Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Afternoon!

I've been reading this forum for years, but this is the first time I've made a post. I just purchased my second Element, an 07 EX.

Recently the drivers side armrest / deluxe storage compartment on my E broke off entirely from the seat. After some investigation I discovered that the anchor screws had pulled through and broken the plastic base unit that attached the arm rest to the brackets on the seat (if you look up the installation directions from H&A accessories you'll see the piece I'm speaking of).

The problem is that Honda will not sell the base piece independent of the entire unit ($110 from H&A). I also haven't been able to find an Element at a junk yard to pull from. Any clever ideas on how to fix this issue or find the part I need without replacing the whole unit? Come on guys and gals I know you are all brilliant!

An alternate question is - can you buy the standard drivers side armrest anywhere?

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
57 Posts
standard drivers side armrest

Good Afternoon!

I've been reading this forum for years, but this is the first time I've made a post. I just purchased my second Element, an 07 EX.

Recently the drivers side armrest / deluxe storage compartment on my E broke off entirely from the seat. After some investigation I discovered that anchor screws had pulled through and broken the plastic base unit that attached the arm rest to the brackets on the seat (if you look up the installation directions on from H&A accessories you'll see the piece I'm speaking of).

The problem is that Honda will not sell the piece independent of the entire unit ($110 from H&A). I also haven't been able to find an Element at a junk yard to pull from. Any clever ideas on how to fix this issue or find the part I need without replacing the whole unit? Come on guys and gals I know you are all brilliant!

An alternate question is - can you buy the standard drivers side armrest anywhere?

Thanks!
Dave
Just installed the storage armrest in my 07 EX so yes I have a standard armrest. Afraid to say more lest my reply be deleted. PM me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've gotten some feedback on purchasing a replacement armrest, but I'm still looking for ideas on how to repair the old one / find a way to buy the base separate from the entire storage armrest unit. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damage Pics

Good Point.

1022111201.jpg

1022111201a.jpg

The more I look at the damage the more certain I am that repair is not an option. It's pretty beat up.

In addition to the damage to the screw holes the release button for the unit is missing.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
So by looking at that picture either JB Weld or larger than the hole washers, riv nuts or an insert wont work as a repair? I dont have the piece in front of me nor have I ever seen it in person but by the pictures, it looks easily fixable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to give repair a shot. I'll let you know how it turns out. The only think I absolutely can't repair is the release lever.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, a combination of super glue to reattach the screw well that broke off , a zip tie to bind the end of the screw well that stripped and new washers and bolts seem to have the arm rest in working condition again. It will be interesting to see if the repairs hold. The only piece I wasn't able to fix was the release latch, but the armrest sits in the socket fairly well. I'll try to be gentle with it in the coming months. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Hate to tell you but super glue wont hold. Its a short term fix not a solution. You need a much stronger bond which again is JB Weld. I would remove that super glue and JB Weld it. If you dont remove the super glue before the JB Weld your just spinning your wheels. The bond needs to be surface to surface.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I discovered recenlty that mine feels really loose. It appears to be deeper in the seat though and not the piece that broke on yours. It's going to be a pain to dig into the seat im sure. Probably have to lift up the cover.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I'll wait until it gives and try to reset. Never heard of JB Weld prior to your mention of it.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
JB Weld is a two part epoxy. When mixed right it will bond most anything. You can use the quick set version called "JB Quick".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts