Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one know when it's time to change the air filter. Miles and age are not good reasons to simply throw away a good filter. It's all about how much dirt the filter has trapped due to the driving conditions. Do you drive in dusty places or urban near city's. As the filter medium collects more dirt it's actually better at trapping the dirt, yet needs to flow air unrestricted. The only way to check for a 'clogged' filter is to check for a pressure difference across the filter. Filter minder has made these for years, this one I bought used at an auto recycler (junkyard) only cost me $5.00. Gm and Ford has used these on late model trucks for years.

The install is simple. Locate a spot on the clean side of the filter. Drill a hole the size of the ID of rubber grommet, not sure of the size but it's near 7/16 so maybe have to use a file to enlarge. Before drilling check to make sure the hole is centered between the ribs inside the air box.

Hers a link to the manufacter, some good reading there.

http://www.filterminder.com/

LunchBoxDriver put me up to posting this..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I likey too. We use them at work on every piece of mobile equipment, the fleet pickups and service trucks also. I've never thought about installing one on my own vehicle though!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Here's a link to the manufacturer, some good reading there.

http://www.filterminder.com/

LunchBoxDriver put me up to posting this..
:lol:..........:lol:..........:lol:..........:lol:..........:lol:..........:lol:...........:lol:

Sure... BLAME me...!!! :razz: LOL!!! :razz: Hey 07lmnt, A-W-E-S-O-M-E MOD...!!! Thanks for the pics...

You see...? It wasn't too hard...! This is one of those instances when someone comes up with an "issue" and we get a GREAT solution out of it... You have just "raised the bar" on the whole "AIR" issue and now our fellow EOCers can benefit... Wow, now if there was a medal for awesome ideas...

You did good buddy...!!!

LBD

PS: Is this the model...?

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Filter Minder® Graduated Air Filter Indicator
Grommet Mount
[/FONT]

[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Model No. 133501 <<<...is this it...?[/FONT]
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

How Does It Work?
[/FONT][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
The graduated indicator monitors engine air filters. The position indicator progressively fills the window as air filter restriction increases, locking at the highest restriction. The air filter should be changed when the position indicator reaches the red zone. [/FONT]
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mounting[/FONT]
Mounts in a rubber grommet directly to air cleaner housing or air induction piping. Rubber grommet available.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Specifications [/FONT]

• Vacuum Indicator (differential and pressure available)
  • Locking type (non locking avaliable)
  • Operating Temperature: -40 to +250°F (-40 to +121°C)
  • Standard Calibration: 8-35" water vacuum (2-8.7kPa) at the red zone
  • Accuracy: ±10% at red zone
  • Material: Polycarbonate housing
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dimensions[/FONT]

• [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Length: 85 mm[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • [FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Diameter: 50 mm[/SIZE][/FONT]

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
interesting , very interesting

Just trying to figure out where to put this on us older (round filter) elements ? You square guys get all the good stuff !

RUBY

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Just trying to figure out where to put this on us older (round filter) elements ? You square guys get all the good stuff !

RUBY
It mounts on the air filter housing.

I have one on my 2005 Ford Focus. Ford made the Focus air filter so that you cannot even get to it. The box is sealed and when the "Air Filter Gauge" gets into the red you replace the whole thing. :twisted:

·
Registered
751 Posts
The manufacturer's website mentions calibrating... Any of you who've installed these know anything about that? It seems there is a certain pressure range they are designed to work with.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The manufacturer's website mentions calibrating... Any of you who've installed these know anything about that? It seems there is a certain pressure range they are designed to work with.
The one I installed was originally installed on a GM pickup, it looks like the one in lunchboxdriver' link. That one sets in the RED @ 2kpa. I would replace the filter at the lowest level indicated, long before it's in the red zone.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The one I installed was originally installed on a GM pickup, it looks like the one in lunchboxdriver' link. That one sets in the RED @ 2kpa. I would replace the filter at the lowest level indicated, long before it's in the red zone.
Good to know... About how long does it take to get to the lowest level indicated? Or in other terms, about how many filters can I avoid changing? I'm trying to determine how long it would take for one of these to pay for itself.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Instead of running in the housing... if you have a CIA or SRI you might not want to drill into the piping.... always connect a PSI meter on 1of the 2 hoses connected to the air intake... will do that same thing. When installing a new filter you see what the air flow (psi) is and then note any changes... later on.

I use this same technique with hydrogen power cars i design.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to know... About how long does it take to get to the lowest level indicated? Or in other terms, about how many filters can I avoid changing? I'm trying to determine how long it would take for one of these to pay for itself.
Depends on the driving conditions, is it dusty or inner city?

I installed one on '87 chevy before I had the E. Drove that car 60k with the same air filter. I sold it to a friend and he drove another 10k before it was rear ended at a stop light.

·
Registered
478 Posts
From the Filterminder site,
The myth is that an automotive air filter should be changed about every 6,000 miles, or when it "looks dirty." The fact is, a certain amount of dirt in an air filter actually increases its filtering efficiency by reducing the size of the holes in the filter media which helps stop smaller dirt particles.

This means that instead of a maximum life of 6,000 miles, the typical air filter may actually last anywhere from 60,000 to 100,000 miles!

Filters do not plug based on time or mileage. They plug based on the operating environment of the vehicle.

And from what I know about air filters, a new one is over engineered meaning it lets way more air in then the engine can use. That is why a slightly or medium dirty filter is just fine for it is still letting in all the air that the engine can suck in.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

RUBY
I was thinking the same thing.....prolly where the "hose" from the motor meets the lid over the filter. It just needs to be on the clean side of the filter.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Nobody is wondering "How much is it?"!

Napa sell the gromit mount for $21.49 p/n FIL 4801
Nah.. I already figured that out :)

If something like this would save time and money, one begins to wonder why it's not already a part of the vehicle. I'm still thinking about it. My thought was if it saves me 2 filters, it's more than paid for itself. As long as I don't have bigger problems later.

·
Registered
715 Posts
It seems to me that one designed for the big diesel engines wouldn't be the same as one designed for a little 4 cyl gas motor. The big diesels suck more air through their filters in a minute than an E engine would suck in an hour.

·
Registered
895 Posts
All of the commercial trucks that I have driven have the air restricter reminder, and I just noticed this weekend that my friends 2007 Chevy pickup seems to have one stock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts