Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone encountered a burning wood type smell coming from their E? I seem to be having that wood burning smell after driving on the freeway. The smell started after Wednesday's rain here in the San Fernando Valley area in California. I was driving in flooded streets. I already ruled out that it's not a stuck caliper as all 4 wheels and lugs were not burning hot. The smell isn't coming from the wheels/brakes. If I smell between the front tire/opening of the engine bay, I can smell it faintly. If I have the vents turned on, with the E getting air from the outside, I can smell it when I am stationary at a stop light.

I've checked the engine bay, and cannot see anything burning. I have yet to check if the E caught something from the bottom, but I did run it through the car wash with an undercarriage wash and whatever is there burning, is still there. I'll be working on the E this weekend with my buddies, so we'll check it more then.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
First thought. You were driving in high water, could have picked up some woody debris. I'd pull off the tires and look at every moving part for something jammed and rubbing and hope to find a tree limb. Also pop off the brake caliper top and look at the pads, maybe clean them up.

But since the smell isnt noticeable from the wheels, You more then likely have debris up next to a hot part and just have to crawl underneath and poke around while its cold and pull it out. I wouldnt trust the carwash undercarriage wash to really do anything more than remove salt and dust.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thought. You were driving in high water, could have picked up some woody debris. I'd pull off the tires and look at every moving part for something jammed and rubbing and hope to find a tree limb. Also pop off the brake caliper top and look at the pads, maybe clean them up.

But since the smell isnt noticeable from the wheels, You more then likely have debris up next to a hot part and just have to crawl underneath and poke around while its cold and pull it out. I wouldnt trust the carwash undercarriage wash to really do anything more than remove salt and dust.
Thanks, Slobadon. Me and my buddies will be crawling underneath to get to the bottom of this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts