Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks -

Thank you for the great forum. I've been lurking for a few weeks now and am close to pulling a trigger on an Element. I'd like to get your advice on pricing.

My key criteria:
- EX AWD
- Silver or Grey
- Lowish miles - 30K or less
- MT preferred but will settle for AT (since that is all that seems available)
- I do not need financing.
- I am looking to move pretty quickly.

Here's what my current choices are:

1. 2007 with only 9K miles.
  • One owner, clean carfax, etc.
  • No warranty left (originally bought Dec 2006).
  • Some scratches on one side of the cargo area.
  • Seats in great condition, very clean.
  • Has a tow hitch already installed. I don't have any great need for a tow hitch, but it could be a nice thing to have. Primary use of the car is for bikes, which will be primarily stowed inside, but a hitch rack could be a possibility with this hitch already installed.
  • $20,998. $21,833 out the door.
  • This is a Carmax car so there is no haggling.

2. 2008 with 22K miles.
  • One owner, clean carfax, etc.
  • 1.5 years of warranty left (originally bought mid-2008).
  • Driver's seat is well-worn by the door (rub from driver getting in and out); very noticeable.
  • Some small stains on the driver's seat.
  • Three small dents/"puckers" on the hood by the windshield on the passenger's side -- like hail would cause.
  • Windshield ding (not full crack) right in front of driver.
  • $19,995. $21,100 out the door. This is a non-Honda car dealer.

3. 2009 with 12.5K miles
  • I understand 2009 does not have a sunroof. I am ok with this.
  • I have not seen this one in person, just ran across it a few hours ago.
  • $20,958.

All of the above are Automatic Transmission unfortunately.

My current thinking is:
  • I really liked #1, and if the choice was between #1 and #2 based on the prices above, I would buy #1. #2's condition is not worth the $700 savings.
  • Given #3's advertised price (before any negotiation), #1 now seems priced too high compared to #3.
  • If I could save significant money on #2, I could overlook some of the wear and tear. I was thinking of offering the dealer $18K out-the-door, with the ability for me to come in and take it off his hands that day.
  • #3 looks interesting, any thoughts on a bottom-line offer I should make?

Any other thoughts, insights, questions?

Thanks!

- Mitch

·
Registered
60 Posts
I would not buy a used Element that has a tow hitch already installed because you never know what they actually towed. If they exceeded the towing capacity the life of the transmission would be shortened and additional trouble might also occur. It is best to try to avoid any possible problems.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
If you like the updated body style buy the newest one....................or, anything other than KIWI

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback folks. Still doing some thinking. I did read that sticky post on buying a new one and am definitely taking some pointers from it. THANKS!

- Mitch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts