Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Easter everyone. I have been using this great site for some time now for information while I have been shopping for a used Element. I drive a 2007 Honda Ridgeline and my wife has a 2008 Honda Pilot. I have been shopping for a 2003 Element for my 17 year old daughter and I think we would also use it for some family camping. I am located in Maryland and have been working in Philly so I have been looking at Elements between home and Philly. What I have been finding it a 2003 with 70-80K miles are running around $10-$11K and elements with 120-130K are running around $8-$9K. Our budget is really in the $8,000.00 price range then once you add taxes and tags then I will pay around $9,000.00.

So, with all that said, sorry for the long post. I find a 2003 Element in very good condition. It has 130,000 miles. A Honda dealer is selling the vehicle and asking $8,800.00. They had it originally listed for $9,900.00 Kelly Blue book list it as a retail price of $10,600.00 It has been through PA inspection. They are installing new front tires and a new front strut. The driver seat is ripped and there are about twelve large paint chips on the hood. Other then that the vehicles seems in good condition. I think we can buy it for around $8K. However, since it has over 100K miles the dealer will not include any warranty. I can buy a 90 day for $450.00. I will need to have the vehicle Maryland inspected and I don't know if PA is as strict as Maryland. I asked about the break pads and the front are almost new and the back are half gone. I test drove it twice and it has nice power and seems to shift good. It does have some extra road noise and a small shimmy around 60 mph, but the front tires and strut have not been replaced yet. I would test drive it again after these repairs are complete.

I really need to purchase a vehicle within a couple weeks due to my daughter needs one for a job she is starting. I don't want to rush into it but it is the best price and one I have seen. I need this vehicle to get my daughter through five years, last year of high school and four years of college. I know Honda vehicles run a long time but thought I would ask everyone here there for advice. I have read here that a lot of people had to have the struts replaced after 100K miles. Are there one strut on the front and back or two struts on the front and back? They said replace one strut on the front, I would ask to have both replaced. Sorry, don't know much about cars that is why I am so happy to have this great site. I also looked at CRV's but pricing is close and we really want an Element. I know Elements have a timing chain not belt so that will not have to be replaced after 100K miles. Is there anything else that really needs replacing and work done after 100K mile?

Thank you so much for your help and time reading this post. Any advice would help. Thanks again. Frank

·
Registered
816 Posts
struts should always be replaced in pairs,,,do both fronts or backs together,,ask the dealer always for a copy of carfax...the 60mph shimmy could also mean you need new front rotors as well,,it seems the to big issues with the elements are rotors and struts,,,good luck...i have a 2004 ex awd with 70k ,,and i love the car...also look into that issue with the warrenty,,iam almost sure a dealer or used car lot by law has to give you a 30day 3k mile warrenty by law but i know ifs diffrent in some states....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts