Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2004 EX.
For reasons beyond my control, I had to have DRL added to my vehicle a few years back. Ever since the technician put in the module, my bright lights just go completely dark but the dims run all the time. The technician got the power from the coils in a weird spliced way so I'm not sure if that caused the problem or if it was just a coincidence. Just had a diagnostic run on it and was told that I need to replace my multiplex control unit as it is not sending ground out to the headlights but that seems odd to me that the dims would still be working if that is the case. I am not super adept at repairs, but I can do some simple fixes. Anybody have any ideas if this would actually fix the problem?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hello. I have a 2004 EX.
For reasons beyond my control, I had to have DRL added to my vehicle a few years back. Ever since the technician put in the module, my bright lights just go completely dark but the dims run all the time. The technician got the power from the coils in a weird spliced way so I'm not sure if that caused the problem or if it was just a coincidence. Just had a diagnostic run on it and was told that I need to replace my multiplex control unit as it is not sending ground out to the headlights but that seems odd to me that the dims would still be working if that is the case. I am not super adept at repairs, but I can do some simple fixes. Anybody have any ideas if this would actually fix the problem?
The multiplex unit grounds the high or low beam headlights depending on the ground input from the headlight and dimmer switches. If the dimmer switch is supplying a ground on the RED/BLU wire to the multiplex unit and the multiplex unit does not then supply a ground to the headlights on other RED/BLU wires, either the multiplex unit is faulty or something else is screwing with it or the wiring. This assumes that system voltage is being supplied to the headlights through the appropriate fuses, which should be the case if the low beams are working.

Without knowing what DRL module was installed and how it was installed it is unlikely anyone can tell you wherein the problem lies without a laying on of hands. Anything else is a guess. Testing is better than guessing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts