Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All. I'll be towing my dirtbike or putting it on a carrier on the back. I've already talked to several Element owners who've had no problems using a dirt bike carrier (I have a class III hitch with weld reinforcements to the frame).

Does anyone know of a rotor and pad (possibly even calipers) combo for the Element which would be a good upgrade over OEM/Stock?

I've decided against both Powerstop and TSX brakes for very specific reasons so far.

Thanks in advance all, appreciate all your help as usual!

Dave

·
Registered
2009 LX, Auto, AWD, Omni Pearl Blue
195 Posts
In the search box, type "TSX brake upgrade" and you will come up with hundreds of postings describing the upgrade, some of which have parts listings (I know I posted a listing at one time). Over the years there have been dozens of vendors offering TSX brake kits, so you are going to have to research which ones are currently available and which ones have the parts that fit your needs.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
2,373 Posts
There is no TSX upgrade for the rear calipers/rotors. Only upgrade would be pads with different friction compound.
The Raybestos E3 pads I mentioned in your other post, do have a higher DOT friction rating than OE pads or standard replacements.

Reactions: mr_manny

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
2,373 Posts
I prefer coated rotors to prevent rust on the unswept portion.
Currently using cryogenic treated front rotors. These are supposedly better for high heat and prevent warping. They started pulsating about 10K miles, so not much difference for me.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I prefer coated rotors to prevent rust on the unswept portion.
Currently using cryogenic treated front rotors. These are supposedly better for high heat and prevent warping. They started pulsating about 10K miles, so not much difference for me.
  • Z23 Carbon-Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
    Upgraded braking performance designed for every-day cars, trucks and SUVs
  • Dual-Layer Rubberized Shims
    Better noise insulator for virtually silent braking
  • Drilled, Slotted & Zinc Plated Rotors
    Provide maximum cooling and helps protect against rust and corrosion

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Thanks so far for your replies.
I spoke to PowerStop and the Z36 which is rated for towing only comes in a fit for the Element for the front. Otherwise, it's required to use the Z23 for the rear. That's why I'm ruling them out. I'd like brakes all around which are not going to be performing differently. The Z36 has stainless steel shims which dissipate heat faster, they say.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi Thanks so far for your replies.
I spoke to PowerStop and the Z36 which is rated for towing only comes in a fit for the Element for the front. Otherwise, it's required to use the Z23 for the rear. That's why I'm ruling them out. I'd like brakes all around which are not going to be performing differently. The Z36 has stainless steel shims which dissipate heat faster, they say.
Understood. I wonder if you couldnt use the Z23 with like EBC pads. I regularly have 2-300lbs in the back of mine and the Z23 stops just fine for what its worth. Way better than the stock anyway

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
There is no TSX upgrade for the rear calipers/rotors. Only upgrade would be pads with different friction compound.
The Raybestos E3 pads I mentioned in your other post, do have a higher DOT friction rating than OE pads or standard replacements.
Have you tried the Raybestos E3 pads yourself? I am curious about these pads, they look to be a good price, cheaper than the Hawk LTS ceramic pads I have been using

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
2,373 Posts
Have you tried the Raybestos E3 pads yourself? I am curious about these pads, they look to be a good price, cheaper than the Hawk LTS ceramic pads I have been using
Yes, have them on front and rear. They have a nice "bite" when up to temperature. They stop ok when cold, it's just they stop better when hot. No noises EVER. The dust is much less than the oe pads I used for years. For the $ they are great. I would guess they are very similar to the Hawk LTS, do you know the DOT friction rating of those?

Reactions: wannahonda

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Yes, have them on front and rear. They have a nice "bite" when up to temperature. They stop ok when cold, it's just they stop better when hot. No noises EVER. The dust is much less than the oe pads I used for years. For the $ they are great. I would guess they are very similar to the Hawk LTS, do you know the DOT friction rating of those?
Not sure what the DOT rating is and am not familiar with the DOT rating system for friction but here is the coefficient of friction chart from Hawk

Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Electronic device

This is one level below their entry level racing pad the Hawk HP Plus which makes plenty of brake dust and a bit of squealing

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys if I get Hawk LTS pads all the way around, which rotors might I want to pair them with for mountain / towing use? I hear a lot of skepticism about drilled rotors for regular, non-racing applications. I'm not sure about which brand etc. Maybe powerstop rotors with the Hawk LTS pads?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I used Eurorotor with my Hawk LTS pads, they are blank rotors. I do not like slotted or drilled rotors as they get cracks when used in high temp applications like on the race track, my friends and I have been through this before and have all switched to blank rotors

The Eurorotors are a high carbon alloy G11H18, they have held up much better under heavy duty braking like racetrack use with racing pads, the LTS pads are one level below Hawks entry level racing pad. You can look for other brake disc manufacturers who use G11H18 in a blank rotor if Eurorotor is not available where you are

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All. I'll be towing my dirtbike or putting it on a carrier on the back. I've already talked to several Element owners who've had no problems using a dirt bike carrier (I have a class III hitch with weld reinforcements to the frame).

Does anyone know of a rotor and pad (possibly even calipers) combo for the Element which would be a good upgrade over OEM/Stock?

I've decided against both Powerstop and TSX brakes for very specific reasons so far.

Dave
Dave I towed my MC on a small trailer for 5 years...never had an issue.... stock pads and rotors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey ddacaro,
I have a 3 bike galvanized trailer (about 250lb), with the OEM trailer hitch and OEM brakes and have had no problem stopping while hauling 2 dirtbikes (about 550Lb) and with the back full of gear bags and tools, probably close to 1000lb altogether. The hitch is rated @150lb tongue weight and 1500lb trailer weight by Honda, so I doubt you need to go for better brakes for your needs....just sayin

·
Registered
15 Posts

Dave
I have towed a dirt bike for years on a carrier with no issues. Had my original rotors & ceramic pads for dust control. The ceramic pads never seem to perform as well as the carbon metallics, but I've never had an issue. I just did the powerstop TSX upgrade a few months ago. Big braking improvement for a few hundred bucks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts