Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a given that if you own an Element that you just have to get used to bugs spattering on your windshield? I took my Element on my first interstate road trip yesterday. I only drove an hour and a half and I think I hit every bug that came my way. I was even driving in the daytime. It looked like someone got sick on my windshield:shock:. Do the bug shields on the hood even work or do I just need to get used to it? A buddy of mine said I should use Rain-X so that it is easier to clean. Any opinions?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Seriousls, my old integra sedan was a pain to clean due to bugs but it's part of owning a car. I have the deflectors and I still get bug guts all over. It's the rocks I worry about.

Never tried the rain-x stuff but soap and water gets the big stuff off and then vinegar gets the windows sparkling clean.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
when I was younger I used to use a cleaner wax on my windows. dont remember there being any ill side effects but they still looked new after 80k miles.

it worked like rainx water would bead and it was easy to clean.

but yea. ive only had one car that didnt have issues with bugs on windshield. and it was a vw dune buggy but then again it hardly did 60. and was never on the highways.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seriousls, my old integra sedan was a pain to clean due to bugs but it's part of owning a car. I have the deflectors and I still get bug guts all over. It's the rocks I worry about.

Never tried the rain-x stuff but soap and water gets the big stuff off and then vinegar gets the windows sparkling clean.
None of my other cars, including my van, get near as many bugs as my Element. :alien:

·
Registered
715 Posts
I got some windshield washer fluid last year that worked pretty good on bugs. Well, not good, but better than the others I tried. I think it was Prestone brand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It does seem like a given that the 'barn door' windshield on the E is a magnet for the bugs. I even once a owned a VW Thing and it was nothing like the E. I have used Rain-X glass cleaner on the wshield and it seems like its a bit better, but not to write home about. I tend to use a razor blade for quickly scrapping off any of the hard matter that gets on it.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I always add a few drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid to each gallon. I'm not sure if it's a problem for Honda washer pumps but I've run GM pumps that way for 15 years and longer with no problems. My E has been using it for over 4 years and it works great on the bugs - especially since they seem to home in on the spot right in front of the driver.

I'm pretty sure that the special bug cleaning solutions are just regular wiper solution with a few drops of soap added - and a hearty price markup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts