Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here,

Im looking at a 2008 Honda Element with 250k miles for $2600 with pressure gauge issues and dun dun dun, AC issues. Guy has only owned it for a couple months after deciding he “doesn’t like
Honda Elements as much as he used to”. Says the AC may just need a recharge but I’m expecting the worst.
How do y’all feel about that high mileage?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Usually when people tell me the AC just needs a "recharge" that means its leaking somewhere and some AC part or parts need to be replaced.

It could just be the AC condensor, that is often the part that goes bad first as it takes a beating especially with the large front opening

I had to change my Condensor shortly after I got my Element and made a grille protector to cover and save the new condensor

If you have to have AC get it pressure tested with some Dye and see where the leak or leaks are

Have a look at the AC condensor through the front bumper opening, does it look really beat up?

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's not the high mileage it's the previous care and maintenance that is usually the problem and this one sounds like just that lack of care and maintenance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That looks like a great Element and well cared for. I agree on the condenser being bad. You can buy a remanufactured condenser off eBay or Amazon along with orifice tube and be back in business with the right mechanic. With current AC technology, you do not have to replace the condenser which is a huge amount of labor. My 2008 E had full AC replacement at Honda years ago at $2200 per the original owner. Our 2005 with 245,000, came in at $650 from a local mechanic parts included. Blew ice cold and colder than the Honda dealership repair.

·
Registered
37 Posts
TPMS sensors have rubber gaskets that go bad. For $5 per tire that can be taken care of as well once you need tire replacement. Otherwise, check your tire pressure regularly and hold off until tires need replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts