Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 3,000 miles of careful break-in of brakes, and get--not always--but fairly consistently a shudder almost as if have a rotor problem--except steering wheel doesn't have that rotor shake in a classic warped rotor problem. Almost as if whole body is not quite steady or brakes under powered for weight. Not always the case, and not linked to hard or long downhill (heated) braking. I took into dealer, had a loaner with 15K miles and it had *same, identical* issue. Had a (CRV) Honda owner drive without telling him of issue and he noticed it as well without prompting. Not always there, as I said.

This is my second Element, and previous one did not have this issue.

Have any others had this issue? Dealer claimed no rotor or disk issues (what I expected them to say).

Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
First inclination is to check the tires, you don't have how many miles or a year fill out your profile and that will help more. Could be something simple like a bent shield or buildup of crap in the rotors, my other inclination is say that you are feeling the road, some cars pickup the road better then others, this one seems to in my case at least pickup bumps firmly.
I am not sure what a careful break in of the brakes is but that in of itself could cause problems depending upon your breaking habits. I was always told to seat brakes hard after a break job to make sure things work and help alignment. Did you replace the rotors, all the pads, or did you have the rotors cut. As of late I am of the opinion that cutting rotors is a waste of time, often rotors are near the low end of specs when new. Did you do the brakes or did someone else, were the pins lubed, new shims put on etc.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts