had 3 fairly new brakes and the one on the rear driver side was completley gone, and the metal is grinding against the rotor...

along witht hat my tires are worn and i need all seasons

and my alignment is screwed because witht he E being a box the wind keeps rocking em back and forth and its screwing up my alignment

the auto place wont give me an estimate without them inspecting the car, so all i want to know is how much this will generally cost

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I just had my rear pads and rotors changed at a local shop, not the local Honda dealer and it was just under $200.

I looked on www.tirerack.com for tires and I see that the Kumho Solus KR21's are at $72, so $288 for four tires plus $42 for shipping, if you go that route. Then there is installation.

As for the alignment, I have no idea what that costs. I have never heard of the wind throwing a vehicle out of alignment. :?

Good Luck!

·
12,179 Posts
EDIT: Thread merged with one you already started on needing brake work pricing.

Keep in mind that if you have 3 wheels with good braking material left and one thats metal on metal you likely have a stuck caliper.A not so uncommon issue with older E's and a good reason why regular servicing should be down.

You thought you needed brakes 6 months ago.....Have you had it looked at since them? The longer you drive it the worse its going to get.

I agree with NightStalker...The wind should noy affect your alignment.....Hitting things like potholes....curbs...and or having worn out parts knocks out your alignment.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
then why when i go a certain speed my car starts rumbling and rocking back and forth

thanks for the estimates nightstalker

umm i think your right because previously i was hearing a scratchign noise and now this, not to mention i do hear a rotating metal to metal noise after i start moving when im off the brake

·
12,179 Posts
then why when i go a certain speed my car starts rumbling and rocking back and forth

thanks for the estimates nightstalker

umm i think your right because previously i was hearing a scratchign noise and now this, not to mention i do hear a rotating metal to metal noise after i start moving when im off the brake

I am not saying the wind won't push you around..I am saying that your actual wheel alignment should not be affected by the wind.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
^^^^^ TRUE !

Wind has no effect on alignment. It may be the cause of shocks being worn over time, But has nothing to do with alignment.

Dom

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hitting things like potholes....curbs...and worn parts knocks out your alignment.
Normally, I wouldn't say anything grammar related but I have to share. As of Monday, I have actually hit "worn parts." I was doing a U-turn. I heard a loud clunk and it felt like I ran over a root or something. The next morning I took a good look at the road and there was some metal part laying in the gutter. I it was probably what I ran over the night before. If only I took a picture...

Kory, it seems you need to do some maintenance ASAP.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just had the rear rotors replaced at a local auto shop. used my existing pads as they were still good. Costed me about $140.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts