Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I printed out the instructions to install a few of the accessories and gave them to my husband to read. "Honey you can install these, think of the money we can save." was my comment. One of these was the instructions for the Cabana. He read through it and came back to me with the facts.... .... The Cabana is not water proof nor windproof. The reason that it does not touch the ground is because it zips up snug with the tailgate, enclosing the back end. hmmm..... It will not stand up to wind nor rain was what the instructions said, what good is that?

The only alternative that I can find is one like this http://www.donrowe.com/trucktents/trucktents.html

Does anyone one else have a solution for a water proof shelter off the back end?

Thanks

Joan

:x

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
applying waterproofing your self like the good ole days of the host 1 ton canvas tents. That would be an option, but I would make sure you get a good price due to the fact it is not waterproofed already.. that does kinda suck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the grey curtains which are a coated nylon. I believe the cabanna is the same material and the fabric would be waterproof. The problem is that the attachments and the aft window would not be weatherproof by the design of the cabanna?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
humm I am dying to hear anyones words of wisdom on the Cabana, if it is the same as the curtain and the weather proof concept..

Thank you Wayland for the info on the curtain, So how do you like the curtain, did you install it yourself? If so was it easy, it looks like there are clips that go in to attach the curtain.. details, thank yoU!

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is no installation for the curtains. You simply put them up when needed. S hooks attach to existing anchors and several plastic "tabs" slip between the headliner and moulding to secure. The sunvisors hold them snug to the windshield. There is a front half extending to the "B" pillar and a rear half (covers both sides and rear). Quite nice for privacy when sleeping.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
thank you i was trying to figure out the install on that, i was thinking it might have even been like a velcro tab type thing.. it looked simple, from what i could gather by looking at images of it. Thank you for the clarification.. that is one of those items I do wanna get!

Might also be nice to keep the vehicle cooler in the summer too! Since it seems easy enough to take down & put up!

·
Registered
608 Posts
The cabana is easy to put up and take down.

We are planning on using it for changing when we go SCUBA diving.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
RML very cool (scuba changing room).. let me know how you do like it, i think it is really neat, so I am very curious about first hand accounts on how well it works etc.. sooo please let me know, i will look forward to that!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Will do.

They say (I don't know who they are, but I still know I heard it somewhere) that when you take off the sunroof, you can stand up and change in the back. That is one of the reasons why they made the windows in the back so dark.

We wanted the Cabana so that we had room, and a bit more privacy. While taking off the Scuba gear is easy, taking off a bathing suit in public at a lake is a bit much for us. :oops:

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
yeah the sunroof is more than large enough to stand up through (crawl through and more).. but I dunno if I would stand up and change back there, and I doubt the windows are that dark enough :oops:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I first saw the Element I was excited to get the cabana. When I read that it was neither weather nor wind proof, did not fully close and was expensive, I went looking for something else. My Midsize Camper Top arrived today and I tried it on for size right away. It is perfect

I bought mine from Campmor, it is very compact, comes with a nice stuff sack and I can't wait to go camping.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/comme...6&prrfnbr=11997 :D

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Can you try that link again, file not found, i am looking forward to seeing what alternative you found.. i also am looking forward to Element camping!

·
Registered
10 Posts
jnes, I'm getting ready to order one of those truck tents from Campmor also. I am wondering how you think it will handle rain.

If you look at the roofline of the E, it slopes up to a high point near the front seats. So I am thinking that any rain that falls behind that point will run along the roof and under the tent.

Maybe this isn't an issue anyway, though? I think the water would run back to the weatherstripping at the top of the rear glass and then get directed to either side and *hopefully* follow down along the sides of the weatherstripping. Then with any luck it would continue down and drip between the tailgate and the body on its way to the ground, leaving the interior dry.

Since you've had yours on now (and possibly even used it in the rain), can you make a call on whether it will work OK in the rain? Note that I'm not expecting miracles in the event of a monsoon. :)

-Tom

·
Registered
19 Posts
I haven't tried either (don't yet have my element), but it doesn't look like the campmor tent is any more weather proof than the honda unit. Both mount in similar ways - neither will let water or wind pass through the material. In each case, you're dealing with the sealing of the unit around the vehicle.

Additional bungees could provide a little tighter fit if you so desire. The placement of the element's antenna also makes me wonder about non-Honda tents getting good overlap over the side of the vehicle.

Of course, the Don Rowe tents are much bigger, mount to the ground and just allow your vehicle to back up into the sleeve. I would go this route if I had to regularly camp 2 people comfortably.

Insert grain of salt now because I haven't actually used any of these...yet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Honda states that the cabana is not weather proof, neither rain nor wind. It may be better than they state, who knows. I will agree that it fits better than what we bought.

Our tailgate tent enclosure states that it is rain proof, I have not camped in the rain yet, I may get rain this weekend so I will report back. I wish this board would let you post pictures I have several nice shots of our tent in use that I could share --- How about letting me sending some in to be posted??? :roll:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts