Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I obviously don't have access to the "headlines" section of the forum, but I figured the newcomers to the E would get a kick out of this.

Business Week just released a list they compiled, setting out to display what they believe are the 50 ugliest cars of the past 50 years, and everyone's favorite Honda Element made it to number 45 (I thought it would be much closer to the top 5) :lol:

Here's the blurb about why they believe it to be ugly:

Someone at Honda (HMC) must have liked the abhorrent Aztek. The Element is just another giant box on wheels adorned with plastic bumpers. The roof's height is constant, so when it reaches the lopped-off back end, it appears as if someone backed the vehicle into a wall.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/10/1028_50_ugliest_cars_of_past_50_years/45.htm

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the driver.......................
:mystery:

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Most of their choices are perfectly predictable and have appeared in other "ugly" lists: AMC Pacer, Pontiac Aztek, etc. They somehow left out the Isuzu Vehicross and 2006-07 Subaru Tribeca.

There were a few real surprises for me: The Matra-Simca Rancho, Volvo 240 series, Toyota Rav4, and the Toyota Prius, for crissakes! The inclusion of those vehicles, and of course the Element, makes painfully obvious the silliness of judging vehicles by their looks. I'm not sure about the Rancho, but it certainly looks like a sensible, useful vehicle. I know the 240, Rav, Prius, and Element are.

It brings to mind how many people talk about how tires look. And on a scooter forum I frequent, there's discussion of how a particular muffler looks. Now how quiet it is, how long it lasts, how hot it gets, whether it vibrates, etc., but how it looks. Huh?

Ours is an increasingly beauty-obsessed and infantile culture.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,701 Posts
"And your little dog too"

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,823 Posts
It figures that BusinessWeek, which is 70% advertising, 30% content, would consider a design that maximizes content ugly. Coming from something whose package is a flat rectangular pad of cellulose sheets, with its large totally flat back end completely covered with advertising, it's a case of the cast iron pot calling a stainless steel kettle black.

Purely subjective opinions of aesthetics opens a whole new world of top 50 lists. If it makes sense to consider "beauty" of a functional object independent from its performance, then we could, and should, lead off with a list of the 50 ugliest major magazine writers of the past 50 years.

Qualifications might include unusual proportions of body, nose or ears, features such as wrinkles, moles, haircut, glasses or freckles that distract the eye, and odd "finishes" such as width of tie or pattern of clothing. Extra points could be awarded for ugliness of content.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It seems like they consider anything with any type of styling or character "ugly". Not quite sure how you consider an Enzo or the Prowler ugly. Heck, even the PT Cruiser when it first came out was an innovative and "different" design. I guess they think everything should look like a camry car or Lexus SUV.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I could think of a lot more ugly cars. The Edsel and Nash Metropolitan. Also the Studibaker Lark just to name a few.:roll:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Business Week apparently values form above all else where automobiles are concerned. The Element is first and foremost a utilitarian vehicle. Its useful design makes it somewhat 'ungainly' to look at.

The Pontiac Aztec was ans is TRULY ugly, however most owners (who got a reliable one) love them and have held onto them for their useful features.

BW really missed the mark on some cars- the Delorean as ugly?- Overweight and underpowered yes, but not ugly.

My vote for the all time ugliest car- the 1970's AMC Matador Coupe. BLAH.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,823 Posts
. . . Business Week apparently values form above all else where automobiles are concerned. .
Not true. An "evaluation" requires a context as well as a value scale. "Beauty" is a purely subjective opinion, which reveals more about the holder of the opinion than the subject of the opinion.

I doubt that the writer of the description of the Element ever looked at one closely, but instead based his opinion and description solely on the one photo, since neither the roof not the rear end is flat; every panel is crowned, each "line" is curved in at least one plane.

If the "value system" used was valid, a poorly executed copy of the same shape would have to get a similar score. This kind of blind bias is why the 2004 Saturn VUE, which shares most of the same exterior body lines, wasn't tied with the 2003 Element.

If I wanted purely subjective opinions that have nothing to do with business, I'd read People magazine. I think this kind of nonsense list hurts BusinessWeek's credibility, especially when compared to a metrics based list such as CNNMoney's "Best Places to Live".

·
Registered
481 Posts
So I obviously don't have access to the "headlines" section of the forum, but I figured the newcomers to the E would get a kick out of this.

Business Week just released a list they compiled, setting out to display what they believe are the 50 ugliest cars of the past 50 years, and everyone's favorite Honda Element made it to number 45 (I thought it would be much closer to the top 5) :lol:

Here's the blurb about why they believe it to be ugly:

Someone at Honda (HMC) must have liked the abhorrent Aztek. The Element is just another giant box on wheels adorned with plastic bumpers. The roof's height is constant, so when it reaches the lopped-off back end, it appears as if someone backed the vehicle into a wall.

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/10/1028_50_ugliest_cars_of_past_50_years/45.htm
Flat roof with a lopped off rear end? Most SUVs, the Ford Flex.....some folks taste is all in their mouth!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just like music and film critics I guess -subjective- not measurable facts...:x

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,823 Posts
. . . The Element is just another giant box on wheels . . .
Box is right, but giant? Compared to what, the "brain" of the BusinessWeek writer? At the time it came out, the Element was shorter in length than the Civic or the CR-V, both of which have grown since 2003.

The Element is a small SUV. Though there are now quite a few smaller boxy vehicles none of them describe themselves as SUVs.

When I see the Chevy SSR (illustrated by the truck version) reviewed with the question:
With such a long sloping hood, why the crowded cluster of logos, headlights, and the grille in the front?
, my response is - "where would you have located the headlights and grille, on top of the hood??"

Characterizing the Element as "giant is as silly as saying a 6'-2" tall man is short, and justifying it because there are much taller NBA players, or as silly as describing BusinessWeek as "a global source of essential business insight that inspires leaders to turn ideas into action. " and running subjective opinion pieces.

I suppose that I shouldn't be so upset about the opinion of an organization that has decimated its editorial staff and pretends that it can continue to be the same organization those people built. It's the sick mentality that most public companies have embraced, claiming that their people are an important asset, and then eliminating the people who created the organizations' value and delivered the service while keeping the executive drones who neither direct, manage nor supervise. When the ownership of BusinessWeek fails to understand that people are the ONLY important asset of an organization that wishes to survive . . .

“Take away my people, but leave my factories, and soon grass will grow on the factory floors.
Take away my factories, but leave my people and soon we will have a new and better factory,”
Andrew Carnegie, American industrialist and philanthropist

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wow r u guys gonna boycott businessweek too now? :roll:

The ranking was strictly on the basis of "appearance". Nothing to do with the practicality of each vehicle.. jeez..

Taking it a bit personally eh? It's just a car that you happen to drive currently..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Box is right, but giant? Compared to what, the "brain" of the BusinessWeek writer? At the time it came out, the Element was shorter in length than the Civic or the CR-V, both of which have grown since 2003.
. . .
2010 Fit is shortest car Honda makes. Element is about 8 inches longer, and Civic (2 door) is about 6 inches longer than the E.
For some reason I'm having trouble getting that picture in my head. The Civic looks shorter untill you park next to one.

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,522 Posts
WOW!! We have owned four on their list!! :shock::razz::-(

Having gone through the list, I, too, disagree with many of their choices. Goes to show you what self-absorbed opinion brings to the table...... :twisted::roll:;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts