Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backing out of the garage I clipped the garage door and snapped the antenna off. The dealer wants about $500+ to repair and didn't seem interested in the job. The base is intact however it is pulled up a little from the roof and I'm concerned about water damage. Any advice? Ideas? Helpful hints? or Great thoughts all are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Antenna Repair & Replacement

Sorry to hear about your problem. :-x
#1. If the base of the antenna is still in good shape, then lift it up and clean the area under it. Then get a tube of GE Clear Silicone. Put some under the base and push it back down in place. Then run a small bead around the edge of the base. Wet your finger and smooth it around the base. Clean off any excess, then run a couple strips of tape over the top of the base to the roof. This will hold it in place as it dries. The Silicone will take 24 hours to dry. If you do it in the late afternoon it should dry enough in the morning to remove the tape.
#2. Replace that antenna with a shorter one. See our Billet antennas on our site. We have a 3 1/2" stubby, and the adjustable 4"-11" , both styles come in silver or black. In your case I'd go with the 3" stubby because of your clearance problem with your garage.
Now for your total damages, about $3.99 for the tube of Silicone and $17.95 for the antenna. The $22.00 sure beats $500.00 and the antenna will look better than the factory one. :D
I owned a Custom Van Conversion Co. for 25yr. and we used that silicone for the installation of sunroofs, windows, and sealing the High Tops. If you do it right you won't have any leaks. Jerry/SCA

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
That happen to me in the past with my wooden garage door that was sinking int he middle and ripped my antenna out. But once I switched to the stubby antenna I never had the problem again. It has excellent reception and you can put a car cover on without taking it off.

Chief

·
Registered
839 Posts
#1. If the base of the antenna is still in good shape, then lift it up and clean the area under it. Then get a tube of GE Clear Silicone. Put some under the base and push it back down in place. Then run a small bead around the edge of the base. Wet your finger and smooth it around the base. Clean off any excess, then run a couple strips of tape over the top of the base to the roof. This will hold it in place as it dries. The Silicone will take 24 hours to dry. If you do it in the late afternoon it should dry enough in the morning to remove the tape...
That is how I sealed my antenna back up.

I bought my Element used over a year ago and I noticed the antenna was deformed so it had obviously been hit by something. Upon closer inspection the scratch marks in the roof looked as if a garage door had come down on it or not opened all the way. The antenna didn't look pulled up much so I didn't look into it further and I didn't notice any water buildup anywhere until this past weekend. As I was installing my trailer hitch's wiring harness which necessitated me opening up the interior side panel, I noticed water marks on the side sheetmetal and drops of water in the floor of the spare tire well (it had poured the night prior). But the hatch had never been opened in the rain or had wet objects in there that day or the previous night.

Being anal as I am, this prompted further panel removal to trace the leak which led me to the antenna base. The headliner was moist on the side which faced the roof sheetmetal around the antenna and you could feel where the water had run down it by the window, yet it showed no watermarks on the interior side.

Only difference was I used Permatex black silicone because my Element's colour is NBP so it would look less obvious, even though it's on the roof and no one but myself or big rig truck drivers will probably ever see it :lol:.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just did that same exact thing this morning. My garage door had the bottom wheel come out of the track and it was hanging down about 3" on the side that I was backing out of, then I heard a crunch. It ended up breaking the antenna off right below the collar on the base. On top of that it pulled the base up and it would no longer sit flush with the sheet metal. I did some poking around and figured out how to fix it without just "rigging" it with silicone. Here's a quick "how to" if you have an E with the sun roof. BTW's, this whole fix only takes about 45 minutes to do correctly if you have even a slight bit of mechanical ability. If you have more mechanical experience, cut that to 20 min:

1) go to this link to figure out how to remove the molding and hardware you have to take off in order to slip down the headliner in order to do the repair. http://estore.honda.com/ext_html/pdf/element/element-03-skylight-shade-installation.pdf

2) Pull down the headliner and look at the bottom of the base piece. You will see an antenna wire and a power wire running to it. Pull the green power wire that is attached by a clip. It does not actually "clip" on, so don't worry about breaking a tab. Just pull firmly.

3) After removing the power wire, use a 19mm box/open end wrench to loosen the large nut that holds the antenna base in place. One you get it just a bit loose it easily removes by hand.

4) after removing the nut, get out of your E and pull the base off. It will still have the antenna wire attached, but just pull the wire firmly and it slides out fairly easily. After taking the base off you can see where the sheet metal has bent upwards causing the base to no longer sit flat. I used the wooden base of the handle of a screwdriver to push those raised edges down. It worked great, but some more bodywork advanced people might prefer a ball pin hammer. Honestly, that seemed overkill for how easily the bent up metal bent back to correct shape with just the pressure from the wooden handle.

5) when you feel you have it down fairly flush, just set the base back on your E's roof with a little pressure and visually check to make sure it sits flush. If not, make the necessary adjustments.

6) after flush, reverse the above steps and you have it fixed!

If you were like my case, the antenna broke off below the collar so I had to use a screw extractor kit to get the left over, broken off bolt out of the threaded area of the base. That only took another 2 minutes or so, so it was very easy. Now I'm just waiting on my new antenna and it will be good as new!

·
Registered
2010 Honda Element
196 Posts
need help

as MY luck would have it, i've run into pretty much this same problem. my garage door isn't automatic, & i thought i had it pushed up all the way, but guess i didn't cuz as i was backing out (& not exactly fast), i heard a horrid noise & then found the antenna was broken off.

do you have any clue what a person's to do if the main part (rubber w/metal rod inside) broke off, but doesn't look like there's any way to unscrew the metal rod part out? the plastic/rubber part made a clean break but looks like the metal rod inside just snapped....

i don't know how this would get fixed, & i hope it's not gonna cost a fortune.

note: i obviously read the 1st solution, which i'd have to see if my (very busy) brother-in-law could help me out with since i don't trust myself to do it right (silicone or anything else). it did seem like the bottom part of the antenna was raised a bit from the roof, as the other person stated. [i don't have a sunroof, so guess the other solution doesn't pertain to me, & that would be worse anyway]

again, it seems like the replacement involves being able to unscrew that rod or something, & since it was broken off, nothing is sticking out that can be grasped in any way.

i did go to the one site that has the shorter rods..
i just don't know how it will work.

thanks

p.s. please note that i don't pretend to be a do-it-yourselfer in any way, shape, or form, so pretty much doing anything but unscrewing something (or pounding a nail into the wall) is above my experience, etc.

thanks

·
Registered
2010 Honda Element
196 Posts
2010 element antenna?

i just responded to another thread related to my current problem, & somewhere else i read this, so thought i'd post in here, too:

[Try getting a hold of the Ursa Minor guys. When they convert the to an
E-Camper, they take off the original antennas and replace them with
something else. He may have one or two laying around that he will sell
for cheap. Its worth a try]

my antenna got broken off by my garage door which wasn't pushed up quite far enough... bottom part is still on (though raised just a little it seems), but the main portion that sticks up is what broke off (& the metal rod inside broke along with it at that point, so it appears there's no way to unscrew the rod to replace with that part of the antenna).

i can no way afford to go have this done at a shop (unless it's very cheap) & i saw mention of some obnoxious amount at honda..
so i either have to glue the portion back on that came off (unless that would be dumb or wouldn't last), or try to get a replacement for the whole unit.. or something??

anyway, here's hoping...

p.s. i don't have a sunroof or anything

·
Registered
565 Posts
Do you have a picture of the damage? There might be a way to get the remnants of the antenna unscrewed from the base. If so, you would just have to replace the radio antenna (assuming the only damage to the base/satellite portion was it getting pulled up from the roof).

·
Registered
565 Posts
I just read and posted on your other thread, and then read this one. It seems like wake_rider has you covered in post #5. I found this screw extractor on Amazon (there are many others): [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Alden-8530P-Grabit-Damaged-Remover/dp/B000ETLK7O/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1301608820&sr=1-2[/ame]

If you aren't a Do-it-Yourselfer, hopefully you know someone who is, otherwise you are at the mercy of whomever you choose to perform the repair. Good luck!

·
Registered
2010 Honda Element
196 Posts
i just looked at that but don't know if it'd actually help in my case. someone asked for a photo of the damage, & i'll have to climb up there tomorrow to take one...

note: i posted photos in the other thread.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Element
196 Posts
it was hard to get perfect pictures. i hope you can tell how the metal part is flush within the actual antenna part (like down a little from the rubber/plastic part, but not with any portion of the metal sticking up so can be grabbed with anything).

the more i look at the way the base has pulled away from the roof at that one end, the more i don't like that...

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Here is a link to Majestic Auto Parts for the antenna. Looks like it is $18 plus shipping (#3). There are probably myriad aftermarket replacements on fleabay as well. I bought one for my Mitsubishi and got good results. From the pictures, it looks like you should be able to remove the part of the antenna that broke off in the base with the screw extractor. It also looks like you could do the repair as outlined by wake_rider in the other thread to remedy the base pulling up.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...cgry5=RADIO+ANTENNA+-+SPEAKER+(2)&vinsrch=yes

·
Registered
86 Posts
The threaded stud that attaches the two parts in the picture is part of the whip portion of the antenna. The stud is about 1/3rd of an inch long.

Here's one way to fix it:

1. Put a step ladder along side the rear bumper of the E.
2. Get or borrow a set of EZ-outs at Harbor Freight or Sears or a tool store. Make sure it has a No. 1 or smaller EZ-out bit in the set.
3. Drill a small hole, about 3/32 inch diameter into the broken off stud in the base. Don't drill int any further than about 1/4 inch deep.
4. Turn the EZ-out into the hole by turning it backwards--like you are unscrewing a from a threaded hole.
5. the EZout will screw itself into the hole and eventually the broken off stud will come out.
6. Get a new antenna whip from Handa or Majestic or your fave Honda dealer and screw it onto the base. Voila'

Alternately, you could carefully cut a slot in the end of the broken off stud with a Dremet tool and try to unscrew it with a small flat blade screw driver.

Best of Luck!

·
Registered
2010 Honda Element
196 Posts
unfortunately, the guy at the garage where i took the element today couldn't get that screw/bolt out.

so now i don't know what to do. this is getting to me - the molehill that's an antenna is turning into a mountain, since i'm not able to solve it very easily.

============

since the base is still fine (well would be better siliconed down a little on the one end obviously), isn't there some other way to get that part of the bolt out, so i could just replace with another antenna? is there any idea out there at all?

·
Registered
2010 Honda Element
196 Posts
oops.. wish i could have just edited one of the 2 responses above, but looks like i'm not able to.

a friend drilled out the old bolt in both the base & the antenna, & used a portion of a long screw to place it back in.

this seems to have worked, for a lot less cost & hassle than the other options!

thanks for the previous help (& did get a portion of the base siliconed as well).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alternate Antenna for 2003 Element

Hi, EOC noobie here! I must say, this one of, if not THE, most addicting forums I've come across. That includes all cycling sites, as cycling is my passion. So much information to be had!

I just purchased a used 2003 Element EX. It had a few things missing and I am in the process of collecting those items. The most expensive of those items happens to be a broken antenna mast. The base and wiring are still intact. You can see exposed chips of the antenna. As it is, FM has decent reception. I also pass the time listening to my iPod plugged into the AUX jack. However, I mostly listen to AM sports radio in which there is zero reception. I just had my keyless remote system installed at the Honda dealer and I decided to get a quote for the antenna. My agent said I have to purchase a whole new OEM antenna. It will come out to around $200 for parts and labor.

My question is: Any less expensive alternatives to the OEM antenna?

Any info would be much appreciated!

sworkssl4

·
Registered
715 Posts
If you can get the broken part out of the base, you should be able to find a screw in replacement pretty cheap. I think most of them are sort of universal threads on the mast. I unscrewed mine and tried the one off my wife's Corolla to see of reception would be better. It was not, but the mast screwed right in.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Sworkssl4.

Threads merged.

A replacement mast (Honda p/n 39151-SWA-305) is only $27 MSRP. Online it's about $20 plus shipping, so unless your local Honda dealer's parts department gouges, you might find it just as cheap to buy it from them. If the base isn't damaged and you can unthread the remnants of the broken mast, installing a new one is no more difficult than replacing a household a light bulb.

If the base is damaged, replacing it is a much more complicated and expensive proposition. But if you're handy, even that is DIYable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.