• Wait for <110k

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping around for an older E, my goal is to get an EX with less than 110k miles for under $7800, but I'm slightly curious about the work that it will need soon after I get it...At what point are there maintenance tipping points? Or does this vary so much depending on the owner that it's impossible to say?

If I buy a 2003 with 110miles vs one with 150k what will likely need to be worked on after 20k?

Would it actually make more sense to buy the one with 150k miles because it just had a bunch of work done?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The E is a curious vehicle when it comes to, for what would be on other cars, "high mileage". Every car is different as is every E. Speaking from experience on 100k+ E's:

My first E was an 03 EX with 170k on it. Bought it from the original owner who had it serviced only at Honda dealers. This didnt seem to mean much since the oil had just been changed, it was given a clean bill of health by the dealer but in fact it needed a new TPS sensor, motor and trans mounts. He had even complained about the "clunk" and prior issues with the throttle. Regardless, I got it cheap, dropped $500 into it and it drove like new. In other words, the dealer isnt what it used to be. Besides that, it never needed any major repairs.

Now im in an 07 SC bought used from a reseller so there is no prior vehicle histor with 142k now on it. But, there was some info hidden in the owners manual lump of fun. It had a regular service history and was a prior Honda employee lease vehicle. At around 75k it had (if memory serves) suspension work, window regulators replaced, and some other things done. Total on the bill was around $2400 which was covered under warranty.

Both of those E's I wouldnt hesitate to drive coast to coats and back. In the end, buy the E you like.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! This is exactly the info I was after. I've seen a number of 200k E's for sale which I wouldn't buy, but It certainly seems like a good sign.

The E is a curious vehicle when it comes to, for what would be on other cars, "high mileage". Every car is different as is every E. Speaking from experience on 100k+ E's:

My first E was an 03 EX with 170k on it. Bought it from the original owner who had it serviced only at Honda dealers. This didnt seem to mean much since the oil had just been changed, it was given a clean bill of health by the dealer but in fact it needed a new TPS sensor, motor and trans mounts. He had even complained about the "clunk" and prior issues with the throttle. Regardless, I got it cheap, dropped $500 into it and it drove like new. In other words, the dealer isnt what it used to be. Besides that, it never needed any major repairs.

Now im in an 07 SC bought used from a reseller so there is no prior vehicle histor with 142k now on it. But, there was some info hidden in the owners manual lump of fun. It had a regular service history and was a prior Honda employee lease vehicle. At around 75k it had (if memory serves) suspension work, window regulators replaced, and some other things done. Total on the bill was around $2400 which was covered under warranty.

Both of those E's I wouldnt hesitate to drive coast to coats and back. In the end, buy the E you like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a 2003 EX, black, and I am freaking loving it. It has 120k on it. One previous owner, long history of thorough service at a dealership -- 7,500 bucks. Pretty sweet deal!

The thing that is blowing my mind is the sound system. I cannot believe the kick that it has. I'm a musician and extremely judgmental about that, and I have been blown away. Proud to finally be a member of the club.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to The Club. I traded my '03 EX with +/- 100k for an '08 and the only reason I did was that the industry was in the tank and I could drive a great deal and reset my mileage to zero. Otherwise, I'd still be driving what was one of the first E's in Maine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts