Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a 2009-2011 EX with AWD. This will be my first Element and my first Honda. I currently drive a 2018 Subaru Forester XT loaded and love it. But my 2nd car is a 2011 Nissan Frontier and I just a don’t need a truck. Besides, the Element seems ideally suited to hauling my dogs around, a 75 pound boxer and a 90 pound pit bull. They have trouble getting in the truck, especially the boxer who has to be lifted into it. And when I haul them around in the Subaru I have fur everywhere. If I’m correct the Element doesn’t have carpet in the back but I could be wrong.

so anyway, my question is what should I look for that can go wrong on an Element? I’ve heard about rust on the undercarriage but I live in middle Tennessee so salt on the roads is rare, if that makes a difference. I don’t know anything else about problems with the Element at all, or with problems with the 2009-2011 models. I’m looking at these years in particular because I’m hoping to find one with a navigation package and I just like the squared off fenders and overall style better. I’m thinking that being a Honda, everyone except my sister And me owns a Honda, that they do really well over the long haul mileage wise and I’d like to keep it under 100,000 miles, definitely under 150,000 miles.

so any thoughts, ideas, words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. As well as rough ideas on price. In this year range I’m seeing them from $9,000-$13,000, a pretty big range.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
996 Posts
Welcome to the EOC NewToHonda! :)

Buying an Element? Wise choice! :)

It still is rated one of the best overall dog haulers out there!

These are generally very durable cars, and as long as the regular maintenance is kept up with (particularly engine oil changes at 5K miles max; preferably sooner) there are few if any regular recurring problem areas. So a good set of maintenance records is a real plus. And yes, the less road salt the better. (My '03 EX spent its entire life here in FL and its underbody is still exceptionally clean!)

If you want a manual trans in the '09 to '11 years; well, forget it! They were offered in '09 only and very few were built. But, manual transmissions are much more available in the earlier ('03 - '08) years. Still, probably about only 10% of all Elements have a manual trans.

Automatic Trans versions: Starting with the '07's Honda went with a 5 speed automatic ('03 - '06's had 4 speed automatics), which should give a small improvement in highway MPG.

Another thing to consider is Element production numbers went down almost every year after the first year ('03). So the earlier versions are much easier to find simply because Honda made more of them. Add to that the '09 - '11's are much more in demand (since everyone wants the newest available, so it seems), which is why you are seeing those higher prices. Anyway, don't dismiss a well kept earlier version; it can be a much better value for the money.

As with any used car, get it thoroughly inspected by a trusted mechanic Before you buy. This is cheap insurance against any unseen problems. If the seller refuses to allow you to do this, keep on searching!

I wish you well on your search. Report back to us when you buy your first one! :)

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
215 Posts
I've been driving a 1990 Accord since 1995 (just turned 385,000 miles), have owned 11 more of that generation. Currently have a 2009 Pilot (161k), 2009 CR-V (145k), and two 2007 Elements (87k, 191k) in the family (one of my daughters also has a 2008 Element). In addition to te1996's comments, try to find one that has some history of the transmission fluid and differential fluid being changed. I just picked up my second Element; I passed on a number of them because (in part) the transmission fluid looked more like honey than the bright red it is supposed to be. Some Hondas have a reputation for bad automatic transmissions, but I'm convinced that many of the problems are because people don't change the fluid. If you're really lucky, there was a dog owner's package for the Element that included a ramp for dogs to get in and out.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
996 Posts
I’m looking for a 2009-2011 EX with AWD. This will be my first Element and my first Honda. I currently drive a 2018 Subaru Forester XT loaded and love it. But my 2nd car is a 2011 Nissan Frontier and I just a don’t need a truck. Besides, the Element seems ideally suited to hauling my dogs around, a 75 pound boxer and a 90 pound pit bull. They have trouble getting in the truck, especially the boxer who has to be lifted into it. And when I haul them around in the Subaru I have fur everywhere. If I’m correct the Element doesn’t have carpet in the back but I could be wrong.

so anyway, my question is what should I look for that can go wrong on an Element? I’ve heard about rust on the undercarriage but I live in middle Tennessee so salt on the roads is rare, if that makes a difference. I don’t know anything else about problems with the Element at all, or with problems with the 2009-2011 models. I’m looking at these years in particular because I’m hoping to find one with a navigation package and I just like the squared off fenders and overall style better. I’m thinking that being a Honda, everyone except my sister And me owns a Honda, that they do really well over the long haul mileage wise and I’d like to keep it under 100,000 miles, definitely under 150,000 miles.

so any thoughts, ideas, words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. As well as rough ideas on price. In this year range I’m seeing them from $9,000-$13,000, a pretty big range.
Here's two from Nashville Craigslist to check out:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts