Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?:
What does the owners manual say about the break in period for the engine? Does it give you a certain number of miles in the break in period to change the oil? Is there a owners manual online that I can look at?

:?: :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Break-in is 600 miles and you should not use cruise control during that time but vary your speed and engine RPM often to allow the rings to seat properly. It's in the owner's manual. :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:) :)

Thanks for the information utahrex :!: Hopefully I will be in my Element next week. Does the manual say anything about the first oil change :?:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Per pg 213 in the owners manual it says to change oil at 10K miles under normal conditions. On pg 215 it says to change the oil at 5K miles under severe conditions. Even though conditions aren't severe here yet, I will change my oil somewhere between 3K and 5K miles. I don't like the idea of running a break in oil 10K miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ion777

I would have to agree with you on the oil change being at 3000 to 5000 miles. I work with a mechanic that has worked at japanese car dealers and also rebuilds and shows cars and he said the first oil change would be good at 3000. It may be old school thought to change at 3000 miles for newer engines but I have decided to stick with it. I figure the cleaner the oil stays the better the car will be in the long run. I did know a guy that would change oil every 2000 miles. :shock:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Would it hurt to change the first oil change at 1000 miles. I know its a special oil in there, but wouldn't be a good idea to get the tiny fragments (if any) out sooner. Then maybe put new oil as the same formulation as the factory blend? Or does it really matter?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Another question. I went on the freeway for a 30 mile drive at reading of 250 miles on the car. Does that hurt the car during the first 600 miles to go on the freeway for 30 miles? I did not put on cruise control.

·
Registered
118 Posts
states NOT to change oil before the specified interval. There are special additives in the oil to help parts seat properly and changing the old too soon merely dumps these additives before they have time to do the job. I too have always changed at 3000 and often sooner on a new car, but this time I will follow the instructions as given. I would hate to have excessive oil consumption down the road and have to explain why I changed oil in complete disregard for the manual. Not sure if the warranty would be any good in that case.

·
Registered
894 Posts
ibutchman:

As far as I understand freeway driving is not an issue as long as you stayed under the double-nickle. As well, they suggest you don't drive at the same speed for a long period of time - which is why cruise control is not recommended.

Iskie

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well, I did go up to 60 mph a few times but quickly went back down.
and I vary my speed 5-10 mph.

Thanks for the advice......appreciated!......Butch

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just wanted to add that the manual also advises against quick acceleration or braking during this period.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've taken 4 Elements out on test drives, and one dealer told me their policy was for him to drive to a designated point and then I could drive.
Well, hell, the Salesman gunned the thing and my head flew back - he also slammed on the brakes at the last second. He was trying to impress me with the acceleration, but I only was only thinking - I not buying THIS one.

13 miles on the Engine and he drove it like a crazy person. Well, the dealer that I eventually bought mine from told me the terrible way people drive cars on test drives. They really test their limits and drive them hard.
Not good for a brand new engine.

I was concerned that my Element would come in and before I was notified - it might get driven on several test drives by salesman trying to hook a customer. It really runs counter to the manual for people to drive these things all-out on test drives, but it happens everyday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Simon,

I feel the same way. If the saleman drove it hard you know other people testing them will drive them hard also. I would have told the saleman that I would not buy that car if he did not go by what it states in the manual for the first 600 miles :x When I test drove one I took it easy like you are supposed to do. The salesman did not come along with my wife and I. I hope when mine comes off the truck that no one slams it around like a Nascar driver. The saleman said there would be a sold sign on mine so that no one else will drive it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:!: :!: :!:

I have talked with two service managers in my area so far. They both come to the 3000 mile mark for the 1st oil change during the break in period. They both said Honda recomends 3750. One said do not do anything before 2000 miles. I will be calling 4 more dealers in my area Monday to get more educated on the 1st oil change. I will post Monday on what the consenses is. :roll:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Here it is Monday night and I do not have any service managers break in oil reports. I got so tied up at work I did not have time to call the other four. Sorry guys and gals I will report in tomorrow.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I did some extensive reading on Synthetic oil (Amsoil, Mobil1, Redline, etc.)
and the reporting was from a Gov't group evaluating Synthetic oil for Armed Service road vehicles - not from someone selling it.

There is one thing that is important to note from the EXPENSIVE, exhaustive testing - don't use synthetic oil for the first 5,000 miles !!
The report stated unequivocally to NOT use synthetic oil in a engine with less than 5,000 miles. Synthetic oil is so slippery is will hinder the break-in of the engine. Coincidentially, Honda's figure for break-in oil is also 5,000 miles.

I hear so many still speaking of the old rule of doing the first oil change at 500-750 miles, etc. That doesn't apply to new engines today. New engines today are ran on a computer operated machine and the oil with the shavings is discarded and then the crankcase is filled with fresh oil.
The oil from the factory has special addititives that aid in breaking in the engine. Let that oil do it's job, and don't switch to Synthetic til 5,000 miles or greater !!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I called 4 more service managers in my area and here are the answers they gave me for the first oil change after the engine has been broken in.
1. 3750
2. 5000
3.no less than 4000 because of the additives in the oil when the engine comes srtaight out of the factory. This service manager asked one of the more experienced techs that had just been to Honda school and went just for infomation on the Element

All the guys that said 3750 they were leaning more toward 3000.

Now why does each Honda dealer have a differnt story :?:

I would tend to lean toward 3000 but the #3 answer sounds more professional. The 3750 is close enough to 4000 also :roll:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts