Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Aaaaaaaand waking up an old thread...

My LED tail/brake bulbs are starting to burn out. Each one has 50-60 tiny lights on it, and they are going out a few at a time. They lasted a good 4 or 5 years. Anybody have a new LED favorite? Nice and blindingly bright?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Aaaaaaaand waking up an old thread...

My LED tail/brake bulbs are starting to burn out. Each one has 50-60 tiny lights on it, and they are going out a few at a time. They lasted a good 4 or 5 years. Anybody have a new LED favorite? Nice and blindingly bright?
Cree LED. Nothing brighter but pretty pricey.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Ha! I was looking at those because the shop is nearby. How do you like the "spread" of the light out the sides, reflected? i.e. Some bulbs reflects look like only 5 distinct dots: 4 (4 sided bulb) + 1 (end). The kind I have now with tiny Leds all over, spread great, with the whole reflector "full", but obviously aren't as bright, and are now failing after a few (4-5?) years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
They are SUUUUPER bright. Yeah thats my buddies company. By no means am i trying to bring them business or anything but simply reporting. Bulbs are just insane.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
They are SUUUUPER bright. Yeah thats my buddies company. By no means am i trying to bring them business or anything but simply reporting. Bulbs are just insane.
Tell your buddy to post more specs. I would have already made a decision if I had been able to compare them easier to others. <- FRIENDLY criticism

Although they DID just post the same ones in "4th gen", which would answer more of my "spread" concern with 2 lights on each side instead of 1, but still vs 3 on those 80w superlumination bulbs that are the same price. Also, only 2 lights in the end vs SL 4. Yes, I know there are issues with superlumination, but you can't beat the selection if you are picky like me. Also the quality at SL is better than random ebay. I haven't been a JLC customer long enough to review their quality. So far so good.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Although they DID just post the same ones in "4th gen", which would answer more of my "spread" concern with 2 lights on each side instead of 1, but still vs 3 on those 80w superlumination bulbs that are the same price. Also, only 2 lights in the end vs SL 4. Yes, I know there are issues with superlumination, but you can't beat the selection if you are picky like me. Also the quality at SL is better than random ebay.

So the 4G pair from JLC is available in 30 or 50watt. I picked up the 50w for 60/pr. (10x 5w lights = 50w)

I also picked up the SL pair in 80w for 60/pr. (16x 5w lights = 80w)

ImageUploadedByAG Free1419545890.929444.jpg

Between the two, the bulbs sit at slightly different positions in the tail light and end up looking the same. I got multiple opinions with no clear winners.

Compared to my old SL "108 SMT" bulbs at 60/pr...

ImageUploadedByAG Free1419545949.526777.jpg

...the SL "108 SMT" were actually BRIGHTER as running lights, even with some burn outs in the 108smts, BUT the SL 80w & JLC 50w were BRIGHTER as brake lights, which is more important in my opinion. The SL 108smt actually had a better spread in both running and brakes, but brightness is also more important than spread.

Im guessing the SL 80w might have had a better spread if they shortened the bulb into the sweet spot of the housing. I mean, it has 50% more side leds, and 100% more end leds.

The winner would be JLC simply because I can buy local (no shipping), pay cash, and there is a check-in discount coupon on yelp, so the price is lower.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Thanks Legioss! Just ordered a set of the LED back-up bulbs.

Would be interested in the brake lights too. I saw that thread. Which ones do you have, that are available?

-Kent
My extra set is the JLC 4G 50W (red) ((fits 7443))
http://www.jlcconcept.com/index.php/4th-gen-cree-led-light-bulbs.html

I was going to keep these, but I missed the return window on the others, so I kept those instead. Then I missed the return window on these too. I have been out of town for work. :(

Before you consider buying LEDs for brakes (or turn signals), be aware that you need to install some fixes to avoid problems. For JUST led brakes, see posts 1 & 3 here:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72398

If you have any questions on that fix, ask in THAT thread.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
When choosing overly bright lights (either headlamps or rear-facing), remember one fact:

You're shining a flashlight in someone's eyes. Do you want them to see you? Because getting the brightest thing on the market to blind them with, is not the way to prevent you, or more likely pedestrians, from being stuck by people with spots in their eyes from your lights.

Code of Federal Regulations for automobiles even states that headlamp bulbs should be no more than 3000 candela, and no more than 5000 kelvin temp for this reason. Rear facing lights (except brake lights) must be a red color, and they have less candela (not sure what it is).

Do any of you know why red lights are rear facing? It's because the red spectrum doesn't dilate your pupils as much as a white or yellow light, preserving your night vision. It is also why many street lamps used to be an orange or almost magenta color. It helps you preserve your periphery vision, which allows you to see things like people about to cross a crosswalk, so you don't strike granny down in a fit of Lumaniacal Glee because you've shot down your own night vision.

I keep a signalling mirror by the wheel. Whenever I see one of those high-intensity, super-bright, purple/blue tinted pair of lamps, I directly shine them back in their driver's eye. I'm done playing games with almost hitting people head on because I cannot look forward.

Sorry to rant - but getting 'the brightest' of any lamp in your rig for exterior lighting is dangerous. Flat dangerous.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
934 Posts
Thank you Bosun! You're not on a rant; in fact I agree with you 100%!

I never have understood the allure of these overly bright headlights; but its very common around here, and it's only getting worse as some late model cars and trucks have these hideously bright lights as standard equipment these days! : - (

Just a few nights ago I got blinded my a ridiculously bright light on a motorcycle as I was approaching an intersection with a stop sign; I couldn't even tell where to stop, and really couldn't see anything!

At age 61, I am having trouble dealing with this, and within a few years I'm probably going to have to just stop driving at night if this nonsense continues! And good luck getting the police to enforce that federal code! : - (

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
When choosing overly bright lights (either headlamps or rear-facing), remember one fact:

You're shining a flashlight in someone's eyes. Do you want them to see you? Because getting the brightest thing on the market to blind them with, is not the way to prevent you, or more likely pedestrians, from being stuck by people with spots in their eyes from your lights.

I keep a signalling mirror by the wheel. Whenever I see one of those high-intensity, super-bright, purple/blue tinted pair of lamps, I directly shine them back in their driver's eye. I'm done playing games with almost hitting people head on because I cannot look forward.

Sorry to rant - but getting 'the brightest' of any lamp in your rig for exterior lighting is dangerous. Flat dangerous.

I never have understood the allure of these overly bright headlights; but its very common around here, and it's only getting worse as some late model cars and trucks have these hideously bright lights as standard equipment these days!
This is a TAIL LIGHT thread. You really should complain about headlights in a headlight thread. Or make your own hater thread.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts