Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually I just drive from A to B, park the car, lock it and go do what I have to. This past week I sat in the car after I turned it off, and every now and then I heard what sounded like a bubbling noise from near the glovebox. It would last about 5-6 seconds and then stop.

Does anyone know what this is? I'm sure it's heat/ac related but still thought I'd ask...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Usually I just drive from A to B, park the car, lock it and go do what I have to. This past week I sat in the car after I turned it off, and every now and then I heard what sounded like a bubbling noise from near the glovebox. It would last about 5-6 seconds and then stop.

Does anyone know what this is? I'm sure it's heat/ac related but still thought I'd ask...
i believe what you are hearing is the recirculation vent closing so that outside air/humidity isnt allowed in while the vehicle is parked incase it were to be for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Close Yoda...
It's the thermostat closing on the heater core...
The clue is that the sound is coming from under the dash, near the glovebox...

(being in Florida, I guess this would be a foreign sound to you...lol)

The recirc vent is a door that allows inside air to recirculate, or fresh air in, mixed with the heated air coming from the heater core, or A/C. The door stays open if you've left this setting open.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Close Yoda...
It's the thermostat closing on the heater core...
The clue is that the sound is coming from under the dash, near the glovebox...

(being in Florida, I guess this would be a foreign sound to you...lol)

The recirc vent is a door that allows inside air to recirculate, or fresh air in, mixed with the heated air coming from the heater core, or A/C. The door stays open if you've left this setting open.
whatever you call it... i'm a car audio guy not a mechanic. :-D it's normal though.;-)

·
12,179 Posts
Sorry guys,

A bubbling or gurling noise behind the glove box is normally associated with air in the cooling system....Specifically the heater core.

The next time you go out to your E pop off the rad cap and check the coolant level before you start it. If there is air in the system turn the heat on full and run it with the cap off to work the air out of the system. Make sure you have a jug of coolant on hand to top it off with.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
A bubbling or gurling noise behind the glove box is normally associated with air in the cooling system.....
Yup. But usually it is most noticable when first starting out....not when shutting the motor off.

It is easy to check and correct as lizzurd has already explained. Sometimes it helps to park facing up on a slight incline while you run the motor w/ the cap off to help purge or burp the air from the system.

·
12,179 Posts
Yup. But usually it is most noticable when first starting out....not when shutting the motor off.

It is easy to check and correct as lizzurd has already explained. Sometimes it helps to park facing up on a slight incline while you run the motor w/ the cap off to help purge or burp the air from the system.

My 93 Sable would do it any time....Mostly when it was running and after i shut it off.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Sorry guys,

A bubbling or gurling noise behind the glove box is normally associated with air in the cooling system....Specifically the heater core.
isn't that what I said?:roll:

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Mine also does that and only happens when its shut off. It almost sounds like the wind going by the car is making a door in the system to tap the seat its in. kinda bump bump thing and when I open the door it goes away. I have not had it happen in a couple years and its not a gurgling sound like you would get with air in the core.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
isn't that what I said?:roll:
Sorry Tim, I read your post to mean that the noise was caused by the thermostat opening or closing, not air trapped in the system as posted by lizzurd.

To me, the typical "gurgling" or "bubbling" noise is caused by air in the system that should be purged or "burped" and the system is prolly low on coolant.

The door to the HVAC sytem makes more of a tap or maybe clunk type noise imho.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Question: If it was air in the cooling system, wouldn't my car be overheating?

My car doesn't overheat or run warm.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My heater works flawlessly as well.

My radiator is about 18 months old. My coolant level is fine, and I'm pretty sure I don't have any air trapped in the system since the system was last worked on and flushed in November.

I'm crediting this noise as being natural. It's really the least of my problems. I still have to figure out why my car is pulling to the right even after checking the tires, tire pressure, alignment and suspension.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Sorry Tim, I read your post to mean that the noise was caused by the thermostat opening or closing, not air trapped in the system as posted by lizzurd.

To me, the typical "gurgling" or "bubbling" noise is caused by air in the system that should be purged or "burped" and the system is prolly low on coolant.

The door to the HVAC sytem makes more of a tap or maybe clunk type noise imho.
I'm sorry too, becasue I think we are referring to 2 different sounds now...lol
We are referring to the sound the t-stat makes, which is not a gurgling or bubbling noise, but is a bit different than most ppl would expect, and is normal, so Bengoshi is correct...

(let me know if you figure out the right pull issue too - I had the front struts replaced, and a front end alignment, and the tires re-balanced, and I now have a very slight 'wander' to the right. I've had it back twice, and they say everything is within spec, and they can't find it...)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not only an Element problem?

I have this same sort of noise in my E. I guess I would describe it as a flapping noise and its only heard when I have shut off the engine and parked. My uncle who owns an 07 Ridgeline also said he has heard this in his truck so we figured it must not be a big deal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My new 2010 makes the same bubbling noise when I turn it off,stops in about 20 seconds. I wondered what it was.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts