·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome to eoc,,i see in the ad it says minor dents whats minor to them,,i would focus in on that,, its also sold as is,,good luck,
Considering the price on the vehicle, that's minor body work that I can do myself. I'm actually going to inspect the vehicle before finalizing, but thanks.

Anyone have any experiences buying at auctions?

·
Registered
133 Posts
No auto auction experience but I'll make a couple of observations from looking at the description and pics:
1) No rear seats at all...
2) Description says 5 speed manual. Pics and VIN indicate automatic trans.
3) Body in general looks good. The dents and scratches aren't detectable in the pics. I'd look carefully for signs of water/flood damage.
4) if it's 4 years old it's gotten an average of 22,000 miles on the clock per year. That's several thou. above "normal" average. With those numbers, service/maintenance records get to be an issue (for me) and they may be hard to come by if CarFax/Autocheck doesn't have them.
5) Before buying, have it thoroughly inspected by a dealer service dept. or other reliable Honda mechanic/technician even if it costs $100 or $200 if they'll give a thorough written report.
6) Tires don't look too good in the pics.
7) Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Cheers!8)
John

·
Registered
662 Posts
Just about lived at a car auction for a period. Just the fact the vehicle has been placed for sale with a broker that deals a lot with salvaged vehicles would cause great suspicion. Be sure to take a real good mechanic (not a backyard buddy) with you to inspect it and trace (flood areas) all of it's history. Good luck.

Bought a flooded car once, real cheap----great car except for the squeaky brake pedal and the mildew smell on a very hot day. All of the fluids had been changed before the vehicle was ever driven.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Like has been posted have it checked by a mechanic and in particular for water/flood damage. Still some Katrina cars being slipped into the market from salvage outfits via auction houses. Minor body dings and scratches in lots of places can be an indication of "float" damage. With the toxic soup Katrina cars were floating in, wouldn't touch one of those with a 10 foot pole. :shock:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Now that the flood is over in Nashville area, look out for flood cars to start showing on auction sites and small mom and pop used car dealers. Sometimes they sell them fast before Carfax and other history sites can display the data on the cars.

·
Registered
724 Posts
It should also be noted, that almost ALWAYS at an auto auction you agree to purchase the vehicle AS-IS and rarely are granted a return on the vehicle. Hence why if you are that keen on purchasing the vehicle, bring a knowledgeable mechanic with you to "preview" the vehicle before.

Honestly, I'd say you'd have far less risk purchasing via a private seller/owner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts