Honda Element Owners Club banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the Element could still be competitive and regain it's sales if it was re-released in the U.S. I know that it's undersold it's projections the last few years, but the people that own them ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM, and they are a great product guys! I'm apart of this group and I know they'd love to see it! I'm currently trying to expand it!

https://www.facebook.com/SavetheHondaElement?ref=ts

I'd love to see you put the new Real-Time AWD system that you just incorporated into the 2012 CR-V's into it to help with gas mileage. I have some more ideas too here in the rest of this post. Please by all means get back to me, I really want to start a fan club here in WV! I actually work at a Honda dealership called Straub Automotive in Triadelphia, WV and across the overpass right next to us we have a Quaker Steak and Lube and they do car shows! So if we could launch this fan club and get it to meet yearly up here I think it'd REALLY help our sales and you as a company! Here's some of my ideas for helping you engineer greatness yet again!

I'd like to see a few improvements like this:

Engine: Give us customers a choice. Put the 180hp engine that's in the CR-V (reporting almost 20 city and 31 highway around here) in as a base engine. That would improve the gas mileage if mated to the same transmission and 4WD setup that the CR-V has. Then, use the same V-6 3.5 liter motor they are using in the Pilot, Odyssey, Ridgeline, and Crosstour for an optional upgrade or possibly a trim level like EX-L or something. The Crosstour is getting nearly the same mpg numbers the CR-V is! Again, that'd be more power and better mileage for the Element.

Suspension:
The suspension is pretty much perfect. It's stiff and responsive to handle like a car in most cases, but soft and comfortable enough to feel like an SUV. I'd recommend maybe a size larger tire, and keep either the same width or go one size wider. Same wheel size as before. This will help a bit with ride comfort, handling, ground clearance, better traction, same turning radius, and quiter ride. I don't think the stance needs to be wider, nor does the car need to be raised or lowered as far as the chassis positioning goes before the tires are applied. Also, use an aerodynamic and light wheel like they do on the Honda Civic Hybrid and HF trim levels. Nothing ugly, but it'd help and all the little things (as honda knows best) really add up!

Appearance:
Honestly, I like the first generation and second generation design of the Element better than the lastest one. But... I like the interior design a little better on the new ones. Perhaps, enclose the headlights again like on the first element (or something similar rather) and include foglamps on all models since it's more of an outdoors vehicle and take away XM radio or something like that. Also, keep the colors and don't do anything crazy bright except for the orange color. The deep tones and earth tones work really well with it. Also, make the design a little more aerodynamic to reduce drag (skid plates that double as aero plates, similar to that on the Civic HF) and perhaps give a better slant on the roof line at the windshiels and hood line at the front. Keep it high in the rear on both tho to keep storage and that 'up high' drive position going.

:evil: Let's do this my friends... my awesome awesome friends that are the best engineers ever!

·
Registered
167 Posts
The engine choice should include a direct injection diesel 4 cylinder, making 130-150 hp and 225+ lb/ft torque. That would make the mileage closer to 30 mpg and give the E some pulling power for hauling trailers.

The payload should be increased. Add an option for a class 3 hitch instead of the weenie stock trailer hitch.

Add some sound deadening, and a better horn.Bring back Nav and sunroof options. Work with Ursa Minor to offer a cool camper limited edition.

Update the interior, raise the arm rests to a more natural height, give the seats a bit more side bolstering, and maybe consider a 5 passenger seating config.

Otherwise, why change a great formula?

·
Registered
644 Posts
The guy that I bought my Element from needed to get a minivan for more seating/seatbelt capacity. I would not want or need it, but it would not be that expensive for Honda to offer a rear facing removable bench seat for the back. There is room back there. The back sunroof is nice in my 07, but move it up to the front. Love the 5 speed. I know it is not that popular, but I bought used instead of new in 2010, just to get the 5 Speed. The fact that it was AWD and the EX model was a nice bonus.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,920 Posts
He's dead, Jim

. . . just like telling a dead horse how to run better. . .

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,920 Posts
Which? Telling Honda to bring back the E or telling the public that the E isn't needed?
Telling the "public" that the Element was needed, was Honda's job, and judging from the advertising work they didn't do for 7 straight years, they weren't interested in doing that. Honda expects its vehicles to sell themselves, both to consumers and to dealers.

Honda's attitude toward potential US consumers is disrespectful and condescending, to put it politely. If you don't think that their Christmas TV commercials hammer that point home, you haven't seen them. "Buy last years most popular models because they aren't built by, surprise, elves". "You're not a millionaire, so you won't be giving a Honda for a present, but I am." "Sex sells cars, but we don't care." Less politely put, "You're a pathetic idiot. Buy a Honda. Screw you."

Honda discontinued the Element for one reason - the same one that will lead them to discontinue the Ridgeline, and eventually other models. The Element wasn't "needed" (gratefully appreciated) by enough people voting with their wallets in the US. The CR-V, which shares much of the same guts in a package targeted at nearly the same demographic, outsold it 10:1 .

If the US economy hadn't collapsed in 2008, it might have made some sense to bring out a more attractive model that capitalized on the Elements strengths and lost some of the characteristics that only a mother/owner could love. But with limited US flexible production capacity, it made more sense to switch that capacity to building other models

So the Element is gone, dead, out of production, and since it was a failure (loss of face) for Honda, the model name is unlikely to be used again.

Though it's my favorite vehicle of all time, to Honda, the Element is now a dead horse. It makes no sense to tell Honda how it can improve something that they want to bury and forget.

So, I suggest that you put your effort into maintaining what you have, instead of into dreaming about what might have been.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Okay, here's my thoughts on the "revived" E.

1. Lose the suicide doors. Or at least offer an option of regular doors.
2. Drop the roof a couple of inches and rake the windshield a couple of degrees. There's more than enough headroom to do this and adjusting the angle on the windshield could get a mile or 2 more gas mileage. Maybe even a little aerodynamic adjustment. Not too much, don't won't to compete with the almighty CR-V!!
3. Go ahead and shrink the whole thing a little. Heck, the E started the "toaster" genre, so why not get back into it? Also, by shrinking it, it won't compete directly against the CR-V. Maybe build it on the Civic or Fit platform.
4. While we're on the subject of the Fit, how about getting the "magic" rear seats? Flip the bottom up, drop the back, or remove them completely! Works better than laying them on the wall of the vehicle.
5. Can anybody say hybrid?

Well, that's my thoughts on the whole mess.

Curtis

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,920 Posts
Okay, here's my thoughts on the "revived" E.

1. Lose the suicide doors. Or at least offer an option of regular doors.
2. Drop the roof a couple of inches and rake the windshield a couple of degrees. There's more than enough headroom to do this and adjusting the angle on the windshield could get a mile or 2 more gas mileage. Maybe even a little aerodynamic adjustment. Not too much, don't won't to compete with the almighty CR-V!!
3. Go ahead and shrink the whole thing a little. Heck, the E started the "toaster" genre, so why not get back into it? Also, by shrinking it, it won't compete directly against the CR-V. Maybe build it on the Civic or Fit platform.
4. While we're on the subject of the Fit, how about getting the "magic" rear seats? Flip the bottom up, drop the back, or remove them completely! Works better than laying them on the wall of the vehicle.
5. Can anybody say hybrid?
How about an AWD station wagon on the Civic chassis, with a longer wheel base and a base version with more spartan interior like an Element's, similar to the Subaru Outback?

The only problem I see, is it would have poor mpg, so they'd still have to pretend it was a truck and make the rear seat removable.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The majority of car buying decisions comes down to "What will people think of me when they see me in this car?"
The Element flunked this test.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The majority of car buying decisions comes down to "What will people think of me when they see me in this car?"
Speaking as one who was a Cutlass fan, a BMW motorcycle fan, and then an FJ40 fan, I never really gave a s*** WHAT other folks thought of what I was driving.

I do thing that Honda dropped the ball all the way around with the promotion of the E and that's why nobody but the cool kids (like us) bought one and why they dropped it when they didn't sell out. It's really too bad, and I have hopes that after a while, they'll drag it back into production with another name, but I'm not holding my breath.

just my $.02.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,920 Posts
Perhaps it's true of the majority of people you know (though I doubt you've asked all of them) but the number of people you know doesn't constitute a statistically significant sample of all vehicle purchasers. Plus there are some people you know who will do things simply because they know that other people will disapprove.

In my demographic (50+), most of the people I know don't care what other people think of them. We do what we want, buy what we need. We have more disposable income than the children under 30 who measure their worth with imaginary opinion polls.

The Element "failed" because Honda stopped promoting it as soon as it was evident their target demographic (18-25) wasn't the majority of its purchasers; mine was. I say "failed", because very few vehicles in history have sold as many units of a model that had no significant changes for 8 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like her the way she is.

I'm 47, My Elly is 9.

As long as I can find parts, she will be my car.
I didn't care for the later models anyhow.

I expect that in 30 years she'll be retrofitted to an Electric drivetrain with an AI controlling her. :) she'll still be my daily driver!!!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hmmmmm, I wonder?!

At my age I wonder if the shoe is on the other foot. My Element is probably riding around wondering what other cars are saying when they see me behind the wheel..............:-D

·
Registered
554 Posts
I fixed it for you. Not sure how you are doing it.

If you click on this symbol
it will quote the entire
post that you want. Just make sure you start typing
after the
, you will be OK.

Hope the helps.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Ok , I'm tryin again.I think I was trying to use only part of the quote.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.