Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got an '03 EX AWD MT lined up for $7,000 from a dealer who will give me the standard 1 month, 1000 mile warranty. But this vehicle has almost 130,000 miles (still, Edmund's list the dealer retail at $8,000, even with that many miles).

The CARFAX looks generally clean, except that it appears they changed the oil only every 6000-8000 miles. That seems like a lot of miles in between oil changes. Is it?

Also is there anything else (i.e specific problems) I should be looking at in an Element with more than 125k miles?

Any advice would be helpful. I'm looking at it as a second car for basic day-to-day grunt duty (like hauling around two large dogs!)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of the drawbacks of living in northern New England: the nearest 5-speed Element that I have found for sale in the last month is 180 miles to the south. I might have to forego a hands-on inspection.

Any comments on the oil change issue?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
One of the drawbacks of living in northern New England: the nearest 5-speed Element that I have found for sale in the last month is 180 miles to the south. I might have to forego a hands-on inspection.

every 6-8K miles between oil changes is fine - the owners manual says every 10K is ok under normal driving conditions. Some say changing it more often is cheap insurance and others say it's a waste of money. - personally, I go by the recommendations of the manufacturer
This issue is always a door to a hugh debate
Buy the ELEMENT and become one of us.....................

·
Registered
662 Posts

I change reg oil at 2.5 to 3K and synthetic at 3.5 to 4K, but longer on syn is O.K., it's tuff stuff. It's interesting the Carfax shows oil changes. Best of luck to you. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to look at it tomorrow (Thursday). Wish me luck.

Any last minute recommendations?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Antilock brakes and front side airbags are optional instead of standard for 2003 on the least-expensive versions of Pontiac's minivan. Montana shares a basic design with the Chevrolet Venture and Oldsmobile Silhouette. It offers regular- and extended-length models with front-wheel drive, and extended models with all-wheel drive. All have a V6 and automatic transmission. Traction control is an option on front-drive versions except the 1SV, and AWD Montanas have independent rear suspension. Seven-passenger seating is standard, and extendeds offer seating for eight. Power operation for the right-side sliding door is available on all models except 1SV, and for both side doors on extendeds. ABS and front side airbags are now a $950 option on the entry-level regular-length 1SV model; they remain standard on other Montanas. All come with air conditioning and CD player. OnStar assistance with one-year free service is available. Also available are a load-leveling rear suspension, rear-seat DVD entertainment system, and a Thunder Sport appearance group with chrome wheels, rear spoiler, and 2-tone interior trim. Montana's performance and accommodations mirror those of similarly equipped Ventures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts