Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be replacing my rotors soon.

I have never done it on an Element. Just wanted to know if it is any different than any other car.

Is there a post or a web site that has instructions of how to complete this?

Any information will be helpful...

Thanks

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Nah....they are very normal.....nothing tricky.

the rears have drums for the parking brake but it is still very straightforward.

Check out the sticky at the top of the page for more info.

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
opinions on cross drilled, slotted rotors?

OK, so I've not done a search yet on this topic in this forum; and I am a newbie so maybe there's been a lot of real estate devoted to this already, but what are the prevelent E-opinions on stock rotors and pads versus more robust aftermarket rotors, like cross drilled and slotted rotors? Ditto for pads?

I don't imagine I'll do much towing with it, but I'm a pretty hard, fast driver and like the concept of more stoppage is better when it comes to vehicles. (Except, of course when I have my sweetie and my doggos with me, at which point I become Mr. Saftey Conscious. - is that what SC stands for?).

·
Registered
14 Posts
After doing my front pads and rotors today I had to go back and look at this video of the guy removing the two screws from the rotors. Im glad he put the note on the screen about him already loosening them. I almost tore myself up getting those two screws out and even came up with some new swear words as well. I completely destroyed a bit on my impact screwdriver and even had to destroy one of the screws in the process of removing. But, I can say after those two screws were off, I was home free. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Screws are the worst

My routine for dealing with the screws on rotors is: spray them with PB blaster and give them one shot with the hammer type impact tool. If they don't budge, I drill the heads off. Never need them anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So once the screw heads are drilled off, how do you remove the rest of the screw that is left sticking out once the roter is removed? Or do you switch to a smaller drill bit and keep drilling until you are able to remove it or its all out? And do you know what the specifications (size) of the screws are so I can go to the store to purchase replacements? Or do I need to get these screws directly from Honda?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Vise grips

there will be about 3/4" of the screw sticking out of the hub. After soaking them more with some PB Blaster I try to extract them with vise grips, they'll either come out, or break off. If you really want to replace them (they do nothing) Most real parts stores will have them in stock on the Help / Dorman rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
So you don’t need to attach the rotor to the wheel hub assembly? Am I right to assume that if you don’t reattach the rotor with the screws, it will remain in place simply by reassembling everything and the lug nuts will keep everything tight and in place?

·
Registered
302 Posts
When I did my rotors about a year ago, one side came out easy with an impact driver, while the other side was a pain that I drilled out the screws. After I drilled out half of the screw heads the rest of the screw came loose easily.

Yes, if you dont replace the rotor screws, the lugnuts hold everything in place just fine. But the rotors will be annoyingly loose each time you take off the wheel. I replaced my rotor screws, but added some anti-seize to them before putting in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts