Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!!
I was replacing an alternator on myElement 2006 manual and after I replace the alternator on the process of putting back the power steering pump i Brock the top bolt while I tighten it. Can you help please with the simplest way to extract the broken screw?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I feel for you. There just isn't any simple way to get a broken bolt out. Pray that it broke off so that enough is still sticking out to grab hold of. If it's down inside, you'll have to drill it either enough for a screw extractor or, failing that, drill the whole thing out and chase the threads or helicoil to replace them.

I used to get a few broken bolts out by striking an arc and welding a rod on the bolt which I could grab hold of but that would be a bolt in cast iron. I'm not sure if a bolt inside of aluminum would complicate that or make it easier. The only sure thing here is that breaking a bolt off sure makes a mess of things.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Options:

1) grab what is sticking out and unthread
2) dremel a slot in what remains and use the biggest flat screw driver to twist it out
3) use heat to expand the aluminum around the steel screw and twist out with either of the above methods
4) drill into the bolt (hole smaller that the bolt) and use a self extracting bit to back it out
5) drill out the bolt and replace threads with helicoil or timesert thread repair inserts

that is pretty much the level of escalation I know

1 - 3 of 3 Posts