Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my Element burns oil and I know there is no leak. If you can't tell by now I'm not very car-tech wise (although I want to learn more)

I usually have to add oil every week and it's getting lame haha. As long as I keep putting oil in my car it runs just fine, but it smokes (white)

What is causing my car to burn oil and smoke? How much would it cost to fix that? I really love my Element and I don't want it to die before I finish paying it off :(

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
so my Element burns oil and I know there is no leak. If you can't tell by now I'm not very car-tech wise (although I want to learn more)

I usually have to add oil every week and it's getting lame haha. As long as I keep putting oil in my car it runs just fine, but it smokes (white)

What is causing my car to burn oil and smoke? How much would it cost to fix that? I really love my Element and I don't want it to die before I finish paying it off :(

Help us out here. How many miles on your E? The most common causes of oil consumption are, Rings, and valves. To fix ether of those requires you to disassemble the engine.

Dom

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Yes - miles, please.

One possibility - although the smoke indicates something major - is a clogged PCV valve. This is inexpensive to have changed, so you might do it just to see if it helps.

Adding to Dom's list, this could also be from a head gasket problem. White smoke (rather than the gray-blue of oil) tells me that there's coolant leaking into a cylinder. You could have a cracked or otherwise bad head gasket leaking both oil and coolant into a cylinder. Have you checked your coolant recently? Losing oil and coolant, or losing oil and having dark, contaminated coolant most commonly points to a head gasket problem.

Other than the 1% chance a new PCV valve might fix it, you're looking at major repairs. Have a mechanic do a compression check and let him/her verify engine health.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
After you tell us the miles, it will help a ton. But, you can also go buy a bottle of 4cylinder size engine Restore, available at most auto parts stores. I had a 93 chevy beretta with 285k miles and smoked like no tomorrow, put a quart in every 2 days, then added the RESTORE, went to 350k miles and never added another quart of oil, worth every penny of $6. The guy I sold it to, that I work with, has 400+k miles on it and just changes the oil, still the same motor, he just adds the restore every 15k miles to be sure. Just my $.02.
Later
Steve

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
maybe the oil level is overfilled ?

When was your last oil change?
I second that. I once double filled the oil in a pickup (beer involved) and it smoked like a tractor till I spied two empty oil jugs on the bench a couple days later. :oops:

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Guys, he said he is adding oil frequently, which infers that the level goes below the the "add" mark. I tend to not think we're looking at an over-fill situation.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
The white smoke in indicative of burning oil in cars equipped with a catalytic converter. It also has the potential to be the cause of converter failure. The oil will cause the cat to overheat, and in effect, burn out. It's very common with heavy oil consumption.

Do to the fact that your not reporting an engine light, yours is still ok.

Dom

·
Registered
662 Posts
I second that. I once double filled the oil in a pickup (beer involved) and it smoked like a tractor till I spied two empty oil jugs on the bench a couple days later. :oops:
That's just too funny, better than forgetting to put oil in. :razz:

Yes....but I've seen people overfill frequently too. ;-)
Good subject----the book calls for 4 1/2 quarts and I always dump all 5 in (it reads at the top of the fill mark.) The extra 1/2 quart usually, mysteriously is gone by the next oil change.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I use ramps as well and noticed that same thing. Some people disagree with this but i believe it does get more oil out of the engine.....

·
Registered
536 Posts
Mine takes 5 quarts too, regardless of what the spec says.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Getting back on the oil burning subject. Have you overheated the engine at all? That could be one of the causes. The other would be if dirt has gotten the engine at one point or a head gasket leaking from the oil passage to the combustion chamber ect. Its hard to give a diagnose without seeing the car. If it gets bad you could get a used engine pretty cheap. I have seen a lot for less then $1000.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts