Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
So I bought my E and later found out it had been in an accident so i'm slowly discovering a lot of different things that were not fixed.

Just discovered I had two broken motor mounts, one on the top drivers side and one on the bottom in the front. When i pulled out the one in the bottom front a chunk of the flywheel housing came out with it!!!!

Can this be welded? Nothing is leaking. I have no idea how long i've been driving it like this... Not driving it right now though until i get it fixed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Ugh. Yes, it can be welded. By someone experienced with welding aluminum. Can they do it in the car? Not sure, that will be up to them. That sucks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's pretty accessible from underneath the car. If they have a car lift, should be pretty easy without removing much stuff from car. But I don't know **** about welding so who knows!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cast aluminum can be welded but the welder needs to be experienced
And they may be able to do it on the car, best results would be off the car
The trick with cast is that it needs to heated and clean.

Need to see what is cheaper, welding or a replacement unit

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't think you can get just the bellhousing... I would probably just JB Weld it, and bolt the mount back up...

·
Registered
479 Posts
The broken part is available and is called a torque converter case. Why they do not call it a bell housing I don't know. Anyway, it is essentially the front case half of the transmission. The part retails for just over $500 and is about $350 on-line, and that does not include labor to remove and completely disassemble the trans, nor does it include any required seals, gaskets, bearings, etc.

I think the first option would be to try to find somebody to weld it. Try calling local machine shops for a recommendation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts