Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a little research and found that the brown tear stains in the corners of dog's eyes are usually caused by the drainage tear ducts getting blocked and the tears run out onto the dogs face.

Now to my question. Has anyone had to deal with this and has anything been found to clean out or clear the blockage in the tear ducts?

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Since she was a puppy, Gidget occasionally has exhibited mild tear staining on the outer corners of her eyes. There are more causes than blocked ducts.

Below is a photo of Gidget at six weeks and one from last February. You can see some staining around the outer corner of her eye in both pics, and also from the inner corner of her eyes in the more recent pic. It has seemed to me that in her case it's probably seasonal allergies. Her eyes also tear more when she's running on really cold days. Especially windy, cold days.

If I wipe those areas regularly the staining is abated. I've noticed in the past couple of days (as the weather has warmed a bit) the beginning of tear staining and am keeping a close watch on it.

In Gidget's case it hasn't been so severe that I've pursued a remedy. She has never seemed the least bothered by it.

Highly recommend looking at this link below and doing further research online. Some have tried dietary supplements, changing foods, etc. There are also products to clean the stained area. Needless to say, this is a frequent topic for white dog owners, especially smaller breeds of white dogs.

http://www.bhejei.com/tearsta.htm

Good luck!

Can you post pics of your dog's tear stains?

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a photo of charlie's eyes. Its sorta hard to see as we've been cleaning it almost every day but by morning there's about a button sized area in the corner of his eye that is a reddish-brown color.

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
With Tucker he began tearing as a kitten. The vet said it's merely because he was born with the herpes virus and this will not harm him in any way. He gets the brown tears -only in one eye- when he's under stress and here he is distressed and seasick as we've taken him out sailing. Poor kitty.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts