Honda Element Owners Club banner

Brake Rotor

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  MennoToaster 
#1 ·
Is there anyone using drilled and slot brake rotor? some ppl said those brake rotor is easy to be cracked.... so, which brand would be the best? Thanks.

#2 ·
I've been using them on my E since 2004. Cross drilled rotors are more prone to cracking but I have yet to have that happen on my vehicles since I use OEM pads. Aftermarket pads can be more aggressive resulting in more heat. I prefer using cross drilled and slotted rotors. They look better, dissipate heat better and I have noticed less brake dust. If you are really concerned then just go with a dimpled rotor and/or slotted rotor. As far as brand, mine are essentially Brembo blanks that have been altered.

#3 ·
they're pretty pointless in a regular street car.

they were originally made this way for race applications and high heat that required quicker cooling.

it's pretty pointless in almost all driving situations. it's more of a aesthetic thing.

personally i stay away from slotted/drilled rotors. They are usually just blanks that get drilled/slotted afterward.

#5 · (Edited)
Recently installed Brembo blank front rotors with OEM pads, stop great, very smooth and are quiet. I was definitely impressed with the OEM pad quality. No assessment on brake dust, but previously used OEM pads and didn't notice any significant accumulation (wife's car). About $90-95 shipped for the pair, cheaper and still good quality compared to OEM $150.

I have Raybestos rear rotors and OEM pads, this is also working well. I was not expecting to replace rear rotors, but noticed some grooving due to rear caliper brackets in need of cleaning & regrease.

#6 ·
I installed them on mine as I live in a steep hill area and they are working good and have not had any cracking or other problems yet with regular ceramic pads.

#7 ·
I would suggest OEM style rotors. They are more then sufficient, will last longer and you can re surface them. If your cross drilled/slotted rotors ware they are trash and not serviceable, not to mention you will go threw pads faster.

Honda knows what they are doing.

#10 · (Edited)
Cross drilled and slotted rotors are serviceable, you just have to take extra care and make sure you use sharp bits when you put them on a brake lathe. As far as going through pads faster, I have over 60k on my first set of pads and have been using cross drilled and slotted rotors since the first month and still have plenty of pad left.

#8 ·
I used the Brembo OEM rotors on my previous Element with stock pads and absolutely loved them. Just my $.02 on the subject.

#11 ·
Twi's right on target with name brand rotors. Most of the cheaper slotted and drilled rotors are foreign knock-offs that are of much thinner, poor quality material and will cause the owner headaches.

Slotted rotors will help cooling. They will help resolve common factory rotor warpage problems caused by too small of a brake rotor design like what is on the rear of my Chevy truck.

Nothing makes a vehicle look more tough than the look of a performance brake set-up.

#14 ·
Aww well you guys are bums. Was hoping for a photo but that's okay, an extra $100 on brake pads and rotors is a little much. Went with the Power Stop. Haven't looked at the Raybestos ones, Summit Racing was having sale yesterday that I couldn't pass up, and I don't remember seeing that brand on their website.

#15 ·
I have been running the EBC drilled/slotted rotor set front and rear with the Yellow Stuff pads. I was doing a lot of towing and still do from time to time. I LOVE THESE BRAKES!!! There is no fade and no warping. They are a very consistent and reliable set up.

I plan on upgrading my wife's Pilot with these when her brakes run out.

#16 ·
Thanks scorsone, they did look like awesome brakes. If it wasn't such a big price difference I would have gone with EBC. I feel confident with Power Stop because another Element owner has had them on his E for over a year now and they've been great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.