Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering getting either a bull bar or brush guard, but can't really decide on which. There are plenty of great pictures everyone has out there on this board, and they do look really cool, but what about functionality?

In the same line of functionality, I also have a concern about the best way anyone's discovered on how to solidly attach them to the frame. I changed the oil myself on my E for the first time about 2 weeks ago, but didn't see anything really solid underneath to attach any guard too.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,525 Posts
Not having actually attached one (I will within the next year), I believe they both attach to the bumper framing. Neither are an extension to the frame or bumper, but, might add a slight bit of protection in a fender-bender. Plus, IMHO, the brush guard looks cool, too....... :razz:

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
As far as I know there are two places to attach such an object:
- the tow loops welded to the front subframe
- the metal portion of the bumper, which is accessed through the lower grill. You'd have to remove all the front plastic to get at this.

For the most part, these 'guards' should be viewed as cosmetic additions - unless the maker gives you some sort of warranty (e.g. we'll pay for all front end damaged caused by brush, bulls, or shopping carts.)

On roads like this, you need some sort of guard along the sides of the car, not on the front

Do you think a guard would help in a situation like this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey paulj, thanks for confirming my thoughts that maybe they're more cosmetic than functional. They do look cool though! Plus I like the way they look with the extra off road lights attached.

No, I don't think a brush guard's going to work on an animal that size. The E's horn is pretty darn loud and annoying, that might work pretty good!

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
They do have the Fear Factor advantage! People see that and think twice about bump parking!

Dom

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They do have the Fear Factor advantage! People see that and think twice about bump parking!

Dom
Yeah, they do look mennacing! I'm going to have to look into how much force welding one of these to the frame will handle. I've been considering attaching flag poles to a brush guard while camping or using it for pulling / pushing stuck cars. Not that the E's got any monster engine or torque, but the AWD does get me into and out of spots my buddies with 2wd p/ups don't go near.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
If you want to pull someone else out of trouble, forget about the front. Turn the Element around (making use of its best off-road feature, a tight turning circle), and use a 2" hitch with proper shackle adapter.

If you need to pull the Element forward out of trouble, use a bridle attached to the two tow loops welded to the subframe. Such a bridle could also be used in limited situations to help others, such as on ice, where just a nudge is enough.

There's another thread about off-road preparation, where I recommend a Tirfor style hand winch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent advice!

If you want to pull someone else out of trouble, forget about the front. Turn the Element around (making use of its best off-road feature, a tight turning circle), and use a 2" hitch with proper shackle adapter.

If you need to pull the Element forward out of trouble, use a bridle attached to the two tow loops welded to the subframe. Such a bridle could also be used in limited situations to help others, such as on ice, where just a nudge is enough.

There's another thread about off-road preparation, where I recommend a Tirfor style hand winch.
Thanks paulj!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I mean this with love robgt. Dont get it if you just want to make it look cool. if you just want lights than get a light bar (aka something like borkolies) it sounds like you want a wheeler and due to the elements awkward ground clearence and IS its gonna be helllllla hard. Welding to the frame really is just gonna be more money than its worth. go for the light bar, it'll be a lot cheaper and just as useful. and since you'd probably make it you'd be able to customize it a bit better. and I know an E could pull a car, but if your wheelin, you'd cause way more damage to your car. Buy a Heap or Taco.:grin:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mean this with love robgt. Dont get it if you just want to make it look cool. if you just want lights than get a light bar (aka something like borkolies) it sounds like you want a wheeler and due to the elements awkward ground clearence and IS its gonna be helllllla hard. Welding to the frame really is just gonna be more money than its worth. go for the light bar, it'll be a lot cheaper and just as useful. and since you'd probably make it you'd be able to customize it a bit better. and I know an E could pull a car, but if your wheelin, you'd cause way more damage to your car. Buy a Heap or Taco.:grin:
LOL. Thanks for the sage advice! And yes, I did want to add lights to it for sure because it looks so dang cool! Guess what I really was hoping was for a legit reason to spend the dough and explain to my better half that I really needed to spend the cash because it's really more about the function of the thing than the looks. ;-) I do want a hitch at some point too. Guess I could better convince the Mrs that is really functional rather than the Bull Bar. Especially after reading the prior posts on getting a good tow ring to hook up to the hitch.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nice! or both! if you can get it past the miss's. Maybe get the bull or light bar and put a reeth over it "For the holidays" She's Never know.....:grin:

·
Registered
24 Posts
grille guard

I, too have gotten the urge for a grille guard. I called Truck Gear Direct out of Houston and the Hunter grille guard they have for $169 plus shipping for the black powder coat. It can't be too much more than a bull bar/shin bruiser. They do not ship to Canada, so the closest friend I could find was New Jersey, and that was $50 to ship, so $209 shipped. That's practically free! That's the argument I'm using in any case...

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25725&highlight=hunter+grille+guard

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've been considering getting either a bull bar or brush guard, but can't really decide on which. There are plenty of great pictures everyone has out there on this board, and they do look really cool, but what about functionality?

In the same line of functionality, I also have a concern about the best way anyone's discovered on how to solidly attach them to the frame. I changed the oil myself on my E for the first time about 2 weeks ago, but didn't see anything really solid underneath to attach any guard too.
I had a brush guard on a 4X4 Nissan PU, so I wanted one on my TRP-E. They look so cool! I got the Steelcraft grille and brush guard, really easy to install. Space to get your hands in is pretty tight, though.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=300&pictureid=1418

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sales resistance, getting weeker!

Okay, I love the idea of 'trying' to hide it under a wreath after I install it. That and about $200 is really hard to resist! The TRP-E looks cool too!

·
Registered
132 Posts
i'd like to find a bull bar for our '09 EX, but i'm not having much luck. all i can find is '08 and older.

any suggestions where to find one to fit our E?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
i'd like to find a bull bar for our '09 EX, but i'm not having much luck. all i can find is '08 and older.

any suggestions where to find one to fit our E?
The mounting location is the same from 03-09 and the front fascia didn't change from 08 to 09 so it should fit just fine on an 09. You could always look at an 08 on a dealer's lot and compare it to your 09 to see if there is any cosmetic difference that would get in the way.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
As far as I know there are two places to attach such an object:
- the tow loops welded to the front subframe
- the metal portion of the bumper, which is accessed through the lower grill. You'd have to remove all the front plastic to get at this.
lets see..........um, Wrong, and Wrong.

The brush guards sold for the element bolt underneath the front bumper to the lower radiator support or cross member.

The upper brackets bolt to the upper radiator support or cross members.

you DO NOT have to remove any front plastic at all to install a brush guard.

If you buy a Hunter (what I have) it comes with very detailed installation instructions & you'll only need to trim a tiny bit of the lower plastic "belly pan" in order to bolt up the two lower brackets.

sorry for the filthy photos...& I need a little touch up paint on the brackets... Pat

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Thanks Pat, I don't feel so bad about how salty my E is now!

You did a lot nicer job trimming the plastic than I did. I was impatient and used some left hand aviation snips and broke most of the plastic buttons as well. Thank god for cable ties, holds most of my front end together!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I want to ether get a light bar or the brush guard and after seeing the photos I would get the brush guard as it has more attachments then the bull bar. Every one of those I saw wiggled and I didn't care for that. I am glad that they do not put salt on our roads here Thankfully. Mine just really dirty.:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
The mounting location is the same from 03-09 and the front fascia didn't change from 08 to 09 so it should fit just fine on an 09. You could always look at an 08 on a dealer's lot and compare it to your 09 to see if there is any cosmetic difference that would get in the way.
I contacted Hunter and they told me their 03-08 nrush guard will not fit on the 09, which I have :-( Is anyone thinking of trying to fit the Hunter brush guard on a 09? If the mounting is the same then I'm only wondering about how it would look around the lights since the 09 seems to have been redesigned less rounded.

Hunter also told me that the brush guards are not popular so they probably won't be making one for the 09 and above.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts