Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least they tried. While on vacation someone tried to break in to my E!. Damaged the door cylinder and the surrounding plastic. Need a new door handle and cylinder for the driver's door.

Can H and A help? Dealer want's big $$$ to replace it. thinking of doing it myself. anyone else do this before?:confused:

Thanks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's an excellent how-to on lock replacement. Search for it.
found it. thanks!

Happened in Texas last week. Maybe it was the zombies I keep hearing about.:twisted:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
:confused:

Don't you have insurance?

I mean that's a real bummer but your comprehensive coverage should take care of it as the company would consider it vandalism. My theory is: why have insurance if you aren't going to use it?

·
Registered
508 Posts
My guys used a rock when they broke into mine :(

I wish they just damaged the lock, best of luck on the repair man :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I mean that's a real bummer but your comprehensive coverage should take care of it as the company would consider it vandalism. My theory is: why have insurance if you aren't going to use it?
I do--- of course. I'm just not interested in the hassle of leaving my car at the body shop/dealer for a day to get the estimate then "uh, it's gonna take 3 days to get the part" then a day to fix it.

then explaining why I didn't bother to file a police report. bla bla bla.

basically... as my wife says "I'm a stubborn old goat":rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I do--- of course. I'm just not interested in the hassle of leaving my car at the body shop/dealer for a day to get the estimate then "uh, it's gonna take 3 days to get the part" then a day to fix it.

then explaining why I didn't bother to file a police report. bla bla bla.

basically... as my wife says "I'm a stubborn old goat":rolleyes:
Oooo-kay.

It's your money.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Depends on your deductible too....My Pontiac Sunfire got broken into and since it was less than the $500 deductible I would have to pay for it anyways.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Depends on your deductible too....My Pontiac Sunfire got broken into and since it was less than the $500 deductible I would have to pay for it anyways.
$500 Deductible? Why have insurance if the deductible is so high as to be worthless?

Zero deductible comprehensive costs me around $50 a year. Worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
590 Posts
$500 Deductible? Why have insurance if the deductible is so high as to be worthless?

Zero deductible comprehensive costs me around $50 a year. Worth the peace of mind.
how old are you and how old is he? i'm <30 and my ins nearly triples when i change it from $250 deductible to zero with Geico...

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
how old are you and how old is he? i'm <30 and my ins nearly triples when i change it from $250 deductible to zero with Geico...
You may have a point (I'm 63 and have been with State Farm for 35+ years) but I'm talking about comprehensive coverage which at least in my experience is different from accident coverage where I have a $100 deductible. Call your insurance agent and ask.

Factoid- When I was 30 and had been with State Farm less than five years I discovered one morning that someone had thrown a brick at my near new Datsun pickup truck leaving a dent on the top of the front fender. The agent took one look and said "That's vandalism. You're covered under your comprehensive." The best body shop in town fixed it and it cost me nothing.

(Gawd I loved that Datsun...)

·
Registered
123 Posts
At least they tried. While on vacation someone tried to break in to my E!. Damaged the door cylinder and the surrounding plastic. Need a new door handle and cylinder for the driver's door.

Can H and A help? Dealer want's big $$$ to replace it. thinking of doing it myself. anyone else do this before?:confused:

Thanks.
Before I moved out of my last apartment my craptastical Saturn SC2 was broken into 3 times in 4 months. Anyway, I am a junk yard guy, and took a pair of cylinders off of a junk Saturn ($10 for the pair) and then took them down to the local locksmith to match keys ($15). I put the cylinders on myself so it wasn't that much and it looked as good as new. Elements aren't that popular, so I would call your local salvage yards first. They may already have that part removed and actually have the keys, but it may be a little bit more expensive too (I wouldn't pay of $50 for locks and keys).

The only thing about what I did was that I now had keys for the doors and then a different key for the ignition, but that didn't really bother me.

People breaking in your car sucks, good luck whatever you do.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My vehicles always seem to have random things happen to them. My old civic actually got picked up and moved by a college-turned-olympic athlete from my dorm and his huge buddies (allegedly, said the police the morning after). In the process, they put a dent in the driver door that was almost as big as the door itself. It's a good thing I had comprehensive with a low deductible then, and I continue to carry it. And it came in handy when I had a random dent from a frisbee golf disc taken out of the roof of the E a month or two ago.

But hey, insurance or not, how many people can say they saw the dude who vandalized their car (especially appropriate, as it happened at the University of Idaho--go Vandals) carrying his nations flag in an olympic opening ceremony? I can!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts