Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2008 E and do mostly highway driving. At 28K miles (June 2010) at the dealer's advice I had the front and rear brake pads replaced and the rotors machined. I just brought the car in yesterday (Sept 2011) at 46k miles and the dealer said the brakes pads had to be replaced again and this time the rear rotors had to be replaced. My question is - is this normal for an Element?

While I was waiting, the same service rep came to another customer (not sure what model of car) and said basically the same thing. This gentleman seemed to be more knowledgeable than I and told them not to change the brakes, he would look at them himself when he got home.

This is what got me thinking - are they doing brake jobs when there's still life left in the brakes? 18,000 miles seems awfully low for highway driving.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
56 Posts
My current E I just got in Aug an '08 with 34k on the clock, had just had a rear rotor and pads replacement by the dealer as presale prep. I seriously doubt they'd have done that 'just cause'. I know they did it because it showed up on the Carfax.

Our previous E, an 04 we purchased in 04 crashed about 07 and I no longer know how many miles it had. But I don't think we replaced the brakes on it at all during that time.

I know years ago, I had a truck that I took in for a brake inspection to a Car X shop. I think the truck had about 40k on the clock. Anyway the manager told me it needed new rotors. I was F___ing shocked. He had the nerve to take me in and show me a caliper on the Rotors and quoted me number of what tolerances were allowed before replacement (vs turning them). Of course I don't know those numbers of the top of my head so I grabbed my ankles.

Fortunately for me, he didn't have the rotors in stock. The truck was a relatively new model and the rotor supply was kind of tight in the supply chain. He told me not to worry until I got back from the trip. It'd be fine. But I did worry, so I went to another shop recomended by a friend. They told me that they could have turned the rotors several more times, but that they didn't think it needed turning even ONCE!!!

Scam!

Good luck, and keep us posted. Also what does it cost to replace brakes on the E?

Thanks,

Bear

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
My current E I just got in Aug an '08 with 34k on the clock, had just had a rear rotor and pads replacement by the dealer as presale prep. I seriously doubt they'd have done that 'just cause'. I know they did it because it showed up on the Carfax.

Our previous E, an 04 we purchased in 04 crashed about 07 and I no longer know how many miles it had. But I don't think we replaced the brakes on it at all during that time.

I know years ago, I had a truck that I took in for a brake inspection to a Car X shop. I think the truck had about 40k on the clock. Anyway the manager told me it needed new rotors. I was F___ing shocked. He had the nerve to take me in and show me a caliper on the Rotors and quoted me number of what tolerances were allowed before replacement (vs turning them). Of course I don't know those numbers of the top of my head so I grabbed my ankles.

Fortunately for me, he didn't have the rotors in stock. The truck was a relatively new model and the rotor supply was kind of tight in the supply chain. He told me not to worry until I got back from the trip. It'd be fine. But I did worry, so I went to another shop recomended by a friend. They told me that they could have turned the rotors several more times, but that they didn't think it needed turning even ONCE!!!

Scam!

Good luck, and keep us posted. Also what does it cost to replace brakes on the E?

Thanks,

Bear
what's that old saying; "the time to find a good mechanic is before you need him".
with all the shops paying commissions to employees on parts it's no wonder mechanics have become parts hangers. sign of the times I guess.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Brake replacement time

Hi all,

I have a 2008 E and do mostly highway driving. At 28K miles (June 2010) at the dealer's advice I had the front and rear brake pads replaced and the rotors machined. I just brought the car in yesterday (Sept 2011) at 46k miles and the dealer said the brakes pads had to be replaced again....
My '09 E just hit 41k and the brakes show about 1/4 > 1/2 remaining. I can't speak for others, but I do about 75% highway and I'm VERY light on the brakes, coasting to lights & stop signs, etc. A quick check is to look though the wheels (if possible) with a light to see how the outboard pads look, about 1-2 quarters thick would be minimum (appx).

On a side note, my OEM Goodyears are now down to 5/32" (37% left), so they'll make 50k easily, but I will replace them before winter to be safe.

Rick

·
Registered
599 Posts
I agree with everyone here that you very likely don't need pads or rotors given your mileage. I've got 76k on my 2005 and the pads were replaced (by me) all around at about 65k if my memory serves. I'm still using the original rotors and they've got tons of life left in them still.

So unless your brake system is malfunctioning (ie stuck caliper, bad master cylinder, air in the lines) there's no reason you should need pads or rotors. The only thing I can think of is if you're letting a teenager drive it, or they're sneaking it out. Those pesky kids love to brake at the last possible moment :-D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, I already had them do the work since I had taken the day off from work and I'll shortly be transporting of our boy scout troop around :(

Here are the details (dealership in Yorktown Heights, NY):

Replace Rear Rotors & Pads: Labor 214.20, parts: 68.95
1 43022-SCV-A00 Pad Set

Replace Front Pads & Cut Rotors: Labor: 230.40 parts 384.95
1 45022-SCV-A00 Pad Set 74.95
1 42510-SCV-A00 Disk - 155*2 = 310.00

Total: Labor - 444.60
Total: Parts - 453.90
Total: 898.50!!!!

Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah - it stings like heck. Especially since that's the second time in 18 months! I've sent my post here to the Service manager at the dealership. I'll share his response (if any).

Rob

·
Registered
523 Posts
Replaced my front pads with around 80-90k on the car, replaced the rear around 100k. Unless you drive with two feet and ride the brake all the time, I can't see how they can need to be replaced twice. That would make you burn through 4 sets of pads (and probably new rotors) by the time I was replacing mine for the first time. If your rotors don't seem warped there really isn't a need for them to be machined anyway.

Always have them show you the pad. They come with about 1/4" of "pad" so when they show it to you and try to scare you into replacing them with ONLY 1/8" left... keep in mind that's damn near 50%.

Changing your breaks from start to finish is like a 1 hour job. Certainly worth buying all the tools and having $7-800 left over. Get a jack, jack stands, a breaker bar, a socket for the lugs, a socket for the caliper, buy the brake kit from HandA, and a service manual.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Replaced my front pads with around 80-90k on the car, replaced the rear around 100k. Unless you drive with two feet and ride the brake all the time, I can't see how they can need to be replaced twice. That would make you burn through 4 sets of pads (and probably new rotors) by the time I was replacing mine for the first time. If your rotors don't seem warped there really isn't a need for them to be machined anyway.

Always have them show you the pad. They come with about 1/4" of "pad" so when they show it to you and try to scare you into replacing them with ONLY 1/8" left... keep in mind that's damn near 50%.

Changing your breaks from start to finish is like a 1 hour job. Certainly worth buying all the tools and having $7-800 left over. Get a jack, jack stands, a breaker bar, a socket for the lugs, a socket for the caliper, buy the brake kit from HandA, and a service manual.
90K is reasonable if you're doing very little city driving and live in a snow/salt free climate (maybe).... in the north east urban areas, i use my brakes more than i use the gas :| and they love to rust to all hell and bind/get stuck. i'm at less than 75K and i'm about to install the 3rd set of pads (that i know of - car was bought used with non OEM pads so I assume those were the 2nd set) and 2nd set of rotors

·
Registered
523 Posts
90K is reasonable if you're doing very little city driving and live in a snow/salt free climate (maybe).... in the north east urban areas, i use my brakes more than i use the gas :| and they love to rust to all hell and bind/get stuck. i'm at less than 75K and i'm about to install the 3rd set of pads (that i know of - car was bought used with non OEM pads so I assume those were the 2nd set) and 2nd set of rotors
100% true. I am in Phoenix. No humidity, no salt, really no weather of any kind. Nearly all highway miles, and even our surface streets are large with high speed limits and the only braking is for a blue hairs cutting you off, or a stop light.

·
Registered
146 Posts
It sounds as if you're stumbled upon an unscrupulous dealer. That just doesn't sound right. I'd run away from this dealer. Better luck in the future.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the dealer got back to me with a very detailed email. It listed how much of my brake pads were used up. Basically the front pads avg 10.9 mm and the rear 9.1 mm with the indicator triggering at 1.6mm. The first visit showed even wear of 2 mm left. The second visited showed that rust had frozen the "L.F. lower caliper pin" and that rust on the rear "brake caliper saddle" caused the excess wear. It sounds reasonable, but why would they have rusted so badly? I use my car every day, so it's not like it was in storage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts